Hardtop Adjustment - Wind Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop Adjustment - Wind Noise

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-29-2005, 10:08 AM   #1
2004JeepTJ

Hardtop Adjustment - Wind Noise

Hey guys, once I hit 60-65mph I get a TON of wind noise at the top of the windshield frame where it seals against the hardtop. I am thinking I'll loosen the 6 bolts that secure the top to the tub, and shift the entire top towards the rear of the vehicle. This should make my hardtop latches up front close/open tighter, and create a better seal at the top of the windshield.

currently the latches are not very hard to open or close, so they are not squeezing the top to the windshield frame as well as they should be.

Does anyone have any advice? I was also thinking of putting a piece of foam weatherstripping between the hardtop and the windshield frame. There is already the OEM rubber there, so I'm not sure if I should add foam.

Tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help in advance!

Unread 09-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I always got the best seal by clamping the hardtop to the windshield first, which seems to pull it into the position that fits the best, then tightening the six bolts in the rear afterwards.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 10:18 AM   #3
redvett94

I just used some vaccum hose and slit it. I put it on the edge that the front clamps pull down on and that tightened up the front.
Unread 09-29-2005, 11:04 AM   #4
jeffjeep1
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I am a newby to Jeep hard tops. When I picked it up from the private seller, he latched the front first, then the bolts. I too had wind noise.
I did just what you said and moved the top towards the rear to establish a better door gap, and fit over the rear body better. I did tighten the body bolts first, then latched. No more noise and no water leaks.

Owners Manual does state to positon top so there is no overhang at the windshield frame. It also states to insatall the top in the reverse order from removal, which would have you tighten bolts first, then latch at windshield.
Amazing what one can learn when reading the OM.
Heidi - Golden Retriever/Jeep Dog
jeffjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2005, 11:09 AM   #5
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I second Jerry's recommendation to latch the front first. I'm not sure your plan of shifting the entire top backwards would work, if I'm understanding you correctly. My top fits snugly in only one position, and moving it back would make it not align correctly to the tub. Does it leak in the rain? I have an indentation in my windshield channel which matches the front edge of the hardtop to keep out wind and rain. Latching the front first assures that it's seated correctly. The only other thing I woud suggest is trying to carefully bend the latches slightly, making them effectively shorter. This should serve to clamp the top down tighter when you have them latched (I did this with my no-drill bikini header, but it's much lighter).
Unread 09-29-2005, 03:40 PM   #6
DigDug

Quote:
Originally Posted by redvett94
I just used some vaccum hose and slit it. I put it on the edge that the front clamps pull down on and that tightened up the front.
I did kinda the same thing... Took some thin cardboard, folded it over a few times, and stuck it inbetween the clamps and the metal on the winshield frame... Pulled the top down more snug against the winshield and made a ton of difference... I suppose I could get a new gasket, but it'd rot the next summer when the top came off for a few months
DigDug is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.