Hard top roof rack - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard top roof rack

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 03-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #1
lxndrmdean
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hard top roof rack

Hey yall, just wondering. if a roof rack were to be mounted to the top of a hard top with 4 bolts through it and seald ( rack about 3x4) how much weight do you think it could hold without cracking the top or blowing out a window? thanks in advance

Unread 03-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #2
joek81d

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I don't know, I just went with 1 of these.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/12138_000_07.htm
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:14 PM   #3
_TIM_
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I wouldn't think it would hold much, I've seen a few people on here that have used a factory roof rack from an older explorer, I'd bet they would have a good idea of what they would hold
Unread 03-22-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

A friend of mine put a rack on his top, then on the inside he braced all 4 attachment points with brackets(he custom made) that were then bolted onto the roll bar allowing heavy loads, since the wieght of the cargo is actually being held up by the roll bars. Other than how he fabricated the braces, I would not put a rack on my top, with the weight and vibration, its sure to crack the top.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 07:36 AM   #5
lxndrmdean
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well the reason i ask is because there was one installed on the hard top when i bought it. I may just remove the rack, seal up the holes and get a real rack that can hold up
Unread 03-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #6
joe108
2003 TJ Wrangler 

That would be my choice if you can't fabricate brackets that will hold weight as I described.
Most people that are not familiar with Jeeps and the hard top construciton think that the top will hold up with a rack, all they do is make holes in the top that someone else has to deal with.
joe108 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.