Has anyone installed the full Metalcloak lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has anyone installed the full Metalcloak lift?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 03-03-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Techwrench
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Has anyone installed the full Metalcloak lift?

Hello everyone. I am new to the forum and was hoping to get some help deciding on a lift for my 2001 TJ. I know this question is asked a lot but I was looking at both the Metalcloak lift with the OME shocks or the Savvy/J.J. kit. I see the Savvy kit is well proven from the searching I have done. I have seen some using the Metalcloak bushings but durability have not been proven as of yet. My jeep is primarily a daily driver so road manners are extremely important to me. I do hit the trail but not nearly as much as I would like. The trails here are a variety of mud, rocks, and coal (Coal is like being in the sand.) The mud and coal is what I worry about with using the Johnny Joints. The Duroflex joints appear to be less likely to be damaged or need immediate servicing from the mud and coal. I plan on running 33" tires with the possibility for 35" later. Then I can add the body lift and and MM lift to fit the 35" tires. Thanks!

Techwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
TODD54
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Debating this same question myself

Can't find any reviews on the TJ lift from Metalcloak. Looking forward to more feedback
Unread 03-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #3
JeepZJlover
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I haven't seen many reviews yet but when I get the money I fully intend on getting this kit. So if anyone has experience with it do come forward please..
1993 Cherokee 4dr SE green, 4.0, Auto, HP30, 8.25, 3" lift 31" Goodyear Duratracs, Custom made front recovery bumper, Kenwood radio, 12" alpine type e subwoofer,alpine amplifier, Smittybilt xrc8 winch, tuff stuff portable winch receiver custom modified. 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0, 5 speed, Dana 30 front, Dana 44 trac loc rear, Stock
JeepZJlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
Kiwi_TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Have you seen this thread?
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ho...ks-up-1482467/
Kiwi_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #5
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

That is the bushing swap, but as far as a full lift review I can not find anything really but JK installs. I am thinking about getting the coils and control arms to replace my current 3.5 lift set up. I would be keeping my bilsteins though. The shocks are brand new.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2013, 10:20 PM   #6
Techwrench
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I was hoping to hear some reviews or thoughts about the entire lift kit. Especially compared to the Savvy kit
Techwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 06:52 AM   #7
tonysgarage
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Metalcloak or Savvy

I look forward to some more reviews on the Metalcloak as well. I have been contemplating the same decision on which kit to get for my 99TJ. Have you looked into the Currie Antirock sway bar kits? I know you can order a suspension kit from Savvy with that included as well, like here

http://shop.savvyoffroad.com/product...4&categoryId=2

Whichever way I lean on suspension lifts (Metalcloak or Savvy) I think I will still order the ANTIROCK Sway bar kits. Itís nice to place one order and I always find you can get better deals with larger purchases which leans me to the Savvy JJ Kit. For Reference and quick link here is the comparable Metalcloak kit I was looking into

http://www.metalcloak.com/TJ-LJ-Wran...tem-p/7153.htm
tonysgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:15 AM   #8
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, let's think about this. What are all of the components that make up a full suspension?

Springs--I've only heard good things but haven't used these myself
Shocks--OME shocks are well-known to work well. Not my personal choice but nice nonetheless
Control arms--the ends are what matters and those kick *** and you're hearing that straight from a huge JJ fan.
Track bars--haven't checked out MC's bars yet but after talking with the guys, they know what they're doing

I don't think you can go wrong. I'd still go with some Currie sway bars if you end up going with MC components.
Imped is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
J03_TJ
Self Smarted

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped
Control arms--the ends are what matters and those kick *** and you're hearing that straight from a huge JJ fan.

I don't think you can go wrong......
I think you know what you are talking about and generally have good interpretations on things. You've only had your joints installed for a week or two or maybe a little more?? Are you sure the joints will hold up over time with some wear and tear? Just seems a little early, I didn't expect you to start promoting the Duroflex joint until yours had some life testing under their belt.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #10
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I think you know what you are talking about and generally have good interpretations on things. You've only had your joints installed for a week or two or maybe a little more?? Are you sure the joints will hold up over time with some wear and tear? Just seems a little early, I didn't expect you to start promoting the Duroflex joint until yours had some life testing under their belt.
As I said in my thread, I have no reason to believe they won't hold up. But that's not what I'm even talking about in regards to them kicking ***. All I'm saying is the OP can't go wrong whether he goes with JJ's or MC's.
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:14 AM   #11
tonysgarage
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Imped i have read your review on the MC bushings and I do believe they are good quality. As for durability over time I would have to agree with J03 TJ that only time will tell how they hold up.
tonysgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #12
aparke4
Web Wheeler

2001 TJ Wrangler 

JK guys have over 40k on them- zero issues!

It is nice to see innovation on the older TJ platform- their complete line of armor and suspension is proof that you can kinda reinvent the "TJ" wheel.
aparke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #13
Moabrubi
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
X2.. How long can rubber really last under those conditions? Will they last 10 years like I hear some guys with JJ's?

Duroflex look nice, but I just picked up a set of arms with a proven joint. No intention of switching.
Moabrubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #14
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

There is no glaring reason for me to believe they won't hold up.....and if a durability weakness will be exposed, it'll happen under my Jeep due to the unique loads they're seeing (they aren't seeing those loads under standard TJ/JK 5 links). I don't foresee it being an issue at all.
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #15
GMBNT42
Web Wheeler
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imped View Post
Well, let's think about this. What are all of the components that make up a full suspension?

Springs--I've only heard good things but haven't used these myself
Shocks--OME shocks are well-known to work well. Not my personal choice but nice nonetheless
Track bars--haven't checked out MC's bars yet but after talking with the guys, they know what they're doing

I don't think you can go wrong. I'd still go with some Currie sway bars if you end up going with MC components.
I personally think an "ultimate" BOLT on SETUP would consist on products from Both camps(Currie/Savvy and Metalcloak)with maybe a product or 2 from another company. Here is my take:

A. Shocks.....Metal Cloak 6paks are the first choice IMO. They have an effective compressed length of 14.5" up front and roughly the same 14.5" out back as well. For a long travel shock it has the shortest compressed length. They are rebuildable, can be custom valved, have built in reservoirs. They will fit in the stock locations too(but it would be a bit of a tast to outboard them). They also have by far and away the most travel.

A second choice would probably be King's OEM performance shock. I like these. Compressed length for given travel is better than most.

Fox shocks, like the above 2 are rebuildable, can be custom valved etc.....but the compressed length of them is roughly an inch more vs. the other options above. You will need custom mounts/outboarding to use them effectively/properly.

B. Springs.........personally I think this should be based on needs/vehicle weight etc. I have no idea what the rates of the MC springs are. I know they are long, but I also know that coilbind length on them is longer than most too(which means potential need to bumpstop due to springs bind length). Currie springs, BDS, OME I think should also be considered as well.

With my LJ A 140-160lb spring up front is the optimal range, with a 150-170lb spring out back due to the standing weight and how its used and loaded up.

So you would need to figure out whats optimal for you and your needs.

C. Control arms. Metal cloaks........just for the joints.......the arms themselves are also bullitproof. I personally feel they are hands down better than a JJ CA, in every manner. Nope they are not double adjustable, but IMO its a non-issue.

D. Swaybars.......MC only has swaybar extensions/disconnects......CUrrie has the Antirock..........IMO neither is optimal(unless this is an offroad ONLY vehicle in which Id say go with the Antirock hands down)...........if you want optimal for on and offroad....look at the ORO Swayloc..........think Antirock with an ON ROAD setting.

E. Trackbars: Id take the Currie TJS trackbars. Hands down better than MC's offering. The CUrrie TB's offer the most clearance, and use JJ's. The MC trackbars use a generic bushing....no clue why they don't use their duroflex joints......... I think MetalCloaks trackbars are half @ss designs. They require significant bumpstopping to work(2").

F. Bumpstops........the MC's can be adjusted from 1"-4"............The Currie bumpstops I think are 2" non adjustable. WIth the MC's you can take a couple of the pucks and cut them into .25" and .5" lengths and allow for fine tuning of your bumpstops in quarter, half or 3 quarter inch lengths.

But if you get the entire MC suspension package, the "bumpstopping might not be a big deal. With the length of their coils(and at coil bind)combined with the compressed length of their shocks and their trackbar. 2" of bumpstopping is probably designed in anyway. That would give the MC system roughly 5-5.5" of uptravel and 6.5-7" of legit downtravel.

As a complete system the MC kit has the absolute most travel at 12"............the Currie kits do not even come close. But I'd still bypass MC's trackbars and the front swaybar disconnects. For Currie bars, and an ORO Swayloc or Currie Antirock front bar.

But you can fine tune/ mix and match parts without question.....maybe you need a lower COG setup........or maybe you want a rig with maximum uptravel.......or maybe you need a longer spring, with less uptravel and more downtravel..........etc etc........so mix n match should not be out of the question to at least some degree.
GMBNT42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.