Hardtop Hoist Ideas? (no garage, no carport) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop Hoist Ideas? (no garage, no carport)

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 05-01-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
EDGEY
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hardtop Hoist Ideas? (no garage, no carport)

I'm sure this isn't the first thread of its' kind, but I thought I'd see if anyone has any ideas I haven't thought of...

I have no garage and no carport, but I have a car and a half driveway. I want to be able to take the hardtop off my LJ on my own, so I'm looking for some ideas, plans, concepts, etc. Cost is a factor (when isn't it?), so something DIY would be ideal.

Anyone have any creative input or pics of something they've built that would help?

2008 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - 3"BDS, 35x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, Mickey Thompson Sidebiters, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Smittybilt XRC Modular Bumper
EDGEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
TedderX_
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Mount a hoist on the side of your house? make sure the arm is collapsable that way you can put it down?

Oh Crap! Handle- Standard Equipment

Quote:
"If you need a knife to open your knife, you've bought the wrong knife". -Tedder
TedderX_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:11 PM   #3
monkeygruven
2004 TJ Wrangler 

got a basketball goal?

The real trail rated badges are located on your skid plates.
monkeygruven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
little_Jeep
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I used square 1 inch metal tube stock to build an A frame for a porch swing. I kind of built it over kill as if it was taller, I could use it as an engine hoist. Maybe you could build such an A frame and hang a porch swing from it when not being used as a hoist?
little_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
ZachAttack923
1997 TJ Wrangler 

a frame that doubles as a swing
or
put two 6x6's in concrete on the side of your house with a cross beam and may be some bracing(dont even have to put in two posts if you used the house as one of the posts)

did some thing like what i describe but with a over built kids play set.(it was made of 6x6s and lots of bracing, the thing was a tank and had the sickest rope swing in to the river.) took the swings off of it and added a pulley. than pulled the jeep under and attaced the hard top to a cable that we ran to a side by side which we used to lift the hardtop. than drove the jeep back to the drive way. lowered the hard top in to a yard trailer. attached the trailer to the side by side and took the hard to to the storage shed on the back part of his property. we left it in the trailer till the end of summer and than we reversed the steps. can be done with one person but goes really quick with three or four people.
2.5L Low Output #923
White Jeep Club #923
1997 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L AX-5 D30/35 4.10 gears
31in Wildcat A/T's
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_niko View Post
I would be as nervous as a virgin on prom night if I had to drive that
ZachAttack923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 04:16 PM   #6
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You need the 6 pack....

Either you work out and get a set so you can lift it yourself, or buy a pack and attract some frineds over to help you.
Unread 05-01-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
EDGEY
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
You need the 6 pack....

Either you work out and get a set so you can lift it yourself, or buy a pack and attract some frineds over to help you.
hah! It's an LJ - that thing is a complete unweildy pain in the ***.

Also: I have no friends.

2008 Black Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon - 3"BDS, 35x12.50 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZs, Mickey Thompson Sidebiters, Bushwacker Flat Flares, Smittybilt XRC Modular Bumper
EDGEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #8
Benderff

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Check this dude out. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/h...ml#post9356853 (The in keg the back says it was well thought out!) There is another thread about a guy that built a 2x4 structure with a hoist also.
Unread 05-01-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You need the 6 pack....

this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDGEY View Post
Also: I have no friends.
make friends, or you're screwed.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2010, 05:24 PM   #10
thecleaner
2002 TJ Wrangler 

6 x 6's? How freaking heavy is the hardtop? Sounds like waay overkill. 4x4's would probably do it, but if you wanted to make sure then I can maybe see 4x6's

But anyway, back to topic. I agree with the porch swing style frame. You could even put some casters on it to make it mobile.
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #11
BrandNew
2004 TJ Wrangler 

do you have any trees in you yard?
Unread 05-01-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
KRenegade
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Seems to me that if you go with the 6x6s or the 4x4s half the work is going to alrdy be done for a car port. If you can I would just save up and built the car port then not only would you have a place to winch up your lid but also a place to keep your jeep out of the weather I.e no more worrying about putting the top up for a late night thunder storm. Just my .02 but why do anything half way. A car port isn't rocket science me and my dad put one up in a weekend takeing frequent breaks and drinking large quantities of beer lol.
Unread 05-01-2010, 07:07 PM   #13
arcticchilla
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Check this dude out. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/h...ml#post9356853 (The in keg the back says it was well thought out!) There is another thread about a guy that built a 2x4 structure with a hoist also.
I rent right now and the above seems to be a simple yet effective way of tackling the problem. I'll probably do something similar...
arcticchilla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diy , hardtop , hoist

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.