hardtop headliner - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hardtop headliner

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #1
grayI6

hardtop headliner

Does anyone have experience with hardtops that have a headliner installed? Does this help with noise and temperature?

thanks

grayI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2007, 07:13 PM   #2
wazilian
1997 TJ Wrangler 

interesting...i would love to quiet the hard top a bit

***bump***
Black Hard Top...when its on
Garfield Air Freshener
And there's a frame under there too...I've seen it
wazilian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2007, 07:44 PM   #3
redvett94

I bought my headliner form this site and cut to fit and what a difference it made in the heat and cut down the noise too.
http://www.stockinteriors.com/autoheadliner.asp
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM   #4
tjthorson
2014 JK Wrangler 

I went to Home Depot and bought some grey indoor/outdoor carpet. I bought some carpet adhesive and a trowel and put the hardtop upside down and installed the carpet. Havent had it through a winter yet - but I got tired of the water dripping on me while driving to work in the snow. It has quieted down the interior a lot - and I am very happy with it. Total investment about $20. Some may feel putting on the adhesive ruins the top, I didnt mind....
Orange Crush Jeep Club Member #50
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Gecko Green (Wife's DD)
Gecko Green Jeep Club Member #1
2005 Yellow Unlimited Rubicon (sold)
My Band! -> http://www.forgethannah.com
http://www.toddsplace.com
tjthorson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-14-2007, 08:43 PM   #5
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.stu-offroad.com/body/ht/hardtop-1.htm

Looks like an easy and inexpensive way to go.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 07:57 PM   #6
grayI6

Thanks guys.

Any thoughts on the Bestop hard tops?
grayI6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:07 PM   #7
extmc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I went to an upholstery shop and bought the foam back vinyl that is used in farm tractor cabs for the top on my "92 YJ. Uses spray foam adhesive and vinyl piping around the edge to fininh it. Made my yj a lot quieter and a lot warmer in Manitoba winters. Will be doing the same thing to my >97TJ
extmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #8
rubicon4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayI6
Thanks guys.

Any thoughts on the Bestop hard tops?
I have the Black 2 piece Bestop Hard Top w/ grey lined carpet interior. It is a really nice top but I suggest going with the 1-piece if you can. The 2 piece is nice for storage but looks kind of goofy if you take the cockpit cover off for the "sunroof effect." Plus it's more of a hassle to put the top on, it needs a lot of adjustments to get just right - so it doesn't leak in heavy rain - and wears more on the OEM rubber gasket seals.

pros: nice bright dome light that can be modded to LED easily so i hear; comes with wiring harness; defrost rear window w/ gas charged shocks, tinted windows; nice carpeted interior holds temperatures better and is awesome for stereo acoustics for a TJ; vented side panels; awesome heavy-duty rubber mesh overhead storage compartments; stores in a smaller space in garage

cons: crappy latches, hassle to deal with the removable cockpit shell, some edges are kind of sharp and cut into door and windshield seals after repeated use; heavy-probably heavier than OEM hardtop, $1500 on SALE; leaks in front corners if you don't align everything well (2piece problem only i imagine); can't just leave it outside like OEM due to carpeting and mildew/smells-not as easy to clean

"Now, we must all fear evil men, but there is another kind of evil, which we must fear most, and that is, the indifference of good men."
rubicon4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
dcalthetiger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What size did you buy and how many cans of adhesive?
Thanks
dcalthetiger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.