post #1 of Old 04-19-2007, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
newcaddy4j

Hard Top with half Doors worth it?

I am currently looking into getting a hard top. The thing is I have half doors. I know you can run it like that, but it is really worth it? I mean does having half doors defeat the advantages gained from running a hard top. ie... security, road noise reduction?

I know I could get sliders or full doors but I am not willing to take on the additional costs yet.

Thanks

Jeepless....

Keep it Real Ol' XJ and TJ

"Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."
post #2 of Old 04-19-2007, 08:37 AM
FuzzyDolly
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Honestly, I can't imagine the pros of a hard top out weigh the cons. I'll give you that a hardtop might be quieter and more secure, but it's heavy and cumbersome. You also have to have a place to store it when it's not on the vehicle. With a soft top, you can put it up and down anytime, anywhere. With a hardtop, if you're out somewhere and it's nice, you're stuck with it on. If it's off and you're out, and it starts raining, you're stuck getting wet. I live in Buffalo and find that the soft top works well year round. I don't even own a hard top. IMO, forget the hard top. It'll be a bigger pain than help.

Joe

2005 Solar Yellow X
2" Skyjacker BB - 31X10.5\15 Cooper STT
www.wnyoffroad.org
post #3 of Old 04-19-2007, 08:46 AM
jeeptillidie

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I cant really answer your question with the soft doors but I have a different opinion from the last poster. Since you already obviously have a soft top you would be able to gain the advantages of the hard top especially in the winter which is what I plan to do next winter. I would not fool with one in the summer because like he said its too much trouble but come winter they are a lot nicer. But as far as the half doors thing goes I really think it would look retarted. Try to locate some fulls from a junkyard. Who knows you might get lucky. And really who cares if you like the look go for it.
post #4 of Old 04-19-2007, 08:51 AM
Combatsylvania

my buddy runs half doors with the hardtop for a couple months each year. it looks perfectly normal.. as far a security goes it doesnt do much, but its nice for those months where it snows one day, and is warm the next.

id get the top, and either find some hard sliders for the half doors, or some full hards. which ever comes first..

ive got full soft doors for the summer, and hard doors for the winter.. and its like owning to completely different vehicles..

Hardtop in the winter is awesome.. never having to worry about plastic / snow weight.. and its definately warmer. not much quieter.

2006 TJ SE - Does what I want it to do.

http://www.combatsylvania.com
post #5 of Old 04-19-2007, 09:22 AM
dz1087

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I would have to say that most of the road noise comes from the half doors. Try getting your hands on some doors first.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt