Hard top warping? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard top warping?

Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!!

Unread 09-24-2013, 04:34 PM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Hard top warping?

Had my half doors and rampage top on all summer but the mornings and nights are getting colder so I decided to put my full doors and hard top back on. But when I clamped down the locks from the hard top to the windshield the doors wont shut without hitting the top. The rubber gets bent backwards and the metal edge of the door hits the top.
I had this set up on last year so I know it all works. Hard top has been stored on end on a stand in the garage and doors have been kept in my room. Is it possible that the hard top could have warped in any way?

Unread 09-24-2013, 06:07 PM   #2
Ryman12
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt the hardtop got warped. I dont think fiberglass can warp for that matter. If im understanding you correctly the part thats hitting the hard top is the rubber gasket on the trailing edge of the door? If so try undoing the windshield clips, loosening the bolts, slide it back a little, tighten the bolts back down and then clamp it to the windshield. I've had this problem before with my hard top. It was just an issue of getting it bolted back down properly.
Unread 09-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #3
Doubblea
1999 TJ Wrangler 

that is more than likely the problem^^. However I do believe fiberglass can warp.
Unread 09-25-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yes the rubber is hitting but also the metal part of the door next to the rubber is hitting in some areas. When putting on the top in the past I have just sat it down on the tub, clipped the windshield in, then worried about the bolts. This time I had put it on how you suggested and got all the bolts tightened and the drivers side clip in. If I try to clamp down the passenger side clip it pulls the top forward enough for it to hit the door again. Not buying a new top, doors or tub lol so need to live with it or play with it to try to fix it.
As far as warping goes that was the only thing I could think of that could have happened. Although I don't know how or why it would happen when they sell carts that sit the top in the position mine was resting in.
Unread 09-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
Actingkindaloco
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hardtops can deform under pressure. The PO stored the hardtop with a heavy object on top of it, so now it is sunk in the middle.

Tags
full doors , hard top , help needed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.