header leakage/replaced idle question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > header leakage/replaced idle question

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 12-22-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
wth99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

header leakage/replaced idle question

Names hunter im New to the forum (dont judge me I havnt paid the 19.99 yet) never really planned on being a jeep person but... it happened. I have a 99 wrangler sahara 4.0 with the ax-15 5 speed, small unkown lift with 33" bfg takos, big dry rotted 35 mud tire spare on the swingarm that does wonders against idiots that dont stop fast enough. Anyways Ive had a header leak a while now had it welded up by a buddy, 2 weeks later it found a way out again. Severed the pipe in half where the first 3 cyls collect into the Y. Anywho ordered a borla header... I read somewhere on here to go with a cheap replacement but im stubborn and loved the borla exhaust on my sc300. Im not 100% on the part no. But it was the only borla header off summit. Soooo... the FIRST time we pulled it apart to replace it I guess I missed the dowels on the head that lines up the intake and had it screaming at "WOT" so we tore it back down to hopefully install it correctly. Now I used to idle around 650 700 now it idles around 1200. Other than that it drives like a ****ing dream.. no other way to put it.. its insanely different. I can shift it at 4000 without worrying about it exploding.. so what ive done so far... I unplugged the battery 30 mins or so and made sure all my vac lines were hooked up... I plan to spray some aerosol tb cleaner in the iac motor hole later any suggestions? Ill get some pics up

Last edited by wth99tj; 12-22-2013 at 11:17 PM..
wth99tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-22-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wth99tj View Post
Names hunter im New to the forum (dont judge me I havnt paid the 19.99 yet) never really planned on being a jeep person but... it happened. I have a 99 wrangler sahara 4.0 with the ax-15 5 speed, small unkown lift with 33" bfg takos, big dry rotted 35 mud tire spare on the swingarm that does wonders against idiots that dont stop fast enough. Anyways Ive had a header leak a while now had it welded up by a buddy, 2 weeks later it found a way out again. Severed the pipe in half where the first 3 cyls collect into the Y. Anywho ordered a borla header... I read somewhere on here to go with a cheap replacement but im stubborn and loved the borla exhaust on my sc300. Im not 100% on the part no. But it was the only borla header off summit. Soooo... the FIRST time we pulled it apart to replace it I guess I missed the dowels on the head that lines up the intake and had it screaming at "WOT" so we tore it back down to hopefully install it correctly. Now I used to idle around 650 700 now it idles around 1200. Other than that it drives like a ****ing dream.. no other way to put it.. its insanely different. I can shift it at 4000 without worrying about it exploding.. so what ive done so far... I unplugged the battery 30 mins or so and made sure all my vac lines were hooked up... I plan to spray some aerosol tb cleaner in the iac motor hole later any suggestions? Ill get some pics up
Welcome to the forum, it sounds like you may have damaged the intake/exhaust manifold gasket?

Have you looked into replacing your exhaust manifold with the 2000+ style 2 piece manifold and an aftermarket "Y" pipe (or a "Y" pipe made at an exhaust shop)... HTH

Unread 12-22-2013, 11:04 PM   #3
wth99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Well as I just spent the 400 for the borla ill wait to do that untill it splits again. I was pretty certain the gasket seal was good after reinstalling it. I checked and saw no damage to the gasket.
Unread 12-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
wth99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Anything
Unread 12-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Idle spec is 750 +- 50 rpm and computer controlled. 1200 rpm may be the result of a small air leak.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
wth99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm... I guess ill give it another look over
Unread 12-23-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
wth99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Ok after looking it over maby my ac not worki g has something to do with it.. the small vac hose that connects to the side of the intake that runs across the bulkhead towards the battery. I believe its for the blend door switch... that hose is severedafter the T by the battery
Unread 12-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well as I just spent the 400 for the borla ill wait to do that untill it splits again. I was pretty certain the gasket seal was good after reinstalling it. I checked and saw no damage to the gasket.
That won't be very long from now.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
wth99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Debby downer...
Unread 12-23-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ok after looking it over maby my ac not worki g has something to do with it.. the small vac hose that connects to the side of the intake that runs across the bulkhead towards the battery. I believe its for the blend door switch... that hose is severedafter the T by the battery
The blend door is electrically operated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
That won't be very long from now.
I would agree with that.
Quote:
Debby downer...
If you don't like the responses that you get on this forum, go somewhere else...
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:20 PM   #11
wth99tj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I didnt call the guy a cock sucker because I didnt like his comment. My response to his comment was sarcastic at best. You clearly dont have anything worth a **** to say but thank you for what little input you have given me. However irrelevent it was to my questions.
Unread 12-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #12
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
The blend door is electrically operated.

If you don't like the responses that you get on this forum, go somewhere else...
Quote:
I didnt call the guy a cock sucker because I didnt like his comment. My response to his comment was sarcastic at best. You clearly dont have anything worth a **** to say but thank you for what little input you have given me. However irrelevent it was to my questions.
You clearly don't have an understanding as to how your HVAC system operates...
Unread 12-24-2013, 03:58 AM   #13
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
The problem is there is flex in the system and the solid headers/manifolds are prone to cracking. The later model manifolds with the flex joints are the best bets.
Neil F. is online now   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.