hard shifting after engine swap?!?! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hard shifting after engine swap?!?!

JcrOffroad Black Friday Sale!Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 02-24-2014, 12:02 AM   #1
CPRJeeper

hard shifting after engine swap?!?!

alright so long story short, i got my engine swapped out because oil pump quit and the guage didnt tell me. After it got out of the shop, it was hard to shift into first and second gear and grinds when going into reverse. they tried to tell me it was my syncros, but i dont believe that it was just a coincidence that after it got out of the shop, it suddenly doesnt shift properly. My guess, is that the clutch disc was installed backwards. what do you guys think?

CONTINUE READING!

other useful information:
IT SHIFTS FINE WHEN THE JEEP IS OFF!!
It doesn't roll forward or backwards when in neutral or when clutch is disengaged
It's only hard to shift into first and second.
Fifth gear seems a little TOO easy to shift into
Third gear doesnt feel like it's where it was before the engine swap (if that makes any sense)
Sometimes, I hear a click shortly after my clutch is pressed in only when I'm stopped though.
They didnt touch the hydraulics (according to them)
It doesnt grind in any other gears except reverse
It was a 4.0 (stock) to 4.0 ATK swap
It's still the original clutch

again, seeing that they didnt replace the clutch or even touch the transmission, my only educated guess could be that the clutch was installed in the new engine backwards, but that would also lead to the clutch not properly disengaging, am i right?

Any other questions to get a better picture of what might be happening?

P.S. My dad seems to think that the new engine wasn't "aligned" right with the transmission. From what I've heard, there's only one way it can go on, and this honestly sounds like more of a clutch issue to me

CPRJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-24-2014, 03:59 AM   #2
ravenworks
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Maybe your dad is thinking in the right direction,I'd say maybe the flywheel wasn't dialed in?
Unread 02-24-2014, 04:47 AM   #3
Oldchief1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

If your new engine was used and if it had been bolted to an auto trans in it's former vehicle, maybe whomever installed it didn't put in a pilot bearing.
Or, if engine was brand new or rebuilt, it probably wouldn't have had a pilot bearing installed. Pilot bearings or bushings insert in the rear end of the crank shaft and the nose or front of your manual tranny's main drive shaft inserts in to it, so that the trans is properly aligned with the engine and supported there. Engines that had auto tranny's don't have and don't need this bushing as they have a torque converter bolted to the flywheel. Look at the parts listed on the installer's bill, to see if a pilot bearing is listed on it...a new one should have been installed, even if engine already had one. If one isn't listed, ask your installer if they know or can find out if engine was formerly used with an auto tranny. If pilot bearing was not installed, you dad could be right.
Oldchief1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
CPRJeeper

UPDATE!! I asked teh mechanic he said the block was from another manual wrangler. I also asked him about the alignment thing, and he showed me this alignment tool that he said would make it impossible for it to not be aligned (or something like that) what do you mean by the flywheel being dialed in correctly?

I changed the tranny fluid, it didnt have any chunks of metal in there (to my relief), but it did have some metal flakes that were orange on one side and well silver on the other, there was only a small amount of these flakes, but is it anything to be worried about? also the fluid was a dark brown, cloudy, and the viscosity was VERY thin, like it was almost like the consistency of water. Changing the fluid still doesnt resolve my problem, and the guys at the shop (that did my engine swap) are basically telling me that it's all in my head. I'm bringing it into an actual tranny shop tomorrow to get it diagnosed. I jsut hope they dont try to stiff me and get me to buy something I don't need.
CPRJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-26-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
jeepwrangler97
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I'm not an expert by any means, but sounds like something not right with the clutch/flywheel.

As for grinding going into R, does it do it if you put it in 1st then R? You should put it in 1st, then R

Mine doesn't always want to slide into R, but never grinds if I put it in 1st first.

Actually the only manual trans vehicles I've ever driven needed to go in 1st before they'd go into R easily.

Edit: I can't see from my phone, but if you have the ax15 (97-99), then the spec is for either 75w-90 gear oil or 10w-30 motor oil.

Be careful which gear oil you use, some are not safe for the syncros in the ax15.

Redline mt90 is supposed to be good...I've currently got Royal Purple 10w-30 motor oil in mine, which I really like.

Edit again: please fill out your profile so we know what you're talking about.

Also, considering you're in npr, I'd highly recommend heading to St. Pete & taking it to Jeepetos. If you're going to deal with any shop in your area, I highly, highly recommend Jeepetos. It's really not far off of 19 & doesn't take too long from npr.

If I were still in that area, I'd stop & lend a hand

Sent by a messenger bird
jeepwrangler97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
clutch , engine swap , grinding , hard shift 1st to 2nd , transmission

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.