Have any of you heard this before? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Have any of you heard this before?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-16-2005, 07:19 PM   #1
hexum08

Have any of you heard this before?

Hi!

I am very interested in purchasing a 2001 Sport with 40,000 miles on it, however it seems to have one problem.

The current owner says the check engine light is always on because of the way he fills up his gas tank. Evidently, he is able to get his gas for free and tops himself off everyday at work, sometimes he forgets to shut the car off while filling up the tank. After doing this, the engine light comes on and stays on.

Assume you believe his story for a minute, would the check engine light come on if he filled up his car while running? I took a look at the engine codes which would correspond to this but didn't see anything (although there could be room for interpretation).

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow night (Tuesday) so please reply if you know anything of this subject. Thank you very much!! - Eric (my first post!)

hexum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
articulate

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexum08
Hi!

I am very interested in purchasing a 2001 Sport with 40,000 miles on it, however it seems to have one problem.

The current owner says the check engine light is always on because of the way he fills up his gas tank. Evidently, he is able to get his gas for free and tops himself off everyday at work, sometimes he forgets to shut the car off while filling up the tank. After doing this, the engine light comes on and stays on.

Assume you believe his story for a minute, would the check engine light come on if he filled up his car while running? I took a look at the engine codes which would correspond to this but didn't see anything (although there could be room for interpretation).

I'm going to look at the car tomorrow night (Tuesday) so please reply if you know anything of this subject. Thank you very much!! - Eric (my first post!)
I almost hate to answer this way, but I don't buy this "sometimes I forget to turn off my car when filling up" crappola.

"Sometimes I forget to disclose all of the problems with my car to prospective buyers."

I don't know, dude. Caveat emptor.
articulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #3
Spiderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexum08
Hi!

Sounds like a story, however sometimes if the gas cap isn't seated properly it can cause problems, but I don't remember what problems.
33 X 12.50 BFG A/T's with A/R Atlas 15 X 8 wheels
4.56's, RE 3.5" lift, Currie 1" BL, M.O.R.E. 1" MML
Aussie D30 Locker, & other crap[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Spiderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

test drive it to auto zone and have them check it

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 07:56 PM   #5
nocturne

I was thinking the same thing. Take it to Autozone they will check it for free. Usually the O2 sensor has gone bad. It cost about $50-60 bucks to replace depending on the make and model.

BTW make sure you are wearing boots when you talk to the guy cause the BullSh!t is getting deep around him

03 KLR 650
00 SuperHawk
03 X
nocturne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #6
RLD831
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I have a 2001 SE and the check engine light won't come on, but if the gas cap isn't clicked the critical engine warning light will come on. Its the yellow one, not the red one. To fix it you just have to twist the cap 'til it clicks. If it is in fact the red check engine light, then he is just plain lying.
RLD831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 08:04 PM   #7
Alec

Autozone dude .... get it checked.

If it is the gas cap thingy, go for it. If it is not, run as fast as you can.

I know that TJ;s are like puppies .... one cannot resist to save one from a bad owner.

[CENTER]
Powertrain envy sufferer - Softop tinkerer [/CENTER]
Alec is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
jeeper13
1985 CJ8 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alec
Autozone dude .... get it checked.

If it is the gas cap thingy, go for it. If it is not, run as fast as you can.

I know that JEEP's are like puppies .... one cannot resist to save one from a bad owner.
good one, fixed it for you though

at 1st I was thinking BS, but it could be the fuel cap after thinking about all the TJ owners I have read about who failed inspection due to a bad gas cap..

but do like the others above said, take it to the zone to get tested.

good luck

[COLOR=Lime][B]Parrothead Jeep club member #13[/B] [/COLOR]

[B][URL=http://www.wranglerunlimited.com] [COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][I][B]www.WranglerUnlimited.com[/B][/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL][/B]
jeeper13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
GUMSHOO

Not sure about a jeep but several vehicles will do this if the gas cap is not seated and the engine left running while you fill up. If you then drive away it creates some kind of vapor lock or air pocket causing the computer to sense something is wrong. It can be reset by the computer fairly cheap . Good Luck
GUMSHOO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 09:19 PM   #10
ColoradoTJ
2012 JK Wrangler 

He most likley is being truthful about what he feels the problem is, but why risk it. Even if the light was not on I would take it in had have it looked over.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #60

My Jeep

"If we weren't all crazy we would go insane" J.B.
ColoradoTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2005, 09:31 PM   #11
03jeeper78

I accidentally drove the 1 mile home from the gas station with the gas cap off once. The check engine light does come on, and the Jeep idled very very strangely. It would rev itself while I had the clutch in during a gear shift. It did that for about 2 days untill the pressure and everything had equalized or whatever it does and it was happy again. The light went off on its own.
BSMCCEP Club Member #45
Stock: 4.0L I6:5-speed:3.07 gears:D35 with Trac-Loc:15x7 Ecco wheels:Dual Top Group
Mods: 30x9.5 BFG A-T T/A KO's:JKS Quicker disconnects:Rock-It Man rocker guards:Jeep Medic oil pan/tranny skid:Kilby steering skid:Warn D30 diff guard:C4x4 D35 diff guard:Rusty's radiator guard:Skid Row LCA skids:SilverStar headlights and fogs:Hidden Hitch class III receiver:Old Realistic 40ch CB:2' Firestik II:Arizona Rocky Road tailgate antenna mount
Next : Jeeperman rear bumper

'06 Candy Orange Honda Shadow Spirit 750
03jeeper78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:36 AM   #12
JezterVA

Yep, same here. Someone decided to siphon some gas out of my tank one night and left the cap off. The Yellow engine warning light came on and went off on it's own after about 4-5 days of normal drivng.
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:43 AM   #13
jeepman14wheel

It happened to me also, the cap was not tight and the light came on. Once the cap was tight, the light went off after about an hour. It could be the cap, but like everyone else, take it to Autozone.
Unread 05-17-2005, 07:47 AM   #14
two4zero

this is accurate

If he does in fact top off the car with it running it can potentially cause the check engine light to come on. Check with any automotive dealer and they will tell you the same thing. I should know I have worked at several. Anyway, all you should have to do to turn the light off is to unhook the battery for about 5 minutes. This will reset the light. If you are going to test drive it do this first before driving. That way when you get in the car and start driving you can watch the light. If it come on again it is something other than him filling up while it is running. If it stays off he is accurate in what he is telling you. You can also do as these others said and take it to auto zone but the way I mentioned may be easier for you.
Unread 05-17-2005, 08:03 AM   #15
Baas

Check engine light can be reset. Remove the positive battery terminal for about 2 minutes. Reconnect and start up. The light should be out if the problem is sorted.

Errors stay in the memory and resets after a number of start ups.
Skyjacker 2" body lift
Safari Snorkel
35" Procomp X-terrain
Mickey Thompson Classic lock
Aussie locker front & rear
4.88 gears
CV Drive shaft
4WD SYE
215 Ponies I6[/FONT]
Baas is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.