Has anyone actually broken a D30 or D35? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Has anyone actually broken a D30 or D35?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 05-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
josh_br
2003 WJ 

Has anyone actually broken a D30 or D35?

There is a lot of talk on the offroading community (and on xtreme 4x4!) about the stock Wrangler axles not being very strong if you go with bigger tires, or lower gears, or lockers, or a combination of these things. I don't disagree, but I just wondered if anyone has actually ever broken one of the stock axles because it couldn't take the abuse. If so, what modifications and conditions was it under when it broke? Thanks, JB

2003 WJ (Laredo), 1990 Toyota pickup
Used to have a couple TJ's and ZJ's
josh_br is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #2
Chuck3
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Just YouTube "jeep axle break" every other entry is a D35 or D30
Chuck3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:04 AM   #3
YJteen
1995 YJ Wrangler 

D30 doesnt usaually break until you get big meats. I have heard several stories of D35 breakin on the highway. No stories myself though, so here's a bump.
You should be fine with the axle setup, just as long as you don't beat on it as hard as you would looking at a Playboy magazine, the d30 and d35 should hold up.
YJteen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:06 AM   #4
SLADE
2004 TJ Wrangler 

yes.
SLADE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:13 AM   #5
Ej132
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Bump. Maybe we could here what some of the cheaper upgrades are for the 35
Ej132 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have broke both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:34 AM   #7
Pillswoj
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Most common weak points are the axle shafts and the stock carrier spider gears.

Upgrades -

1. Alloy 27 spline shafts
2. Detroit Tru track limit slip carrier

3. 27 Spline Superior C Clip eliminator
4. Super 35 Kit (30 spline alloy shafts and full case locker)
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM   #8
rideraa
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I saw a D35 shaft break on an impliment tire obsticle, was on 31-32s. (he had a lunch box locker)
I have broke a rubi d-44 rear posi/locker-35s, not sure where it actually broke though. Replaced with a front rubi locker.
I have broke 2 front stock shafts(35s) - rubi d-44, outer"U" joints, now have RCV's
Unread 05-20-2011, 07:54 AM   #9
twigman
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The D30 in my TJ had a couple failures. I broke the spider gears in half crawling on a rock I have in my back yard. I was using the brakes to balance the torque load to the tire with less traction.

That lead me to install an EZ locker. I then stripped the ring an pinion moving a separator package. It was an 8'x20' skidded building with a 16" vessel and 100bbl tank. I had the chain looped up over the tow hooks on the front, and under the role ends on the skid.

The back end of the Jeep came off of the ground about 6" before the loud bang and grinding sound. Not really a situation one would normally be in.

The D30 seems strong enough, the ring an pinion failed while being asked to do way more than what is reasonable. Both failures were such that I was still able to drive, after removing the broken bits and replacing the oil of course.

I don't have any breakage stories on the D35, other than a failed wheel bearing allowing the rear axle to come apart on the hi-way. This is an issue with the non C-clip axles. Not the axles fault, that was a maintenance issue.
twigman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 08:17 AM   #10
03rubiconMG
2003 TJ Wrangler 

i broke a D35 taking a hard left into a driveway on my brothers jeep with 33s on it.

I turned left heard a snap, continued forward a few more feet and then starting rolling backwards.

If you put a cheap mod to beef up a 35 you will soon realize that you have wasted your money. the only practical mod to a D35 is the super 35 kit in my opinion. you will be able to run 35s with that.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3374/...376a0a33_o.jpg
03rubiconMG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #11
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Heck there's a site dedicated to the D35:
http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/
Jim
Unread 05-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #12
AntiPrius
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I can show pictures of a local guy that mangled a D60.

In other words, if it's been on a Jeep, someone has broken it...no matter what it is.

With that said, I've had my Jeep for almost 3 years and have never broken anything on either my D30 or D35, but I'm well aware of what axle I have and drive it accordingly, aka, no full throttle assaults up rocky steep hills, I never bounce it trying to get up hills, and I try to avoid rapid weight transfer to the rear wheels if I can't make it up a steep climb.

Contrary to reports on the internet, the D35 will not break just driving it on the street. If it does break on the street, it was already damaged at some other time and just let go on the street.
AntiPrius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
StvDiego

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiPrius View Post
Contrary to reports on the internet, the D35 will not break just driving it on the street. If it does break on the street, it was already damaged at some other time and just let go on the street.
I broke a D35 shaft backing into a parking space in downtown. It would be easy to say I broke it on the street, but, it's apparent from the condition of the shaft that it had been damaged previously. That's it below

I've seen quite a few D30's twist the ears on the yokes, and twisted mine last year, strip teeth off the ring gear and break spiders. Actual broken shafts are not as common but does happen especially with 35" or larger tires.

But then, I've seen a 609 and D60 break, a lot depends on the driver..

StvDiego is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 11:47 AM   #14
josh_br
2003 WJ 

Thanks guys. Some of these are funny! I love the stories about stuff breaking while NOT offroading! Thanks for the info and entertainment.

For what it's worth, I've had two '97 Wranglers, both basically stock with 31" mud tires. I've been offroading / trail riding numerous times and never broke any axle parts ever, so I just kind of wondered.

2003 WJ (Laredo), 1990 Toyota pickup
Used to have a couple TJ's and ZJ's
josh_br is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #15
armyRN
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my two-cents worth:

I was Jeeping with a group once, and a TJ with 35" tires broke the axle tube on a Dana 30 on the passenger side near the control arms. The tube cracked, and you could see the axle shaft inside. I don't know the gear ratio or if any lockers were used, but I'm thinking he had alloy axles installed. Someone had an onboard welder, so after a while they were able to get it welded up enough to get him off the trail. Everyone was telling him "Now's a good time to get a high-pinion Dana 30 front axle since you're going to have to replace it anyway".

It made me think that if I ever went to 35" tires (I'm on 33" now) I'd get some axle sleeves pressed in and welded into the axle tubes on my Dana 30. It would be cheap insurance. Seems like there's a couple of places that sell these sleeves.

So that reminds me (help I'm talking and I can't shut up) when I "did my Jeep" I changed out the Dana 35 for a Dana 44 with 33 spline alloy axles, Detroit locker, etc. specifically because of the bad press the Dana 35 has. I re-used the Dana 35 rear brakes, mailed the carrier and 4.10 gears R&P to a buddy of mine, saved the original axle shafts, and got rid of the Dana 35 housing. I've still got the factory Dana 35 axle shafts sitting in my garage, and I'm tired of looking at them. I'm assuming they're fine - when I bought my Jeep it had the factory suspension, 235 tires, and a four cylinder. What are they worth, and does anybody want them?
armyRN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
axles , dana 30 , dana 35 , jeep wrangler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.