head gasket or a new engine or 02 sensors? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > head gasket or a new engine or 02 sensors?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

head gasket or a new engine or 02 sensors?

Hey guys so im having an issue!!! this is a copy past from my local form want to know what others think of this!!

Jeep warmed up and every thing, no check engine light other then my o2 sensor that comes and goes when ever it wants too, I went behind my jeep and noticed that the muffler is puffing, as if its clogged or something have it gas and a lot of smoke comes out im not sure if its smoke or just of the cold weather and I think theres a hint of blue but im not sure cant really tell.

If I let her idle its normal but the muffler is puffing also the RPMs are normal oil pressure is above half then if I press the gas a lot of smoke comes out any ideas? would it be just soo cold that carp isn't working like it should or is my engine telling me to replace him?

Im running the Rotella shell oil, im thinking of switching back to 10/30 oil

any ideas? thanks

Edit:

There is something major going on, I have parked the jeep Sad its smoking a lot and I mean a lot the engine is sluggish and I lost almost half a tank of gas just coming home from work last night.

The smoking coming from the muffler smells like unburnt gas its white smoke not blue or any other color , when in idle the muffler puffs smoke its not constant, I got also when I came to drive it I had to over rev a bit for the engine to run better, then I got a check engine light I plugged in the reader and it said the TPS p0121 or something code I cleared it and it didn't come back again.

Came to a store light and the engine was struggling to keep rpms up.

All this problems just happened yesterday after I cold started it, iv had the oil in there for over a week now, it is thick oil, and takes a bit to circulate my check gages came on just for a split second when I started it yesterday, then I drove it around the block at a slow pace tell it warmed up fully that's when I noticed the smoke and stuff

Moezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 06:01 AM   #2
Jeepsr4me

check coolant see if its lower than normal. Also pull the plugs and see if they look shiny and new. Water entering the combustion chamber will blast clean everything in there, even the tops of the pistons.
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #3
XTRyan
ExtremeTerrain.com

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moezer View Post
Hey guys so im having an issue!!! this is a copy past from my local form want to know what others think of this!!

Jeep warmed up and every thing, no check engine light other then my o2 sensor that comes and goes when ever it wants too, I went behind my jeep and noticed that the muffler is puffing, as if its clogged or something have it gas and a lot of smoke comes out im not sure if its smoke or just of the cold weather and I think theres a hint of blue but im not sure cant really tell.

If I let her idle its normal but the muffler is puffing also the RPMs are normal oil pressure is above half then if I press the gas a lot of smoke comes out any ideas? would it be just soo cold that carp isn't working like it should or is my engine telling me to replace him?

Im running the Rotella shell oil, im thinking of switching back to 10/30 oil

any ideas? thanks

Edit:

There is something major going on, I have parked the jeep Sad its smoking a lot and I mean a lot the engine is sluggish and I lost almost half a tank of gas just coming home from work last night.

The smoking coming from the muffler smells like unburnt gas its white smoke not blue or any other color , when in idle the muffler puffs smoke its not constant, I got also when I came to drive it I had to over rev a bit for the engine to run better, then I got a check engine light I plugged in the reader and it said the TPS p0121 or something code I cleared it and it didn't come back again.

Came to a store light and the engine was struggling to keep rpms up.

All this problems just happened yesterday after I cold started it, iv had the oil in there for over a week now, it is thick oil, and takes a bit to circulate my check gages came on just for a split second when I started it yesterday, then I drove it around the block at a slow pace tell it warmed up fully that's when I noticed the smoke and stuff
If the O2 sensor is bad, I would fix that first. They can cause your Jeep to run poorly. If you've been driving it on a bad O2 sensor for a while, you may have clogged up the cat which would give you another reason that the Jeep isn't running properly. Change the 02 sensor, check the fluids and the plugs, reset the computer and give it a try. You may need to replace the cat is that is clogged or melted down.

Good Luck!

-Ryan
PM me for our JeepForum Discount Code (must have 25 posts) or Price-Matching!
GET YOUR FREE JEEP PARTS CATALOG!
XTRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #4
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

Well about 2 weeks ago or so the engine was low on oil I changed the oil at around 291kms at around 294 I noticed my oil pressure going down while driving I had to add about 4 l of oil

That's when I changed the oil to rotElla week went by or so then 2 days this happens poor struggling driving alot of smoke and really bad gas smell and consuming alot of gas and harder to get it started and when it does start its sluggish
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #5
Jeepsr4me

clogged exhaust will do that. But with you saying white smoke. I think head gasket. Check your coolant.
Unread 02-07-2014, 09:47 AM   #6
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

my coolant is good, not low at all, oil is normal color no milky looking, I just took out the spark plugs and this is what I found the plugs have about 40k on them give and take

looking at the pic the plugs left to right the far left is the back of the engine the far right is the front

Unread 02-07-2014, 02:00 PM   #7
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

small update, I replaced the spark plugs and starter her up, she started right away, for a few secs then the smoke started to puff and it went down hill, I think I may have a bad ring seal in one of the lifters... that spark plug in the pic I took the new one out and it had oil on it, I made a 2 min video its uploading right now will post it when its done
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Jrob05
Re-Member

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Fourth plug front the left doesn't look so hot. I'd do a compression test. To see how your engine is doing.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:12 PM   #9
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/bigm...46d33.mp4.html
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:19 PM   #10
Jrob05
Re-Member

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I foresee engine work in your future.
Jrob05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Jeepsr4me

That looks like head gasket then it taken out some rod bearings
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:40 PM   #12
Moezer
2014 JK Wrangler 

What is my next step? Rebuild
Unread 02-07-2014, 02:42 PM   #13
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4CNy...ature=youtu.be

From this thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f310/...ached-1377197/

Pull the oil pan...
Colorado Jeep Club Member #667
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.