Having trouble starting my jeep? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Having trouble starting my jeep?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 08-25-2010, 11:20 AM   #1
AZAZEL1313
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Having trouble starting my jeep?

I'm having some trouble starting my jeep. whats happining is when I first try to start it I have to keep it cranking for a while then it will start to sputter for a bit, then level off. once its running it is fine and will start back up fine as long as it with in a few minutes off shuting it down. I also noticed a strong smell of gas when I first start it, and if I turn the key on and off 4-5 times alowing the fuel pump to run each time it will start right up but I still get the fuel smell. I've looked around and cant see any leakage around the lines or throttle body and the smell seems to be from the front. any ideas?

AZAZEL1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
blubaru2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Are you pumping the gas pedal when you are cranking the motor? That would cause the gas smell. Check your battery terminals. If they are loose or corroded then you need to replace them. That is what fixed my problem.
blubaru2002 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
NorthWhiteWolf
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my does it to but i just got used to having to "try" starting 2 times before it start (mechanic says it's a "jeep thing") but i will also try replacing the battery terminals them selvs. (just put new battery in)
Unread 08-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #4
madmilitia
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWhiteWolf View Post
my does it to but i just got used to having to "try" starting 2 times before it start (mechanic says it's a "jeep thing") but i will also try replacing the battery terminals them selvs. (just put new battery in)
same thing happens to mine but i don't have gas smell that i notice, i replaced my fuel pump but didn't replace the fuel presure regulator which has an anti leak back mechinisim.

so i gotta do that but i can't find the part lol
RJC #600
colorado jeep club #269

[URL=http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/wranglicon-my-build-thread-1091056/] [COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="4"]Project Wranglicon my build [/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL]

[CENTER][COLOR="DarkRed"]Don't grammer cop me, if you can't understand what i'm trying to say it's you not me that needs to change.[/COLOR][/CENTER]
madmilitia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #5
AZAZEL1313
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Are you pumping the gas pedal when you are cranking the motor? That would cause the gas smell. Check your battery terminals. If they are loose or corroded then you need to replace them. That is what fixed my problem.
I'm not pumping the gas peddle at all. never even considered the posibility of corroded terminals though. it'll be nice if its something simple like that. I'll have to check them out tomorrow. thanks..
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Rafikie
1997 TJ Wrangler 

stuck injector or pressure regulator
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
69injun

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Pressure regulator, just replace the one in my oldest son's Grand Cherokee. Fixed it right up.

My NP231 build
My Grizzly install
69injun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Wrangler_91
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similiar problem about 6 month ago. I checked EVERYTHING and it ended up being the MAP sensor. Once I replaced that it started up without an issue. My problem got progressively worse as time went on. It got to the point that I had to crank a lot more than I should to get to to fire just once, then it would start to sputter and sputter, then once it got running it was fine. Just a thought.
Wrangler_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
AZAZEL1313
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the tips.... I'll pick away at these and see if I can't narrow it down!
Unread 09-08-2010, 08:44 AM   #10
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaru2002 View Post
Are you pumping the gas pedal when you are cranking the motor? That would cause the gas smell. ...
How does pumping the pedal cause this on our computer controlled fuel injected engines? He doesn't have a carburetor with an accelerator pump.
Unread 09-08-2010, 09:18 AM   #11
Redryan98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafikie View Post
stuck injector or pressure regulator
+1. I have same issues. Haven't had a chance to fix but have done a lot of research on it. If you smell the gas at startup I would think it might be leaking injector. From what I have read, if it starts right up and runs fine after a lot of cranking it is more likely the pressure regulator. If it sputters/smells than it is likely injector as the excess gas that leaked is being burned off. Some have suggested running jeep, turning off, waiting a while, than pulling plugs to see if any of them smell like gas. Good luck
Redryan98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 02:49 AM   #12
ablopa45
1998 FSJ Cherokee 

Hey Try to change the fuel pump
ablopa45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel pump , starter , starting , tj , wrangler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.