Hardtop insulation ideas for Canadian winters? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 35 Old 10-04-2009, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
VanBCguy
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedEazel View Post
Heat does rise, but the difference in interior temperature between the roof and floor is probably very small. Heat is going to be transferred wherever there is a difference in temperature, so the floor is a large area of concern. The Herculiner may help insulate the floor better, so if you can do it now, it might make winter a bit more bearable.

I've sat in an F350 for twelve hours when it was in the single digits many times, and the heater was putting out the whole time just to keep it bearable. I can only imagine what a Jeep cab would feel like during that same time. Good luck out there this winter.
Temperature difference between the floor and roof being very small. Heat transferred wherever there is a difference in temperature. Hmmmm...very valid points. And a 12 hour shift is the shortest I'd be in the Jeep in those sub-zero conditions.

I may not always get the answers I want from these JF threads and posts, but DAMN I love JF as a research tool and expert/already did that advice and opinions!

My lifetime membership will be paid in one month. Mark my words on that!

Thanks all...I appreciate the help. Whatever I do to it to help the heat loss, I'll post my findings and results back here to let you all know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by VanBCguy; 10-09-2009 at 02:54 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 35 Old 10-04-2009, 09:06 PM
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quadratec shows that Rugged Ridge makes a hard top insulation liner for JK hardtops. Couldn't find one for TJ hardtops but maybe you could modify it or call Rugged Ridge to see if they have one for TJs...

35" MTR Kevlars
TNT Phantom Fenders/PSC Comp Cut corners
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
103" Wheelbase
post #18 of 35 Old 10-05-2009, 12:44 AM
111markambrose
Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanBCguy View Post
I've read through a few threads here on the forum and done a fair bit of research on the web for a product that can either be purchased as an "install in one piece" or ideas for a DIY project. I come up with many threads related to hardtop insulation for hot climates such as down south in the States, but barely anything relating to keeping the heat IN the Jeep with the hardtop on for Jeeps in cold climates.

I use my vehicle for work and am in it for great amounts of time without the engine running. I'd like to be able to run the engine, warm up the cab and then turn the engine off and retain the built up heat for longer than what the thin fiberglass hardtop allows. Our Canadian winters get cold, eh?

Does anyone have any ideas? Have you done such a thing before? Pictures would be awesome if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.
If insulation is what your looking for I believe I have the solution, HotHead Headliners. I made these to solve the hardtop heat problem, but I'm sure they will work great to help hold heat inside your Jeep also. I just sold a set to a guy in Ontario to keep the cold out. You can get more information about these headliners at: HotHead Headliners
Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Mark

post #19 of 35 Old 10-05-2009, 06:00 AM
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm sorry but I can't help when I see all this advice coming from south of the Mason Dixon

Heat definately stratosphies in a vehicle cab. You'll find most vehicles heaters directed to the floor vents to counteract the cold floor.

Usually my roof has a few inches of snow/ice on it (even after brushing it). That direct contact really makes for a cold cab.
post #20 of 35 Old 10-05-2009, 06:17 AM
Deezelweazel
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I have Webasto heaters installed, because it is dangerous to run a propane heater inside the cab.
The power output of the Webasto is 17200BTU or 5200KW. Thats a lot! You need the second battery to make sure the engine will start again. But I will never go without the cab heater again. Takes a liter of gas an hour to burn, but thats nothing compared to the comfort you get.
Well, at least there is a downside: The cost of the unit itself and the battery insulator and the second battery.
I have two cars and both of them have that heater installed. first is running now since 8years and second since two years- without any fault. A mod definetly worth the money!

Go hard, go Diesel! - Turbocooled and Intercharged...
post #21 of 35 Old 10-05-2009, 10:07 AM
Mud Machine
Jeep Addict

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here is another link if you have money to spend. Someone else posted it. I don't know anything about them.....

HotHead Headliners

BDS Springs, MetalCloak Arms, Fox Shocks, Warn Winch, Savvy Ft Bumper, Antirock, GenRight Fenders, GR8 Top, 35" Pittbulls, 5.13's, Revolution Axle Shafts, LS-III, 4L80e

'76 CJ-7, 33" Swampers, 6-Point Cage, 4-Speed, Dana 300 Twin Stick
post #22 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 02:56 AM Thread Starter
VanBCguy
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 111markambrose View Post
If insulation is what your looking for I believe I have the solution, HotHead Headliners. I made these to solve the hardtop heat problem, but I'm sure they will work great to help hold heat inside your Jeep also. I just sold a set to a guy in Ontario to keep the cold out. You can get more information about these headliners at: HotHead Headliners
Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
Mark
Cost for a TJ Sport?

post #23 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 07:07 AM
Happypappy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

A cheap alternative to the headliners would be to install a simple "Windjammer" during the colder months. This will seperate the heated front seat area from the rest of the interior.

C. Lynn
Applications Engineer
Computerized Marine Diesel, IPS Systems
'06 Rubicon Unlimited
post #24 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 07:12 AM
GroundAssault

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Insulpad Floor or Firewall Insulation

2006 Jeep Wrangler---SOLD!

Nowhere at present is there such a measureless loathing of their country by educated people as in America. --Eric Hoffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmb2485
cheap mods are like a drug dealer giving you your first few for free...they will only get you addicted and before you know it every paycheck goes into your new habit :rofl:
post #25 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 07:26 AM
masterwacker
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I am in the process of insulating my jeep TJ right now. I am using Raamat BXT and Ensolite. I have a bunch of pictures, and I will post them up when I am done. I just finished the hardtop and am now working on doing the tub.
post #26 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
incredibull
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just insulated mine with marine carpeting. As good as thermal insulation? Probably not. Better than nothing? Of course. It cost about $20. No matter what you do, you still lose a great amount of heat through the glass.

post #27 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
VanBCguy
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happypappy View Post
A cheap alternative to the headliners would be to install a simple "Windjammer" during the colder months. This will seperate the heated front seat area from the rest of the interior.
Kind of a good idea. Kind of. But I need access from the cab to materials I have in my box behind the seats. Not to belittle you, but also, I see you're from Florida. I don't think you understand the kinds of cold we get here in Canada. It isn't the kind of "frost the oranges" cold. It's freezing. FAR sub zero. -20F or even more sometimes? A simple piece of windjammer material wouldn't do anything.

Thanks for trying though.

post #28 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 10:33 AM
Mayfair_Jeeper

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by incredibull View Post
I just insulated mine with marine carpeting. As good as thermal insulation? Probably not. Better than nothing? Of course. It cost about $20. No matter what you do, you still lose a great amount of heat through the glass.

I am going to do this as well., but I am going to put dynomat under it to keep the road noise down to a minimum

2006 Jeep TJ X Modded with toys
2008 Jeep Liberty Sport Stock
1987 Cherokee 4.0 Renix...Build in Process
post #29 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 PM
prd_cdn
Web Wheeler

my idea (as I am in the same boat as you ~ though Alberta is colder than BC..lol)... my plan has been to put some reflective material (havent decided yet as I am still shopping) and tie a ranger blanket to my roll bars.

not the best, I am planning to do this weekend and will post some pics up when I am done..

Good Luck
post #30 of 35 Old 10-09-2009, 08:41 PM
xkuzme1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a heater budddy jr. I guarentee that this thing will keep you warm. It will heat up to 200 sq feet. They are safe to use indoors because they have a low o2 sensor with auto shutoff. 100 bucks.

Google the heater buddy line of heaters, probably more specificlly the heater buddy jr.

JEEP - The original "search engine".

Ask me why you should not buy anything from 4 Wheel Online

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.