Having some trouble with engine - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Having some trouble with engine

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake Line

Unread 09-04-2006, 12:12 PM   #1
godsowndrnk

Having some trouble with engine

So yesterday we took the Jeep to my family reunion, about 30 miles away. Ran fine the whole way, until we got off the interstate. It started running really rough, wanting to stall, and backfiring. We let it set for a few minutes, started it up, and it was fine. Then last night we went to a friends house. Took the interstate with no problems. Exited, and as soon as we started into town, same thing. Smelled strong gas odors, backfiring, and wanting to stall. Again, turned it off for a minute, started it back up, and it ran fine. I made an intake with an old K&N, and some p.v.c. Could the new air flow be affecting the computer? It only happens when we go from interstate speeds, down to city speeds. If I start off in town, and stay around here, it doesn't happen. Plus the fact that when I turn it off, and restart it, it works fine again. Almost like it's resetting itself. Ideas please. Thanks.

godsowndrnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 12:31 PM   #2
Conundrum

Doubt the intake has anything to do with it. Might be a sensor issue. Any codes?
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 12:37 PM   #3
godsowndrnk

if there were codes, they would come up on the odometer screen, right? If so, I didn't see any. I'm going to pick it up in a few minutes, and drive it back home the same way I took it in. Hopefully it will act up again, and I can look for codes.
Unread 09-04-2006, 12:46 PM   #4
Conundrum

I think to see if you have any codes on yours, you have to turn the key on and off three times. On the third time on, leave it on and it will display if there are any.
Conundrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #5
redvett94

If there are codes the SES light will be on. Not always does the SES go on and there most likely be a basic problem like coolant, airfilter, fuel or many more simple things that could be wrong.
Unread 09-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
godsowndrnk

Just drove it back home. It is worse today than yesterday. I actually had to pull over because it wouldn't run. The "Check Engine" light is now on too. How exactly do I check for codes?

ok, i just tried the on off on off on thing, and it didn't give me any codes. any other ideas? other than a garage?

Last edited by godsowndrnk; 09-04-2006 at 02:19 PM..
Unread 09-04-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a code reader or go to a parts store that will do it for you.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.