Hardtop Homemade Wiring Harness - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop Homemade Wiring Harness

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-27-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hardtop Homemade Wiring Harness

So i just picked up a 06 Hardtop for my 97 TJ got a SWEET deal on that only had the soft top option so now Im stuck without the wiring harness. I also did some researching and found out that if i get the wiring harness for my 97, that i would need to get a adapter because the 03-06 tops had a different plugs on them which didn't match the 97-02 wiring harness.

Now looking at the parts on jeepsarus.com this entire thing would cost me 200$ plus shipping.. Which I quite frankly think is a bit too much for my pocket currently. Which after shipping I think I would end up costing almost just as much as the top did itself

Now im wondering have any of you guys rigged up your own harness'? Im thinking I wasnt even going to hook the washer tube up, it would be just the defroster and wiper. I did some searching on the forums but didnt come across anything besides people explaining how to install the actual harness itself.

Hoping some of you guys can guide me in the right direction here with this.

Thanks!

--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
esad_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Someones gotta be able to help me out
--- 2.5L | 5SPD | 31" Goodyear Authority A/T | Ramsey 8000 Winch | Rubicon Rocker Guards ---
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #3
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So no one made their own simple harness?? Im sure there is gurus in here!

I saw a guy named combatsylvania did apparently but hes website doesnt work and neither has he been on these forums since 07.
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You'll need a few things before you get started:

- Rear wiper switch. Easy to find in a pick-n-pull junkyard in a later model XJ Cherokee, they use the same one as the TJ.

- Rear defroster switch. Ditto on the XJ Cherokee.

- Plug to mate with the plug on the hardtop. Since it is unlikely you'll be lucky enough to find a TJ in the junkyard with the harness and plug, for the later model hardtop you have a compatible plug can be found connecting the power seats of a Dodge Durango or Dakota. (If you had an earlier hardtop, a plug compatible with that one could be found under the dash of an XJ, behind the glove box, it's lime green in the XJ).

- Factory wiring diagram. You should be able to find one somewhere on the web if you don't have the factory service manual.

- Assorted wire and wiring supplies.

Once you've acquired all of those items, you should be able to use the factory wiring diagram to make the harness. It's pretty straightforward.

BTW, connecting up the rear washer is a little more complicated, IIRC there's a second pump motor that gets installed on the wiper reservoir to pump fluid to the rear washer. You'd need to find a compatible wiper pump.

Does that give you enough to go on?

Jeff

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:06 PM   #5
-dirt-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

From having installed one of these before, I can tell you that the 2nd washer pump looks very much like the regular washer pump. So it may be the same part. But you will have to cut an additional hole in your fluid reservoir, or salvage a dual set-up from something.
Red Jeep Club Member #565
My Registry Profile

WTB: UnderCover Fab No-Body Lift Skid Plate
WTB: Rokmen or Currie Control Arms
↑ PM me!

Ever had Death Wobble? Please respond to the poll here!
-dirt- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscherb View Post
You'll need a few things before you get started:

- Rear wiper switch. Easy to find in a pick-n-pull junkyard in a later model XJ Cherokee, they use the same one as the TJ.

- Rear defroster switch. Ditto on the XJ Cherokee.

- Plug to mate with the plug on the hardtop. Since it is unlikely you'll be lucky enough to find a TJ in the junkyard with the harness and plug, for the later model hardtop you have a compatible plug can be found connecting the power seats of a Dodge Durango or Dakota. (If you had an earlier hardtop, a plug compatible with that one could be found under the dash of an XJ, behind the glove box, it's lime green in the XJ).

- Factory wiring diagram. You should be able to find one somewhere on the web if you don't have the factory service manual.

- Assorted wire and wiring supplies.

Once you've acquired all of those items, you should be able to use the factory wiring diagram to make the harness. It's pretty straightforward.

BTW, connecting up the rear washer is a little more complicated, IIRC there's a second pump motor that gets installed on the wiper reservoir to pump fluid to the rear washer. You'd need to find a compatible wiper pump.

Does that give you enough to go on?

I already got the switches actually today from a XJ just happened to come across them so i grabbed them.

Wiring diagram sure i got the FSM but they got some sort of letter goes on it that i dont understand at all.

And the plug your saying fits from a durango power seat to the 03-06 hardtop?

Jeff
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_j00 View Post
From having installed one of these before, I can tell you that the 2nd washer pump looks very much like the regular washer pump. So it may be the same part. But you will have to cut an additional hole in your fluid reservoir, or salvage a dual set-up from something.
Yah the washer doesnt really bother me Id just would hook the defrost and wiper up anyways.
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:40 PM   #7
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

For example this is the rear defrogger.. I personally can follow a electrical schematic i just dont understand what some things like C15, C326 or A4 mean..
Here is the actual diagram too.

This is just the diagram, not the entire FSM.

http://www.scribd.com/full/33718376?...zwutw2xan6ngn2
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #8
jscherb
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by esad_b View Post
For example this is the rear defrogger.. I personally can follow a electrical schematic i just dont understand what some things like C15, C326 or A4 mean..
Here is the actual diagram too.

This is just the diagram, not the entire FSM.

reardefrogger - Fullscreen
Section 8W-01 of the FSM provides a key to all of the symbols and conventions used in the wiring diagram drawings.

Visit my Jeep Projects site for info on my custom Jeep projects:
  • Retro Wrangler pickup
  • Gaucho CJ pickup
  • Safari Cab custom modular hardtop
  • Fiberglass Jeep-tub trailer kit
  • CJ Grille Conversion Kit for the TJ/LJ
  • Fiberglass Military Replica Trailer Kit
jscherb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:17 PM   #9
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The factory wiring kit is really nice, but...
You can really get by with 4 wires.

1. Black at hardtop connector 12 gauge Ground. Factory kit runs this wire thru firewall grommet to a point near battery.
2. 12 gauge with relay preferably to black/white at top. Defrost
3. Hot in run 12V, to brown/pink wire at hardtop. 18 gauge
4. Wire from ground thru switch to black light green. This should turn wiper on/off and allow it to park in correct position. 18 gauge

As prior poster said, best to use a FSM. The colors I stated are from my 2005 FSM. You will find there are two brown/pink wires at hardtop plug. These connect together in the hardtop, so connect to either.

Hope This Helps
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog

Last edited by jeffjeep1; 07-19-2010 at 08:02 PM..
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Im guessing point 3 and 4 are both to do with the wiper correct? I just did a schematic for the defrost with a relay ill put it up here soon see what you guys say.
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:49 PM   #11
Border Dave
Got Sand?
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought the 2000-2002 kit from JeepsAreUs and installed it last week. The instructions are probably sort of similar as a 97. Would it help if I scanned the instructions for you?

edit: Just to clarify, the washer bottle is EXACTLY the same as the old one, except that the new one has one extra hole to the rear of the existing one. The new washer pump is exactly the same part as the old one which gets reinstalled into the new bottle.

edit: Here are the instructions for the 2000-2002s in your newer post: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ha...wrong-1071808/

Last edited by Border Dave; 07-19-2010 at 09:26 AM..
Border Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Well i have a 97, but the top is a 06 lol
My Progress Page
Unread 06-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

So this is what i came up with for the wiper and the defroster, basically id have 2 separate relays with 2 switches, unless i wanted to run both of them at the same time would that even be possible? Just link the Black and white to 87 also under the wiper schematic?

My Progress Page
Unread 07-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #14
esad_b
1997 TJ Wrangler 

No one can help me verify my schematics?
My Progress Page
Unread 07-06-2010, 06:10 AM   #15
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Cavity # 1 Black/White 12 ga
#3 BR/LG
#4 & 5 BR/PK
#5 Black Ground 12 Ga

I do not pay attention to relay contact numbers. If 30 is the common to both NC and NO contacts then GTG. I suggest a smaller fuse for the control side. 5 Amp should be sufficient
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard top , hardtop , wiring , wiring harness

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.