I had a little time tonight to install my headlight harness so I thought I would take a few pictures for anyone else doing the install.
It's a pretty easy install. All in all, it took me about 2 hours, including a run to radio shack for a connector. I took my time and tried to make sure it was in right.
I started with routing the wires. I put mine in so that it started at the battery, ran up to the passenger headlight, then over to the driver's side.
Routing the wires from the passenger light to the driver's side was the biggest PITA of the whole job. I took the connector off to squeeze the wires in and route them over. Once I had it all in place, I put the connector back on and plugged it in to the headlight.
Once that was done, I tie wrapped it all the way over to the passenger side. I plugged the harness into the passenger headlight connector, and the other connector into the factory headlight harness.
Then I ran the wires back to the battery. I had to change out the battery connectors to something that was 5/8" diameter wide to fit on my battery terminal lugs (I'm using the ones that are recommended by Randy at JP magazine). I crimped, then soldered them on so I can be sure the connection is good. Last thing I want is to lose the headlights
After that, I tested it. Everything works good. I can't really tell if it's brighter yet. I didn't go out for a drive. I am running the H4 conversion bulbs, so I wanted the peace of mind of having bigger wires and going through relays anyway.
After they tested good, I mounted the relays and tie wrapped the wires to clean it up.
Here's some pictures of the install.
This is the driver's side headlight connector. As you can see, the new ones are pink. I'm not sure I understand that decision
Here's how I cleaned up the driver's side. I still don't know what to do with the driver's side factory headlight plug. I was thinking about cutting the plug off and terminating the wires with something water proof individually then tie wrap them together out of the way. You can see how the harness fits nicely through the same hole that the factory harness runs.
These are some pictures of how I ran the wires behind the grill along the factory wires. I tie wrapped them to the factory loom at each of the body mounting connections. It should keep it nicely out of the way. You also can't see it without looking for it.
Here's the passenger side headlight area. It's a bit of a mess but there's no where else to put these wires. I organized it the best I could and tie wrapped it down so it wouldn't rattle or go anywhere. All in all, it's pretty solid and doesn't look too bad.
Here's how I ran the wires along the airbox. You can see where I chose to put the relays.
Here's how I mounted the relays. I used some self tapping machine screws with neoprene gaskets.
Here's the battery area. You can see the wires for the headlights and how I routed them basically up the middle between the airbox and the fuse box. I know I have a lot of wires there (ARB compressor/solenoids). They're all tied down and out of the way. None of them are in danger of getting chaffed. It just looks messy. I'll clean it up some day.
That's about it. Let me know if anyone has any questions with this.