Hawk Performance HPS High Performance Street Disc Brake Pads? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hawk Performance HPS High Performance Street Disc Brake Pads?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-07-2007, 12:06 AM   #1
NW Jeep

Hawk Performance HPS High Performance Street Disc Brake Pads?

Hawk Performance HPS High Performance Street Disc Brake Pads

They sound great for normal street driving , but how do they do off road?

Anyone have any experience with these? I was thinking of putting them on my 2002. The stock pads are spongy with the 31's.

NW Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Those are good pads but from what I've read Performance Friction pads are just as good at almost half the price.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2007, 07:49 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Van from Vanco is in the middle of a brake pad test that so far includes 8 different brake pads from various manufacturers.

Of all the pads tested on a rig with 35's, the Hawk HPS compound is the worst are far as stopping ability.

For a street rig on 31's, swap on the Centric Ceramics and their full cast premium rotors.

The part number for the pad is 105.04770. About the best bang for your buck with a noticeable improvement in stopping.
Unread 05-07-2007, 09:30 PM   #4
NW Jeep

Thanks for the info. Any data on how the Performance Friction work in wet environments? It rains a lot in Washington so I want to get good wet performance.
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:57 AM   #5
TJeeper

I have used PF pads for several years, I wouldn't recommend them for a wet climate. They need to be hot and dry to work well. I remember one time after going through a car wash I went right through a stop sign into the street- I had no brakes at all. I even was going slow expecting them not to work very well.

Try out the ceramic pads mrblaine referrenced. I have them with my Vanco Big Brakes and they work fairly well when wet, much better than the PF pads ever did.

Last week we had quite a bit of rain (for Colorado that is) and I realized I probably shouldn't have thrown out the rotor dust covers. I'll bet they help keep the rotors drier when it is raining.
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rotor dust cover?

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:54 AM   #7
TJeeper

Sorry- dust shield. The part that likes to collect small pebbles and makes a loud screeching sound when trapped between it and the rotor.
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJeeper
Sorry- dust shield. The part that likes to collect small pebbles and makes a loud screeching sound when trapped between it and the rotor.
Oh ok, yeah. Heh, I bent one of the dust shields once while doing something to the suspension. Hours later when I backed the Jeep out of the garage and it started screeching, it scared the hell out of me.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:09 PM   #9
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Same thing happened to me coming down a mountain road in Arizona. I thought, "great I'm 2000 miles from home and my axle is broken". Turned out it was just a piece of gravel stuck in the shield.

Any other brake pad suggestions for stock rotors. I was all set on PF until you said they don't stop in the wet.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:34 PM   #10
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

hey BLAINE . . . would the CENTRIC CERAMICS help at all when squeezing stock rotors ?
Unread 05-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #11
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck
hey BLAINE . . . would the CENTRIC CERAMICS help at all when squeezing stock rotors ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Van from Vanco is in the middle of a brake pad test that so far includes 8 different brake pads from various manufacturers.

Of all the pads tested on a rig with 35's, the Hawk HPS compound is the worst are far as stopping ability.

For a street rig on 31's, swap on the Centric Ceramics and their full cast premium rotors.

The part number for the pad is 105.04770. About the best bang for your buck with a noticeable improvement in stopping.
That's the best I can do without actual testing.
Unread 05-08-2007, 10:19 PM   #12
NW Jeep

Thanks a lot for all the data. I will not be using the HPS pads and will research more for good wet performance pads.
Unread 05-09-2007, 01:10 AM   #13
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'm also in wet Western Washington State. On my Cherokee, I had put Napa brake pads front and shoes rear. They were of a softer, higher traction compound than stock. They greatly improved my braking performance over stock pads and they cost LESS than stock pads. They never squeaked, not even when wet. The stock ones had been squeakers when wet.

However, I think they probably made as much or more brake dust as the stock pads. That makes for dirty wheels, if you care about that. The stock pads were bad for making dirty wheels too.

I wish I could remember what the name of that Napa pad was. They were awesome for performance, if you're not concerned about brake dust dirtying your wheels (which also happens with stock pads).

Now I do know that many after market high performance pads make much less brake dust, which keep wheels cleaner, and some of those high performance pads also give much better braking than stock.

http://www.napaonline.com

Last edited by CB3; 05-09-2007 at 01:37 AM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2007, 01:23 AM   #14
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I've also heard some good things about high performance Green Stuff brake pads. Anyone ever heard of those? What are your experiences with those? http://www.perfectbrakes.com

Check out their Green Stuff pads there in their various versions. I like the green cause they are for optimum braking peformance from 70 to 0 mph. The yellow and red are for 100 to 0 mph (sports cars and muscle cars). Obviously the green pads are best for Jeep application since we aren't (I hope) driving faster than 70 mph.

Also, the green pads are supposed to work good in wet and/or cold climates with no warm up needed. That's perfect for Washington State (very wet and sometimes cold).

Now those Napa softer, higher friction pads were also great on my Cherokee and I drove them for 60,000 miles and they lasted very well too. The Napa are less expensive than the Green Stuff. In fact, the Napa cost less than stock pads. However, the Green Stuff make less brake dust so your wheels stay cleaner and they offer the utmost in more stopping power.

==================

With any brand of brake pads:

I never choose the high mileage versions because that means they will be harder, which means less braking traction and more rotor wear. The high mileage pads also cost more (typically). Why pay more and get less braking performance?

Softer (lower mileage) pads might wear faster, but who cares? They cost less to buy, and they don't wear out your rotors as fast. The NON high mileage (any brand) will offer a softer pad, which means more braking traction and better stopping, especially in cold and/or wet weather (no-warm up needed). Now whenever I say "better", I mean better in a cool and/or wet climate cause that's my situation.

I have no idea what is better in a hot, dry climate. My advice is for Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Canada, Midwest, and maybe Colorado. Also, for any place that is cold and/or wet much of the year.

Last edited by CB3; 05-09-2007 at 01:50 AM..
Unread 05-09-2007, 01:52 AM   #15
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I'd also like to point out that http://www.perfectbrakes.com makes high performance pads for your stock rotors, but also makes some after market rotors that might be very good, but not necessary for me since I use 33" tires. I think stock rotors with some improved performance pads are all I need for my LJ Rubicon. Stock rotors and the softer Napa pads were all my Cherokee ever needed with oversize tires and heavy after market bumper.

However, http://www.perfectbrakes.com does make high performance rotors, if anyone wants them. The make high performance pads for their high performance rotors, and also for our stock rotors.

I've never used their products, but I am very interested in them. So if anyone has experiences with them, please share them. I'd love to hear it cause I might want to use them on my LJ.

My only upgraded pads so far were the Napa softer pads on my Cherokee, which were actually considered a downgrade from stock since they were softer than stock with a supposedly shorter mileage life. However, those softer Napa pads had better performance than stock and lasted 60K miles and still had half their life left on them when I had them checked. So they were great pads that cost less money than stock.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.