Having A Hard Time Getting Into 2nd Gear From 1st Gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Having A Hard Time Getting Into 2nd Gear From 1st Gear

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 11-20-2005, 07:56 PM   #1
jillyjill

Having A Hard Time Getting Into 2nd Gear From 1st Gear

Hi,
I am a proud new Jeep owner - I bought a 98 TJ Sahara model that is a 5 speed. It has about 82K miles, so I am assuming my clutch may be going, but I know people who have had jeeps for 120K miles with no clutch repair.
Every gear is working well except when I go from 1st to 2nd, every second or third time that I shift into 2nd, I have trouble getting it to go in. It's not grinding, but I have to leave the clutch in and force it into gear.
Has anyone had a similar problem?
If it is going to take a full clutch repair, does anyone know what these run?
Thanks!
Jill

jillyjill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
SittingDuck

I dont know if I can help but I have a brand new 05 Jeep Wrangler and 2nd gear is a little tougher to get into than all the others. I was wondering the same thing myself. Just so you know you are not alone! Good Luck!
[FONT=Impact][SIZE=1]Clarion DXZ845 / Sony XE-744 / Garmin GPSMap 60CS W/ Mount / Kargo Master Congo Cage / Yakima 58" Crossbars / Lowrider Towers / Loadwarrior Basket / Jeeperman 54P Winchready Front Bumper / Jeeperman TJ Swingaway Rear Bumper / Jeeperman Diamondplate Trail Skids / Rubicon MOAB Alloys / 31" MT/R's / RE 2" BB / [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="1"]Tuffy Overhead Security Console w/ Uniden PC78LTW CB Radio[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="1"] / Midland 75-822 Handlheld CB Tranceiver[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT="Impact"][SIZE="1"] / Ultimate Air Multi Force 10 XT Series Air System [/SIZE][/FONT]
SittingDuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Muddy Tj Zack

Not sure what the weather is like were you are from....but there are two shifter boots on your 5 speed a lower one and an upper one (you cant see the lower one) and they tend to be a little stiff on the shifter rod esp in the cold weather they like to freeze up. Some people cut the lower one because you cant see that one to loosen it up a lil bit. Mine does the same thing but only in the cold. If it does it all the time it might be a syncronizer. My buddys went out in his mustang and if you dont shift at perfect RPM's it would grind a lil. As for a full on clutch rebuild i dont think that will be your issue. A lot of people run big tires with 200,000 miles without a clutch problem (I have 35's and 152,000 mi) but just for prices my S-10 clutch was $100 with lifetime warranty, but i did all the work myself. The local shop wanted $400 dollars (with parts and labor), and another guy wanted $300 (with parts and labor). Labor is alot because you have to drop the Tranny. I hope this helps ya out a little bit.
'97 Tj Sport, 4.6L Stroker, 5-Speed, 4-in suspension lift, 35" TrXus M/t's, Dana30/Ford 8.8 w/ Aussie Locker, Teraflex ExtremeShort SYE, custom front and rear bumpers, Flowmaster Off-road Series, and a bunch of other goodies........MoPar or No-Car!!!
Muddy Tj Zack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

not the clutch, i had the same prob so i replaced my clutch and it still does it, so when you find out please let me know, also my boot is removed due to bl, and i forgot to put lower one back on and still did it, dealership was cheapest place for clutch kit

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:41 PM   #5
Muddy Tj Zack

They cheapest clutch i found for my S-10 was AutoZone....so check there to if you think that will be the problem. Make sure you shop around though cuz there was over 100 dollar difference in some when i went lookin
'97 Tj Sport, 4.6L Stroker, 5-Speed, 4-in suspension lift, 35" TrXus M/t's, Dana30/Ford 8.8 w/ Aussie Locker, Teraflex ExtremeShort SYE, custom front and rear bumpers, Flowmaster Off-road Series, and a bunch of other goodies........MoPar or No-Car!!!
Muddy Tj Zack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:45 PM   #6
BobboTJ

Ive heard about this from alot of people, 1st to 2nd seems to be my easiest shift too. Its most likely not your clutch goin out. I would try to come in at some other angles. On my previous truck the shifter was a piece of crap and it would have problems goin into any gear. I just had to learn the sweet spots after awhile, so maybe you gotta do the same. Good Luck
-Black Steelies
-Custom Fabbed Front Bumper
-Herculined Tub
Comin soon-4.10's, 1" BL/MML, Skids
BobboTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 08:55 PM   #7
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Jill,
Your '98 Sahara has an AX-15 transmission. They are well noted for being somewhat notchy when shifting from 1st to 2nd gear. I have a '98 Sahara....I've lived with it since day #1. I doubt it is your clutch....it if were, you would be having issues getting into all gears....the clutch doesn't discrimiate when it comes to shifting.

The comments about the inner shift boot is valid and can often times improve the situation. Try it.

If that doesn't get you the results you want, change the fluid in your transmission. You want to replace it with Redline MT-90. If you can not find it at a local parts store (usually a hot rod or speed shop will carry it), then order it from Summit Racing on-line. It is MUCH better than the factory fluid (hard to even say if yours has been changed) and will also help improve the 1st to 2nd shift issue with the AX-15 tranny.

Your tranny takes 3.25 quarts of fluid, so pick up 4 quarts.

Good luck!
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2005, 10:20 PM   #8
BobboTJ

What about royal purple, how would that compare to redline?
-Black Steelies
-Custom Fabbed Front Bumper
-Herculined Tub
Comin soon-4.10's, 1" BL/MML, Skids
BobboTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 12:06 AM   #9
sparkeep
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SittingDuck
I dont know if I can help but I have a brand new 05 Jeep Wrangler and 2nd gear is a little tougher to get into than all the others. I was wondering the same thing myself. Just so you know you are not alone! Good Luck!
Same here. I bought a new 2005 in June and it was sweet until it started getting colder out. With winter fast approaching, the transmission is a little tempermental going from 1st to 2nd. Once the tranny/engine warm up everything is great.

If you shift slowly when it is still cold it doesn't make any noise but if you force it you can hear the synchro's engage with a clunk/grind sound.

Kind of annoying but I think it is a "feature" of the 6-speed tranny.
Toronto, ON, Canada
sparkeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 12:33 AM   #10
got_4_lo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobboTJ
What about royal purple, how would that compare to redline?
redline = better ... runs a bit better, lubricates a bit better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTJ
I came home to be spit on and protested against in Boulder, Colorado. Most of the people have no clue. And that's why we do what we do. We give up our freedom so they can enjoy their freedom.
got_4_lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 04:38 AM   #11
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ditto what Stu said, dont try to "fix" it because you'll only spend $ and get aggravated. MT90 helps, but as the outside temps drop, you'll still notice it more than warmer days. And just to cheer you up, something else you'll notice as it gets colder, the OEM radiators tend to leak more.......

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #12
DeesTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

???

goodluck working out the hardware issues..until then...

try pausing for a second in your shift between 1st and 2nd.

push the clutch in. Move the stick to N (keep holding the clutch OR relase for a moment and push it back down). Give the RPM's time to fall (usually about 1-2 seconds during normal take-off).then move the stick to 2nd and complete your shift.

hope that makes sense...and helps a bit.
Unread 01-30-2011, 12:45 PM   #13
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I am having the same problem. I am running an expensive amsoil synthetic in my manual transmission. Is this MT-90 that much better? Would it be worth it?

Why would thicker oil be a problem? I figure it would coat the gears better.
gatesjeff33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 01:10 PM   #14
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatesjeff33 View Post
I am having the same problem. I am running an expensive amsoil synthetic in my manual transmission. Is this MT-90 that much better? Would it be worth it?

Why would thicker oil be a problem? I figure it would coat the gears better.
Put synthetic 10w-30 motor oil in it, I've done it and almost everyone else who has done is says the same thing, it shifts like butta'.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #15
gatesjeff33
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Put synthetic 10w-30 motor oil in it, I've done it and almost everyone else who has done is says the same thing, it shifts like butta'.
I'd be hesitant to do that because I am often towing an extra 2,000 lbs behind the jeep.
gatesjeff33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.