Hard top heat insulation. I need some hint for a friend please - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard top heat insulation. I need some hint for a friend please

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-06-2007, 12:48 AM   #1
[ITA]Tsunami
Italian Wheeler in Mexico

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Hard top heat insulation. I need some hint for a friend please

So a friend of mine, other Italian, it's falling in love for this jeep thing and finally bought it's 2004 X. Tomorrow i will install for him a BB and BL / MML with 33 and OME shocks. Right now he is the happiest 55 year old child i've ever seen . And tonight he ask me to help him find a solution for his hartop.

He complain about the top becaming too hot under the sun. What do you guys sugest me (him)? He would like to insulate it. I know he will stay with the hard top for a long while, he want it for better protection (he is here also with his 5 year old daughter, and he feel better like this, so please answers like "remove top and doors and forget about'em" are not an option, even if personally i prefer that way. And i'm working on this with him, but it is his jeep so, i respect his choice).

Btw, thank you all in advance for the help., as usual

However it is a strange twist in the cosmic thread that will not allow the driver of a Jeep that has experienced air bag deployment off-road to consume beef for 48 hours after the event. You can consume chicken, pork, turkey, or emu.
[ITA]Tsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 01:44 AM   #2
jdflute
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hi,
I live in the Middle East and so have just taken down my soft top for the winter . Up until recently I had a hard top which was blisteringly hot. The big difference between the two is that the soft top has tinted window which makes an enormous difference, but imho the soft top does not radiate the heat the way a hard top does and is able to vent the heat far quicker.
I did play around with the idea of a liner for noise reduction such as http://www.californiatops.com/liner_hard.html
but for the next six months the top will be down so I can't be bothered. This sort of thing should provide greater heat and noise reduction.
As far as protection goes (and I assume you mean for safety and not comfort), the hard top is fibreglass which will shatter in a crash and is far more dangerous than fabric, but if you want true safety buy a saloon car.
Weather wise the soft top is noisier at speed but keeps out the rain with no problems (it doesn't rain often but when it does it REALLY RAINS )
My four year old son begged me to get the soft top the minute I bought my jeep and would be totally gutted if I were to put the hard top back on, which I assure you will never happen
When the sun is really hot the soft top will go back up and provide all the protection that a 4year old and his 4month old brother will ever need.
At the end of the day an open jeep is the ultimate driving experience
Protection from the elements = soft top when it is really hot, hard top only when it is really cold and naked in between . I suppose the nice thing about the california liner is that you could use it for both situations, never thought about it like that before.
Oh, good call on the OME shocks, I'm getting the OME coils this weekend to go with my 32" BFG's on OME shocks and stabilisers.
Jd

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
jdflute is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 05:55 AM   #3
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmmmm.....hot.....hardtop.......YES I've got it!.A/C! without it nothing will help I had a Jeep without it so I know that 102 degrees with tinted windows is no help at all.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
sbulla
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ITA]Tsunami
He complain about the top becaming too hot under the sun. What do you guys sugest me (him)?
Maybe, paint it a light color....white, silver, etc.

Sonny
'06 Unlimited
sbulla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:48 AM   #5
Michael_K

I did that for sound insulation but it works better as a heat insulation.

HTH,

Michael K.
Unread 11-06-2007, 06:54 AM   #6
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboogieman
Hmmmmm.....hot.....hardtop.......YES I've got it!.A/C! without it nothing will help I had a Jeep without it so I know that 102 degrees with tinted windows is no help at all.
i donno about you, but my AC isnt strong enough to cool off on a extremely hot day

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2007, 09:54 AM   #7
jecaper
2004 LJ Wrangler 

I went the cheap way and bought a couple of the windshield reflectors from Walmart. I used zip ties and created a thermal blanket that stretches across the top of the soft top from frame member to frame member.

It has reduced the heat by about 20 degrees F and my summer was pretty smooth. It may not be the prettiest solution, but for 8 bucks, how could I go wrong?

Noise was also reduced some, but that is only with the full hard doors on.
Unread 12-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #8
vodadub
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_K View Post

I did that for sound insulation but it works better as a heat insulation.

HTH,

Michael K.

Nice job ...
Anyone got any specifications on it?
Whut type of materials are those?

vodadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2009, 06:29 PM   #9
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdflute View Post
Do not give this guy any money! Bad vendor...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.