Hard Top with half Doors worth it? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Top with half Doors worth it?

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM   #1
newcaddy4j

Hard Top with half Doors worth it?

I am currently looking into getting a hard top. The thing is I have half doors. I know you can run it like that, but it is really worth it? I mean does having half doors defeat the advantages gained from running a hard top. ie... security, road noise reduction?

I know I could get sliders or full doors but I am not willing to take on the additional costs yet.

Thanks

Keep it Real Ol' XJ and TJ

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
newcaddy4j is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:37 AM   #2
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I can't imagine the pros of a hard top out weigh the cons. I'll give you that a hardtop might be quieter and more secure, but it's heavy and cumbersome. You also have to have a place to store it when it's not on the vehicle. With a soft top, you can put it up and down anytime, anywhere. With a hardtop, if you're out somewhere and it's nice, you're stuck with it on. If it's off and you're out, and it starts raining, you're stuck getting wet. I live in Buffalo and find that the soft top works well year round. I don't even own a hard top. IMO, forget the hard top. It'll be a bigger pain than help.

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
FuzzyDolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM   #3
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I cant really answer your question with the soft doors but I have a different opinion from the last poster. Since you already obviously have a soft top you would be able to gain the advantages of the hard top especially in the winter which is what I plan to do next winter. I would not fool with one in the summer because like he said its too much trouble but come winter they are a lot nicer. But as far as the half doors thing goes I really think it would look retarted. Try to locate some fulls from a junkyard. Who knows you might get lucky. And really who cares if you like the look go for it.
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:51 AM   #4
Combatsylvania

my buddy runs half doors with the hardtop for a couple months each year. it looks perfectly normal.. as far a security goes it doesnt do much, but its nice for those months where it snows one day, and is warm the next.

id get the top, and either find some hard sliders for the half doors, or some full hards. which ever comes first..

ive got full soft doors for the summer, and hard doors for the winter.. and its like owning to completely different vehicles..

Hardtop in the winter is awesome.. never having to worry about plastic / snow weight.. and its definately warmer. not much quieter.

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2007, 09:22 AM   #5
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would have to say that most of the road noise comes from the half doors. Try getting your hands on some doors first.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.