Hard Starting - Engine cranks for a long time - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Starting - Engine cranks for a long time

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-23-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
ukgerald
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hard Starting - Engine cranks for a long time

Hi Guys, Just got back from a trip to Lake Tanganika where finding good quality fuel was an issue. I now have a problem starting the Jeep. I have searched under this topic and there are various options - the one I am leaning towards is the fuel pump return valve having failed. Symptoms are : Takes a long time of cranking before it will fire, once running it settles down smooth as ever. To get it to start a bit quicker I crank for a couple of seconds stop, then full throttle and crank again, it then starts pretty quickly. Was wondering whether there are any diagnostics that I can run myself - please bear in mind that I live in the Back of beyond, there is no dealership of reasonable repair centre within 2000km. If the fuel pump is the likely culprit pleas recommend an online company that I could use. Thanks all

Unread 01-23-2010, 07:09 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Turn the key to ON,but don't try to crank it for 5-10 seconds.If it starts up fine it's probably the anti-drainback valve.
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 07:35 AM   #3
jeepgunner12
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I TAP the gas when my Jeep does this. Starts every time no prob.
GREEN JEEP CLUB #385

PM me if you have an old hilift and/or a 31x10.5 R15 youd like to trade or sell, im in the market for a jack and a trailspare. Cheers!
jeepgunner12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #4
jezow2010
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Start your jeep and run it for a minute or so then leave it sit for a half hour to an hour then go to the bleeder on your fuel rail (looks like a large valvestem) and take the cap off and try and bleed the pressure off it. If it has pressure then its not your fuel pump assembly.
jezow2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #5
SkylinesSuck
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Turn the key to ON,but don't try to crank it for 5-10 seconds.If it starts up fine it's probably the anti-drainback valve.
x2 on that. Also one thing to keep in mind. As long as you have the battery power to support it, it's actually probably a good thing to crank it a bit before it fires. It gets just a bit of oil pressure built up and things moving before the engine sees the wear and tear of start up. Mine takes a few seconds to start and I know it's the anti-drain back valve. I'm happy it does it and don't plan on fixing it, but I also know I can just turn the key to "run" for a few seconds then try to start it if I do want it to fire off quickly (like if some girls are watching or something).
Unread 02-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
JeepRob98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Hard Starting Engine

I have this same issue... I had the engine torn apart for 3 weeks of so replacing a piston and rings and rod bearings. And ever since I put it back together it has been starting hard.

I tried what was mentioned above and it started better.. ( turning the key to the On position for 5-10 seconds before starting). Where is this anti-drainback valve located if I wanted to replace it?

Thanks

Rob
JeepRob98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2010, 03:06 PM   #7
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRob98TJ View Post
I have this same issue... I had the engine torn apart for 3 weeks of so replacing a piston and rings and rod bearings. And ever since I put it back together it has been starting hard.

I tried what was mentioned above and it started better.. ( turning the key to the On position for 5-10 seconds before starting). Where is this anti-drainback valve located if I wanted to replace it?

Thanks

Rob
Unfortunately it's part of the pump assembly. You can put an inline check valve from McMaster Carr in the supply line as close to the tank as possible...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2010, 08:41 AM   #8
JeepRob98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotURMailman View Post
Unfortunately it's part of the pump assembly. You can put an inline check valve from McMaster Carr in the supply line as close to the tank as possible...

That is what I thought but could not verify it.... Thanks...
JeepRob98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2010, 01:03 AM   #9
ukgerald
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks all, meant to get around to this reply some time ago. ordered in a new pump assembly and fitted it (alone and on the floor - what a pain in the ***). It solved the problem straight away. Thanks for the advice and help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.