has anyone attempted installing their ring and pinion? or know of a write up about it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > has anyone attempted installing their ring and pinion? or know of a write up about it

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right here

Unread 11-30-2007, 12:08 PM   #1
ILLgreenjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

has anyone attempted installing their ring and pinion? or know of a write up about it

im lookin for a step by step write up install of the ring and pinion in the differentials? i know its hard to do and everyone says to pay a mechanic to do it, but i just want to see what is all involved in it. Im just interested

4inch supsension 1.25BL 1MML, 4.88s, 35 MT MTZ, LOD front bumer rear tire carrier, AtoZrockerguards, SYE+CVdriveshaft, I-6, Durango steering box, IPF headlamps-fatboy bulbs, and in the spring custom long arm suspension (copying claytons arms and modifying brackets)
ILLgreenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Here ya go from Randy's Ring & Pinion website... http://www.ringpinion.com/Content/Ho...lation_Kit.pdf

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:15 PM   #3
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavista/Gear_Setup/
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #4
wazilian
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i would love to someday try and do this to my tj myself. by someday i mean in about 2 years when my tj is paid off and i get a new one (jk probably) so this one can become a project. i understand that a lot of folks on here would have you take it to a mechanic and because they have the tools specific to this type of job, but learn by doing i guess. plus in 2 years maybe i'll have a garage i can keep it in and take my time doing it.

again, i understand that this is a complicated procedure, but hell its my jeep and would love to give a go.

Travis
Black Hard Top...when its on
Garfield Air Freshener
And there's a frame under there too...I've seen it
wazilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #5
MillerTimeTJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

it isnt really a complicated procedure, its just a precise one.
Something can be off by a fraction of an inch and be a big problem

If you are willing to experiment and risk messing something up, go ahead. Ive been contemplating it myself, but am not sure the risk outweighs the money saving. however, as many places charge upwards of 500 an axle, it may be worth a shot to do at home
MillerTimeTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 12:45 PM   #6
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

a buddy of mine just did it and another buddy of mine has done it - they said it's not too difficult, but it takes time and patience plus you need the proper tools - I'm going to do it myself if I ever decide to change my gears again
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
ILLgreenjeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for all the help guys, exactly what i wanted
4inch supsension 1.25BL 1MML, 4.88s, 35 MT MTZ, LOD front bumer rear tire carrier, AtoZrockerguards, SYE+CVdriveshaft, I-6, Durango steering box, IPF headlamps-fatboy bulbs, and in the spring custom long arm suspension (copying claytons arms and modifying brackets)
ILLgreenjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 01:47 PM   #8
ptowntj
2001 XJ Cherokee 

That pirate4x4 one is well written...it was a bit over my head though.

I successfully regeared an 8.8, but I read that the dana 30 requires a preload deal, and just paid a professional to do it...I really would like to learn how to do it.
Unread 11-30-2007, 04:52 PM   #9
97tjtom
1999 TJ Wrangler 

the pirate writeup is the best i found. i just got my gears in to do the front.

i originally wanted to do it myself and had read everything i could find but i talked to a few family members in the industry and they really went into depth about it with examples and horror stories of what theyve done/seen. its way too precise for me. they also said i might have to keep pressing the bearings in, test fitting, and pressing them out to reshim. that scared me since i dont have a press so i decided im gonna find a shop to do it. still shopping for the right guy tho. gotta make sure they know what theyre doing with gears.
Unread 11-30-2007, 08:08 PM   #10
yellj

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy38

i originally wanted to do it myself and had read everything i could find but i talked to a few family members in the industry and they really went into depth about it with examples and horror stories of what theyve done/seen. its way too precise for me. they also said i might have to keep pressing the bearings in, test fitting, and pressing them out to reshim. that scared me since i dont have a press so i decided im gonna find a shop to do it. still shopping for the right guy tho. gotta make sure they know what theyre doing with gears.
That's what set up bearings are for,old bearings that have been honed out a bit to slip on and off. Started out by helpinbg, then doing a bit, then on my third axle did it all, but had the benefit of very knowledgeable guy watching over my shoulder, still wouldn't tackle solo, but getting close.
04 Unlimited RE SF 4.5", 1" MORE BL and MML, ARB Bull Bar, AR23 15x8, 35x12.5 MTRs, Jeep Medic Engine and T/F Skid, Shrockworks Rockers, Warn 9.5ti, AA SYE, ARBs, 4.88s and Alloy USA Shafts, HPD30 w JJs 1967 M416

www.midatlanticjeepers.com
yellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:10 PM   #11
35sUnlimited
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I got this DVD:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Rebui...6177QQtcZphoto

It is very informative. It helped me a lot just to see a video in addition to the write-ups. If I get the money together I'm gonna give it a shot between Christmas and New years.
35sUnlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2007, 09:23 PM   #12
bigV
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerboy38

I've heard a little trick - hog out your old bearings and use them until you get your shims set, then when everything is good you press-on your new bearings
Unread 11-30-2007, 10:29 PM   #13
Michael_K

Dana44- set up bearings help.
Dana35- you don't need set up bearings unless you like wasting money.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.