Has anyone ever had "custom" roll bar pads made? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has anyone ever had "custom" roll bar pads made?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-29-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

Has anyone ever had "custom" roll bar pad covers made?

I have an 04 TJ Rubicon. The install of my RockHard cage should be done tomorrow. I have the front section, the rear angle bars and the rear spreader bar. I bought the pads for the RH cage, but that leaves me with no padding anywhere else. The factory pads have to go because of how the cage mounts and they only sell the pads to cover "their" bars. Does that make sense?

I was thinking of going to a boat cover place and seeing if they could make something to cover the factory bars.

Anyone else have any ideas?

This Jeep is not a daily driver, but I do drive it most weekends with my 7 and 9 year olds in the back seat.

Last edited by GotLime; 06-30-2009 at 09:58 AM..
GotLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

When I padded the cage in my car, I used pads from SummitRacing.com. I'm guessing you want something quite a bit more finished in appearance?

http://summitracing.com/search/?keyw...0padding&dds=1
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
ridendirty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.fullsizexjgear.com/more/sportcages.htm

Check out the bottom of the ad.
ridendirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

That's a good place to start. I guess I should have asked if anyone has had custom covers made.

I know nothing about the padding itself. Which one is best? I assume SFI rating is good. Is thicker padding better?
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:24 PM   #5
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y'eep View Post
That's a good place to start. I guess I should have asked if anyone has had custom covers made.

I know nothing about the padding itself. Which one is best? I assume SFI rating is good. Is thicker padding better?
depends on how hard and how often you hit your head on it.......
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:26 PM   #6
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridendirty View Post

Thanks. That looks good. Do you have to call for pricing?
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:31 PM   #7
ridendirty
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks. That looks good. Do you have to call for pricing?
I don't know anything about the company. I just saved the site for when I install my full cage. If you get some, let me know how you like them.
ridendirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

I used 1-3/4" ID X 5/8" thick pipe insulation and a bunch of electrical tape.

You can see some of it here:

As you can see, I've got the RH cage too, and I also have the diagonals and rear spreader like you have.

That stuff with the velcro looks nicer, but it also looks expensive. I figure if I get up against a tree or something with mine, I can replace the whole length for a couple of bucks.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #9
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

How do you like the cage? Any drawbacks? Any issues? Anything you would change if you did it again?
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:38 PM   #10
KnightFire
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

Here is some light reading regarding SFI:
http://www.sfifoundation.com/

I wouldn't buy roll bar padding unless it was SFI 45.1 approved, as it's demanded by the NHRA, but you won't have to stand up to techs/inspections for your Jeep . All things considered, I'd still only purchase SFI 45.1 approved padding, no matter what the vehicle is. That is JMHO though.

The thickness of the pad is completely up to you, what you need, what space you can actually use, and what you feel looks right.
2006 Toyota 4Runner Sport Titanium Metallic 4.7L 4x4
KnightFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:45 PM   #11
JBWood05TJ
Cut to Fit-Paint to Match

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
How do you like the cage? Any drawbacks? Any issues? Anything you would change if you did it again?
I like it just fine. I started with the basic kit about a year and a half ago and added the diagonals, the rear bar, and frame mount over time. Oh, and the front and rear harness bars. Hopefully, it'll never be used for it's intended purpose. But if that day ever comes, I'm confident that the cage will protect the family and me.
JBWood05TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:48 PM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

I used cheapo Kirkey padding from ebay for some of cage. I also cut up the stock padding & covers, but I regret that because they look like crap and the zippers don't stay put.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:50 PM   #13
GotLime
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
I used cheapo Kirkey padding from ebay for some of cage. I also cut up the stock padding & covers, but I regret that because they look like crap and the zippers don't stay put.

I thought about modifying the stock pads/covers, but the zippers are the problem.

Who knew you needed to be a seamstress to own a Jeep? :lol:
Unread 06-29-2009, 08:54 PM   #14
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I thought about modifying the stock pads/covers, but the zippers are the problem.

it took me like an hour to re-thread the zippers together after cutting the B and C-pillar padding apart. it seemed like a reasonable idea at the time, but i definitely regreted it after the 1st zipper.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2009, 09:10 PM   #15
Alexia
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:

New zipper pulls can be bought at a place similar to JoAnn. Before cutting through the zipper put new metal zipper end clamps in place on each side of where the cut will be. Once it is cut all that needs to be done is putting the new zipper pulls on.

I have been considering making green padding to match the exterior color. Making your own padding should be very easy considering it is a flat section of fabric folded and zipped together.

Disclaimer: I am a seamstress and own a Jeep. :P

Build Project Thread
Rocker Guard Comparison Chart - Final Differential Gear Ratios - Oxygen Sensor FAQ
Alexia is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.