Hardtop rear window seal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop rear window seal

Thanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfECGS Black Friday Sale!!Gear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 10-17-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
captain_andrew

Hardtop rear window seal

Have had problems with my hardtop leaking in heavy rain around the corners of the rear glass seal. The piece of napkin i stuffed in there is to show where the hole is i know its hard to see. I'm wondering if i am actually missing a piece on the end of the seal or something maybe someone can compare it to their hardtop seal and tell me if it looks different

captain_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-17-2009, 06:31 PM   #2
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

I was changing my hinges on mine today and noticed the same thing.

6 years and I never noticed.. so your not alone. Only thing I can think of is maybe some foam tape or something to 'stuff' in there like you've done with the TP.

Good Luck !!
prd_cdn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
BlueFlame
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I took some pics of mine.
See pic: PA181446comp.JPG - File Shared from Box.net - Free Online File Storage

The two rubber bits should rub each other and seal at points marked A and B. See how mine obviously touches (because it is clean where they touch.)
Best way to fill that gap would be a small piece of self-stick weatherstrip stuck on where I marked A or B. (Obviosuly clean the surface well first.)

BUT - I bet that's not where it leaks. The top molding makes a little ledge where I marked C. The water puddles on this ledge, then runs behind the weatherstrip that goes around the perimeter of the window opening. I had leaks there on both sides. A little silicone (RTV) applied right at the bottom of that ledge against the edge of the seal (where I marked C) will stop the water from getting through the little gap and force it run out the back like it's supposed to.
BlueFlame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2009, 04:31 PM   #4
captain_andrew

That could very well be it it only seems to leak when parked with the front of the vehicle facing downhill. I'll go try that right away
captain_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.