Hardtop insulation ideas for Canadian winters? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop insulation ideas for Canadian winters?

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-04-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Hardtop insulation ideas for Canadian winters?

I've read through a few threads here on the forum and done a fair bit of research on the web for a product that can either be purchased as an "install in one piece" or ideas for a DIY project. I come up with many threads related to hardtop insulation for hot climates such as down south in the States, but barely anything relating to keeping the heat IN the Jeep with the hardtop on for Jeeps in cold climates.

I use my vehicle for work and am in it for great amounts of time without the engine running. I'd like to be able to run the engine, warm up the cab and then turn the engine off and retain the built up heat for longer than what the thin fiberglass hardtop allows. Our Canadian winters get cold, eh?

Does anyone have any ideas? Have you done such a thing before? Pictures would be awesome if anyone has them.

Thanks in advance guys and gals.

VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
fatcop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Ever considered the spray foam insulation? Not the Great Stuff in a can, but some actual professional 2 part expanding foam they use in retrofitting houses with insulation? I'd bet you could spray an inch or 3 of that on your top and shape it to whatever contour you wanted and glue a headliner to it if you wanted.

I've never used it in that sort of application, but have seen it being sprayed in the stud bays of houses and a quick pass of it will net you several inches of foam. It is pretty sticky too.

Something to consider.
fatcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcop View Post
Ever considered the spray foam insulation? Not the Great Stuff in a can, but some actual professional 2 part expanding foam they use in retrofitting houses with insulation? I'd bet you could spray an inch or 3 of that on your top and shape it to whatever contour you wanted and glue a headliner to it if you wanted.

I've never used it in that sort of application, but have seen it being sprayed in the stud bays of houses and a quick pass of it will net you several inches of foam. It is pretty sticky too.

Something to consider.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I agree, something to possibly consider, except that the last time I saw that stuff being used, it was for a very open space where overspray of that ULTRA sticky stuff didn't matter (I still have it stuck on a shirt from 7 years ago!). For that reason alone, I'm more inclined to think of something that will enable me to cut to shape and glue it to the interior of the top. A reflective foil type maybe? I'm making a trip to the harware store now to see what they might know of.

Keep the ideas coming though...they're all helpful.
Unread 10-04-2009, 03:40 PM   #4
XXRider
2003 TJ Wrangler 

While I think it would help insulating the hard top I don't think it will fix the issue. The tub would need to be done too as it never really gets warm with the heater on.
Unread 10-04-2009, 04:19 PM   #5
Junky burp
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXRider View Post
While I think it would help insulating the hard top I don't think it will fix the issue. The tub would need to be done too as it never really gets warm with the heater on.
I agree with this. Most of the cold is going to come from the floor area and sides. The glass in the hardtop is a pretty fine conductor, too.
How about a heated seat cover?
Junky burp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
FedEazel
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As mentioned before, you are probably going to have to take care of several things to really get the warmest possible cab. You should probably add insulation, and a heat source.

I would think you should insulate the hardtop like what you are talking about. Add a LOT of insulation under the carpet, because there really isn't any at all. If you are worried about it getting wet in the summer, keep it removable. This will also have the side benefit of making your Jeep pretty quiet on the road.

Then, to really make it better for sitting without the engine running, get a second battery and one of those electric heaters with the fan. That way, the temperature in your almost well insulated cab can be maintained without the engine running, for quite a while.

Been on the rails and Big Muddy.
I've crossed the trails rocky and rutted.
Been down the road a million miles,
But I still got a long way to go.
FedEazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 04:54 PM   #7
BrockGrimes

Took a piece of that foam board with the silver foil backing on both sides, cut it to the shape of the top.
The used velcro to stick it in place. It's replaceable, removeable, and cheap. The foil back will help retain heat.

You could also use a spray on liner like herculiner or duraliner.

Do the chevy heater motor mod?
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CJ Forum
BrockGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 06:43 PM   #8
sstaurus
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedEazel View Post
get a second battery and one of those electric heaters with the fan.
Pretty much the best it's going to get I think. That and/or heated seats.
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:16 PM   #9
DanZ51
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Insulshield Technology

Cab Insulation

I've seen that foam headliner from db engineering in tractor cabs. If I can get some one to go in "halfs" with me, I might buy a roll to do my (our) roofs.
DanZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:34 PM   #10
the_art_of_desi
1997 TJ Wrangler 

pricey but nice CALIFORNIA TOPS – Offroad Tops for Jeep Vehicles
2.5L : AX-5 : NP231, D30HP : D44 : 4:88 : Front Aussie
2.5" OME lift, OME LT shocks, 2" BL, Currie Control Arms, Currie HD Steering, Currie Trackbars, Warn M8000
Custom Front and Rear Bumpers, Custom Rock Sliders, OBA
33" x 12.5" x 15" Goodyear MTRs, Black Steelies
the_art_of_desi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #11
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_art_of_desi View Post
Do a search on many forums, this guy is bad news!...
Unread 10-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_art_of_desi View Post
if you want to throw money away and never see anything for it, buy stuff from him.

some people buy office entry mats from Wal-Mart or CostCo and 3M carpet tape it to the roof.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:19 PM   #13
MT_Ranger
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanZ51 View Post
That product looks pretty good. Send them an e-mail and then post your findings.

[SIZE="4"][B][COLOR="Red"]Red Jeep Club Member #552[/COLOR][/B][/SIZE][SIZE="4"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="4"][/SIZE]
MT_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:20 PM   #14
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Wow! Great ideas and advice guys...thanks much!

Maybe to clear up an issue regarding my tub & carpet, I should explain that I have no carpet in my heep except the front floor mats. I plan on Herculining the entire tub, front to back, but that's not til next spring.

My thinking on the interior insulation on the roof is the fact that most of heat loss is because heat rises and anything I can do to mitigate that would be beneficial. I do have a Coleman propane heater that's built to run safely inside the cab of a vehicle with very little natural air ventilation, so that will help things. A dual battery is planned, but the Coleman should look after the heating issue like an electric fan would.

I'm simply trying to minimize the loss of heat through the top of the roof because, as mentioned, heat rises. I realize that I'll still have to idle my engine or run the propane heater once in awhile, but I'd like to minimize that as much as possible (especially for the engine idling sake).

Thanks for all the input guys. Your help is appreciated. Keep the great ideas coming!
Unread 10-04-2009, 08:56 PM   #15
FedEazel
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Heat does rise, but the difference in interior temperature between the roof and floor is probably very small. Heat is going to be transferred wherever there is a difference in temperature, so the floor is a large area of concern. The Herculiner may help insulate the floor better, so if you can do it now, it might make winter a bit more bearable.

I've sat in an F350 for twelve hours when it was in the single digits many times, and the heater was putting out the whole time just to keep it bearable. I can only imagine what a Jeep cab would feel like during that same time. Good luck out there this winter.

Been on the rails and Big Muddy.
I've crossed the trails rocky and rutted.
Been down the road a million miles,
But I still got a long way to go.
FedEazel is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.