Hardtop Homemade Wiring Harness - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop Homemade Wiring Harness

JKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-16-2010, 09:45 PM   #31
anymanusa
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I'm probably going to simply just wire power to the defroster. The defroster works good to keep rain off the glass, especially if you rain x the glass. I don't need all that other stuff right now.

anymanusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 10:34 PM   #32
phillies4752
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Ive heard of guys making their own harnesses by using trailer plugs. All you would really have to do is find out what does what with an electrical tester. Do you need inline fuses or what?
phillies4752 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #33
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well i started installing this and i ran into some troubles..

So i had to add my own wiring from the defrogger switch/wiper to the actual harness which i did. Now reading the instructions i pulled out the red 10 way connector and it tells me to plug in the 4 wires.. So then i realize that im still left with Brown/Light green which apparently is the wiper park.

So now im completely lost as i dont know what to do with this..

I guess the switch wiring i did to the harness is wrong..??

Please help me out
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #34
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well i gave up with the wiring harness to hell with it after spending 2 days just trying to figure out whats going on wit the harness itself. Word of advice, dont buy the wiring harness out of a jeep that comes factory wired with a hardtop!! As the wires do not match up like the instructions say and it really complicates stuff.

So i went onto a simpler thing.

I ran the wiper to a relay and using the wiper switch (not done yet).

So this is what i have currently.

Relay
30 - 20amp fuse to positive terminal of batt
87A- wiper parked (BR/LG)
87 - wiper run wire (BR/PK)
85 - grounded (tied into the hardtop ground wire - which is tied into the chassis)
86 - BR/LG from switch..

Now the back of the stock wiper switch has 6 wires.. which ill only be using 4..

Black - grounded.. BR/PK bring to positive terminal of batt with a 10AMP fuse.. And BR/LG run to 86 like mentioned above.

The switch has also a orange wire which is used as a illumination so i might tap into the orange wire behind the bezel if i feel like it.

Can someone just confirm with me the way i have this wired.. This is just for the wiper of course. Dont plan on using the washer part which then is in position of the switch.

And then worry about defrost later.
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page

Last edited by esad_b; 07-20-2010 at 10:11 AM..
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:05 AM   #35
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So last night i wanted to test my circuit before actually putting it in the jeep and i tried it and well it smoked lol...

It smoked on the grounding side of things.. But i did use 2 smaller aligator wires that i think might of been too small to handle the load.

What im not sure about tho is if i wired that stock wiper switch to just use it as a regular switch correctly.
My Progress Page
Unread 07-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #36
Border Dave
Got Sand?

2001 TJ Wrangler 

The whole kit is only $145.59 from Jeepsareus.com. How much is your time worth and are you willing to risk catching your Jeep on fire with your homemade harness?

Jeeps Are Us: HARDTOP WIRING 1997 to 2000
Border Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2010, 11:47 AM   #37
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Border Dave View Post
The whole kit is only $145.59 from Jeepsareus.com. How much is your time worth and are you willing to risk catching your Jeep on fire with your homemade harness?

Jeeps Are Us: HARDTOP WIRING 1997 to 2000
Your absolutely right the only reason i cant get myself to fork over the money for it considering the jeep is not really winter driven. The hardtop would only get used for about 2months tops. I just figured it would be nice to have the wiper working atleast..
My Progress Page
Unread 07-20-2010, 05:32 PM   #38
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

GOT IT!! Just tested it with a volt meter and she works beautifully!

When the switch is off, the "park" wire is hot.. Once you flip the switch the voltage flips over to the wiper run wire..

Now this tested using a booster pack.. and a volt meter, Now simply wire it to batt and the hardtop
My Progress Page
Unread 07-20-2010, 06:24 PM   #39
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

While im at this. I figured Id ask you guys and see if there is any responses..

I currently have fog lights, driving lights with their separate relays and runs to the battery, sharing a common ground between the 2 different switches.

I was gonna place the wiper switch in there, and checked on the FSM and apparently the ORANGE wire is for illumination, my 3rd blank spot has a plug thats in it and apparently its for fog lights. Now my jeep never came factory wired for fogs lights so i installed that myself.

My question is, can i splice into that orange wire and run that to my fog light switch, driving light switch and now wiper switch. This would be in order to clean up some of the wire runs that are happening and save me 2 runs to the battery in the engine bay compartment.

Or is the illumination wire only for when i actually turn on my headlights and it lights up the interior when its dark?
My Progress Page
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:03 PM   #40
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well now that the wiring is all good to go, i just have to place in the jeep and thats pretty much 80% complete.

Here is a short video of my test circuit and the wiper actually working lol..

My Progress Page
Unread 02-12-2011, 10:54 PM   #41
turbojoe
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Can you make an updated post with exactly how you built the harness. A picture would be good too.
THanks
Joe

Jeep
turbojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #42
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojoe View Post
Can you make an updated post with exactly how you built the harness. A picture would be good too.
THanks
Joe
No problem. Currently only the wiper is installed/wired as you can see from the video. I found the plug-in end in a 03 durango on the power seat

But I got some picture of the actual schematic used that I will upload.

EDIT:

Here is the actual schematic. On pinout 87 of the relay, just go to the pink/brown wire ignore the black/light green thing there.. If you have any questions let me know what exactly you want to know?

My Progress Page

Tags
hard top , hardtop , wiring , wiring harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.