hardtop headliners/Insulation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hardtop headliners/Insulation

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 01-26-2006, 11:23 AM   #1
wdyman

hardtop headliners/Insulation

Anyone have pics or ideas of insulating a hardtop for noise and temperature control? Thought about just putting some thin indoor outdoor carpet up there but just curious about some better options. Also considered the spray in sound deadener that would also help insulate but would like some feed back on that also.

wdyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdyman
Anyone have pics or ideas of insulating a hardtop for noise and temperature control? Thought about just putting some thin indoor outdoor carpet up there but just curious about some better options. Also considered the spray in sound deadener that would also help insulate but would like some feed back on that also.
If you really want sound deadening, you could line the roof with Dynomat (expensive in stores, dirt cheap on ebay) and then cover it with carpet. Then it would look nice, be insulating and sound deadening. And then after you do it you have to do a step by step write up and email me all the details so I can do it to my girlfriends TJ.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1
RAAB3485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
LoneJeeper
i wear foil underwear too

1999 TJ Wrangler 

you could also go to california tops , deal with potentially bi-polar customer service, and get a thinsulate liner.... or... ask said potentially bi-polar company owner for some hi-res pics and build it yourself.

I used about 3 yards of 400g thinsulate.

lj
Unread 01-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #4
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

There was a guy on Ebay selling something for that a while back. Pretty good idea actually. Take a thick piece of felt, measure the width of your rollbars and the length from your windshield to the rear, cut the felt so it is a little wider and sandwich it in between. If you go with sound deadener/insulator Dynamat makes a good spray,....but it is pricey. You could go really trick and upholster the inner side of the hard top.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
BeerMonkeY
2007 JK Wrangler 

i carpted my old yj hard top but when the sun hit it for the whole daythe spray adhevisive loosend up and fell off
Unread 01-26-2006, 12:19 PM   #6
cheesycook
Accident Prone Bonehead

I bet that was fun to clean up! What adhesive did you use? I only use 3M because I have seen results like that in cars with other stuff.
98 TJ 4.0 Stick 30 Lock-Right/44 True-Track,4.56. Fire RED. Optima Red top. 3" Full Traction lift, Cragar 352 Street locks w/3.75 BS. 32" BFG AT's. Sailcloth top. Classic4x4 tubular fenders. AtoZ Fab rockers and front and rear bumpers. TBT sportsbar and rear spreader. VDP 6 speaker bar. 2K Intake Manifold. Tuffy Speaker lock boxes. Power inverter. Cobra CB. Magellan GPS. Bed lined tub. 3core HD radiator. Olds airbox with Hummer snokle. Besttop seat covers with heaters. All running lights LED.Steering and oil pan skids. Mile Marker PE8000 winch. Currie Anti-Rock. Olympic trunk. Tuffy Console....and Buddha on the winch. :) And a child seat stained with mud.
Hermiston, ORL

AtoZ Where Zach makes me toys!
Stu-Offroad, because I don't have a clue, but Stu does!
cheesycook is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
wdyman

I bought the liner from California Tops and it did not work very well, definetly not worth the money. I live in Arizona and when it got hot inside the adhesive velcro that held the liner in place fell down. The only thing the liner did was help with some of the heat transfer from the top, not much for sound reduction. Just a big side note. I WILL NEVER BUY FROM CALIFORNIA TOPS AGAIN. They would not respond to any of my emails or phone calls when I wanted to return a defective part. I finally had the credit card company I used deal with them and got a full credit but what a pain in the a$$.
wdyman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2006, 01:06 PM   #8
acejeep

If you've ever read one of his replies RE - Defective Anything Return, he did you a favor. Unless you like getting emails filled with obscenities ...........

I'm no prude but I'm surprised somebody has driven up to Canada and whipped his a$$.

He's a very "special" person. Got me once, never again.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.