Hardtop Wiring Kit Question: Washer Function - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-30-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hardtop Wiring Kit Question: Washer Function

Well, after waiting almost 2 months since I ordered it when everyone was out of stock and after a long back order with no known expected date for them to be back in stock wouldn't you just know that the day after I take off my Hardtop for the summer, FedEx shows up out of the blue with the hardtop wiring kit this morning.

So I went ahead and installed the kit anyway. What the heck, it's actually a LOT easier to do with the hardtop off the Jeep since it lets you reach everything more easily and have more space to work.

Got it all installed, though of course without the hardtop on it's kind of hard to test it but I can tell some things work, and one thing I have a question about.

The illumination lights in the two new switches work when I turn on the park lights.

The orange light on the rear window defroster switch comes on with the first press of the button, and off with a second press (on/off) assume.

However, when I went to check the wiper/washer switch the washer didn't work. The wiper of course can't work since the top isn't on there is no wiper to work, but I did expect the pump on the bottle to pump fluid out the hose when I pressed the WASH part of the switch. But nothing.

So my question is (and hope I have explained this clearly enough, I've tried to be detailed in what I know so far);

When your Hardtop is off, and you go to test it by pressing the WASH switch with the hose at the back laying over the side so it'd squirt out onto the ground, does the washer work? Or is there some part of the circuit that prevents the wash pump from running without the top on, like a loop thru the wiper motor or something?

If it's designed that way then I may have to wait until fall to test it, but if people know that it normally will squirt even with the top off then I may have an error somewhere that I need to check for. Though I have already re-ran everything once and can't find any issues.

~

~ SouthernGypsy's Jeeps ~
2004 Jeep TJ Rubicon 4.0L/Automatic
1983 Jeep CJ-7 Limited 4.2L/5 Speed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-30-2016, 08:55 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

It is set up to not allow the pump to pump unless the connector at the back is plugged in. You don’t want the back getting washer fluid sprayed all over if you happen to hit the switch when the HT is off & you did not put the plug in the hose (or it popped off).

I think there are 2 brown/pink wires in the harness going to the back that loop on the HT side of the harness which is the power supply to both the wiper & pump motors. If so, you should be able to jump across those 2 wires to power the pump to test it.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-30-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi4MyMrs View Post
It is set up to not allow the pump to pump unless the connector at the back is plugged in. You donít want the back getting washer fluid sprayed all over if you happen to hit the switch when the HT is off & you did not put the plug in the hose (or it popped off).

I think there are 2 brown/pink wires in the harness going to the back that loop on the HT side of the harness which is the power supply to both the wiper & pump motors. If so, you should be able to jump across those 2 wires to power the pump to test it.

Awesome Will try that to test it tomorrow. It made sense they'd have a safety setup like that in place but wanted to be sure. It's nice to be able to test something you just installed without waiting until late fall

~

post #4 of 15 Old 04-30-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

OK, Have a second question. Hopefully a simple one.

My Rubicon is a 2004, which has the smaller tub-to-top connector, and no dome light function. However, my top is a 2002 model from a Sahara that has the larger connector and does have a dome light. I plan on finding a mating connector and simply change out the ends on the tub side rather than buying an expensive adapter. I have a tool set made specifically for the purpose of releasing the little catches on the metal tips inside of connectors so I plan on just releasing them all from the original tub-side connector and slipping them into the correct slots in a new connector to match up with the top. I already even bough a connector, or tired to, though turns out they sent me the wrong side and I didn't realize it until today.

While I am at it, I would like to make the dome light work. A wiring diagram that I have of a 2002 top shows the wires missing from my 2004 tub-side harness are a Pink with White Stripe 12v power lead, and a Yellow signal wire from the light switch. I checked the wires feeding the dome lights built into my sport-bar speaker assembly and there IS a Pink/White wire that seems to have constant 12v, and there is also a Yellow wire that when I put a test light on it (with the other end clipped to ground) it makes the test light come on but also strangely makes the LED bulbs in my sport bar lights come on, though not at full brightness.

So, after that explanation of the setup, the question is; Can I simply tap into the Pink/White wire and Yellow wire that runs up the side of my sport bar and run wires back to add into the new tub-side connector while I'm installing it to make the dome light already built into the 2002 hardtop start working?

~

post #5 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
It is set up to not allow the pump to pump unless the connector at the back is plugged in. You don’t want the back getting washer fluid sprayed all over if you happen to hit the switch when the HT is off & you did not put the plug in the hose (or it popped off).

Tried that today and the washer works ~ ~ so for now will assume the wiper probably will as well once the top is back on next fall.

Now if I can just figure out the dome light wiring. Which I think what I posted about the dome light wiring last night looks like it may be the answer but it'd be nice to have someone confirm it. I tried web searches but no luck.

~

post #6 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 10:34 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes, it looks like you have the dome light figured out correctly.
post #7 of 15 Old 05-01-2016, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yes, it looks like you have the dome light figured out correctly.

Awesome, thanks.

The LED dome lights in my sport bar assembly coming on (though not at full brightness) when I touched a test light probe to the yellow wire (other end connected to ground) kinda threw me for a loop.

Which also lit up the test light and made it's buzzer sound, though I'm not sure that was at full brightness or volume either.

~

post #8 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 06:09 AM
NotURMailman
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernGypsy View Post
OK, Have a second question. Hopefully a simple one.

My Rubicon is a 2004, which has the smaller tub-to-top connector, and no dome light function. However, my top is a 2002 model from a Sahara that has the larger connector and does have a dome light. I plan on finding a mating connector and simply change out the ends on the tub side rather than buying an expensive adapter. I have a tool set made specifically for the purpose of releasing the little catches on the metal tips inside of connectors so I plan on just releasing them all from the original tub-side connector and slipping them into the correct slots in a new connector to match up with the top. I already even bough a connector, or tired to, though turns out they sent me the wrong side and I didn't realize it until today.

While I am at it, I would like to make the dome light work. A wiring diagram that I have of a 2002 top shows the wires missing from my 2004 tub-side harness are a Pink with White Stripe 12v power lead, and a Yellow signal wire from the light switch. I checked the wires feeding the dome lights built into my sport-bar speaker assembly and there IS a Pink/White wire that seems to have constant 12v, and there is also a Yellow wire that when I put a test light on it (with the other end clipped to ground) it makes the test light come on but also strangely makes the LED bulbs in my sport bar lights come on, though not at full brightness.

So, after that explanation of the setup, the question is; Can I simply tap into the Pink/White wire and Yellow wire that runs up the side of my sport bar and run wires back to add into the new tub-side connector while I'm installing it to make the dome light already built into the 2002 hardtop start working?

~
The pink/white wire (as you found) is constant 12v+.
The yellow wire supplies ground to that circuit to turn on the dome and courtesy lights.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
equipped... And loving it!

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
It's difficult to take you seriously. It's like you're an easily perturbed autistic teenager who's drunk typing the whole time.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 12:57 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

You are actually grounding that yellow wire through the test light bulb. The bulb adds resistance to the ground path which is why they are dim.
post #10 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome guys, I figured that was what was going on but wanted to be sure. Sometimes the way things behave on these models where they switch the ground instead of the 12v supply to turn things on and off still throws me a little. And I also wanted to make sure that me having LED bulbs in my sound bar lights wasn't screwing with my test light somehow. I raided the wiring harness from a Cherokee we gutted awhile back and got me a pair of wires in the correct colors (yellow and pink with white stripe) and length to match up with the factory harness.

What I'm needing now is to figure out where I can order the female side of the connector (the tub side) that will plug into the 2002 top. I ordered one and they sent me the male side but had the correct type of pins, so called them and they sent me another and this time sent the correct female side, and it plugs in when it has no pins in it, but I noticed the slots inside of it are made for round pins, not flat and it has an extra tab that would keep it from working. I called them again and they said that's all they have. Grrr!

Does anyone know where I can order the correct connector, and a group of new new pins that I can put on the ends of my wires?
I discovered that the female pins on my tub side are very small, the tabs on my top side are wider, so I'm going to need to change the ends as well.

The closest salvage yard is a long drive so would prefer to just order new if I knew where to get the correct ones.

~

post #11 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

This is the plug on my top side that I need the correct plug and pins to install on the tub side to be able to plug into it...

~
Attached Thumbnails
Hardtop Plug 97-02.jpg  

post #12 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 06:23 PM
mattdoc
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I found a bunch of the mating connectors in a junk yard in the jeep/dodge section. Neon and stratus mostly, I think - it was over a year ago. The engine bay is the easiest place to find them. Make sure you get one with a black housing - the color codes match the keys, so gray ones won't fit. It's real easy to swap the tub side connector over with needle nose pliers and a flathead screwdriver.

2004 Rubicon
post #13 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 07:16 PM
retiredff
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Hope to do this to my TJ

Southern Gypsy, thanks for posting. I hope to install the harness on my 05 TJ someday. I would like to talk with you time about where you purchased your harness and about the install. Ed H.
post #14 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I think I just found an easy place to grab a single kit that gives you BOTH the female AND male ends that fit a 97-02 model.
So you could use the female end on the tub side if you wanted to put a 97-02 top on a 03-06 tub, or use the male end on the top side if you wanted to put an 03-06 top on a 97-02 tub

It's the same darn connector that Ram's use between the harness tow-package connector and the 7 way RV plug!

Tow-Ready part # 118381

http://www.amazon.com/Tow-Ready-1183...Trailer+118381

That's Amazon for $16 but you can use that same part number and find it at other online stores, AutoZone, U-Haul, and I presume other local stores. Some are even cheaper at only $11 though for the small difference I'd rather get it from a known place like Amazon, eBay, or locally.

~

post #15 of 15 Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
SouthernGypsy
De Oppresso Liber

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm picking one up in the morning so can verify the fit then but talked to a friend at the local parts store and we exchanged text photos and it looks right.

~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.