hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold????

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 09-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #1
jcampbell
2006 TJ Wrangler 

hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold????

2006 unlimited auto w/50k...started as a hard shift from 1st to 2nd when cold.dealer changed sensor, valve body and lets not forget a short they claimed last. now we just have a hesintation from 1st to 2nd... the dealer has thrown in the towel and told me that it was "tolerable" . any suggestions before i choke him to death?????

jcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:40 PM   #2
matthewh_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Do you have a leather shift boot, or the older accordion one? I know with mine with the accordion one, it gets super hard to shift because the boot stiffens up.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
When a girl tells you your flex is sexy then you are doing something right in life.
matthewh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #3
jcampbell
2006 TJ Wrangler 

it's a automatic..
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:45 PM   #4
matthewh_1
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well never mind then
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #70
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclauson View Post
When a girl tells you your flex is sexy then you are doing something right in life.
matthewh_1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
jcampbell
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks anyway!!!
Unread 09-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Itsjustme2see

Try this.
DRIVE LEARN
When a transmission is repaired and a Quick Learn procedure has been performed on the Transmission Control Module (TCM), the following Drive Learn procedure can be performed to fine tune any shifts which are particularly objectionable.

NOTE: It is not necessary to perform the complete Drive Learn procedure every time the TCM is Quick Learned. Perform only the portions which target the objectionable shift.

LEARN A SMOOTH 1ST NEUTRAL TO DRIVE SHIFT
Perform this procedure only if the complaint is for a delayed or harsh shift the first time the transmission is put into gear after the vehicle is allowed to set with the engine not running for at least 10 minutes. Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the 1st N-D UD CVI.

NOTE: The transmission oil temperature must be between 27-43 C (80-110 F).
1. Start the engine only when the engine and ignition have been off for at least ten (10) minutes.
2. With the vehicle at a stop and the service brake applied, record the 1st N-D UD CVI while performing a Neutral to Drive shift. The 1st N-D UD CVI accounts for air entrapment in the UD clutch that may occur after the engine has been off for a period of time.
3. Repeat Step #1 and Step #2 until the recorded 1st N-D UD CVI value stabilizes.

NOTE: It is important that this procedure be performed when the transmission temperature is between 27-43 C (80-110 F). If this procedure takes too long to complete fully for the allowed transmission oil temperature, the vehicle may be returned to the customer with an explanation that the shift will improve daily during normal vehicle usage. The TCM also learns at higher oil temperatures, but these values (line pressure correction values) are not available for viewing on the scan tool.

LEARN A SMOOTH NEUTRAL TO DRIVE GARAGE SHIFT
Perform this procedure if the complaint is for a delayed or harsh shift when the transmission is put into gear after the vehicle has had its first shift. Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the Norm N-D UD CVI.

NOTE: The transmission oil temperature must be between 27-43 C (80-110 F) to learn the UD CVI. Additional learning occurs at temperatures as low as -18 C (0 F) and as high as 93 C (200 F). This procedure may be performed at any temperature that experiences poor shift quality. Although the UD CVI may not change, shift quality should improve.
1. Start the vehicle engine and shift to drive.
2. Move the vehicle forward to a speed of at least 16 km/h (10 MPH) and come to a stop. This ensures no air is present in the UD hydraulic circuit.
3. Perform repeated N-D shifts at a stop while pausing in Neutral for at least 2-3 seconds and monitor Norm N-D UD CVI volume until the value stabilizes. The value will change during the N-D shift. This is normal since the UD value is different for the N-D shift then the normal value shown which is used for 4-3 coastdown and kickdowns. Perform repeated shifts in this temperature range until the Norm N-D UD CVI value stabilizes and the N-D shifts become smooth.

LEARN THE 1ST 2-3 SHIFT AFTER A RESTART OR SHIFT TO REVERSE
Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the 1st 2-3 shift OD CVI.

NOTE: The transmission oil temperature must be above 27 C (80 F).
1. With the vehicle engine running, select reverse gear for over 2 seconds.
2. Shift the transmission to Drive and accelerate the vehicle from a stop at a steady 15 degree throttle opening and perform a 2-3 shift while noting the 1st 2-3 OD CVI.
3. Repeat Step #1 and Step #2 until the 1st 2-3 upshift becomes smooth and the 1st 2-3 OD CVI stabilizes.

LEARN A SMOOTH 2-3 AND 3-4 UPSHIFT

NOTE: The transmission oil temperature must be above 43 C (110 F).

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the OD and 4C CVI's.

1. Accelerate the vehicle from a stop at a steady 15 degree throttle opening and perform multiple 1-2, 2-3, and 3-4 upshifts. The 2nd 2-3 shift following a restart or shift to reverse will be shown during the shift as a value between the 1st 2-3 OD CVI and the normal OD CVI. Updates to the normal OD CVI will occur after the 2nd shift into 3rd gear, following a restart or shift to reverse.
2. Repeat Step #1 until the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts become smooth and the OD and 4C CVI become stable.

LEARN A SMOOTH 4-3 COASTDOWN AND PART THROTTLE 4-3 KICKDOWN

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the UD shift volume.

1. At a vehicle speed between 64-97 km/h (40-60 MPH), perform repeated 4-3 kickdown shifts.
2. Repeat Step #1 until the UD volume becomes somewhat stable and the shift becomes smooth.

LEARN A SMOOTH 1-2 UPSHIFT AND 3-2 KICKDOWN
Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the 2C shift volume.

1. With a vehicle speed below 48 km/h (30 MPH) and the transmission in 3rd gear, perform multiple 3-2 kickdowns.
2. Repeat Step #1 until the 3-2 kickdowns become smooth and the 2C CVI becomes stable.

LEARN A SMOOTH MANUAL 2-1 PULLDOWN SHIFT AS WELL AS A NEUTRAL TO REVERSE SHIFT

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the LR volume.

1. With the vehicle speed around 40-48 km/h (25-30 MPH) in Manual 2nd, perform manual pulldowns to Low or 1st gear at closed throttle.
2. Repeat Step #1 until the LR CVI becomes stable and the manual 2-1 becomes smooth.

LEARN A SMOOTH NEUTRAL TO REVERSE SHIFT

1. With the vehicle at a stop, perform Neutral to Reverse shifts until the shift is smooth. An unlearned Neutral to Reverse shift may be harsh or exhibit a double bump.
2. If any of the shifts are still not smooth after the clutch volume stabilizes, an internal transmission problem may be present.

LEARN A SMOOTH 4-5 UPSHIFT

Use the following steps to have the TCM learn the Alt 2C CVI.

1. Accelerate the vehicle through 88 km/h (55 mph) at a steady 10-15 degree throttle opening and perform multiple 4-5 upshifts.
2. Repeat Step #1 until the 4-5 shift become smooth and the Alt 2C CVI become stable. There is a separate 2C volume used and learned for 4-5 shifts, 2CA. It is independent of the 2C CVI learned on 3-2 kickdowns.
Itsjustme2see is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #7
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

the 42RLE always has moderately harsh shifts from 1st to 2nd when cold, the TCM delays the engagement - its part of the programming. mine's been like that since new, and after the rebuild.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
jcampbell
2006 TJ Wrangler 

WOW!!!!.........Thanks.... sounds like i will need a type of meter of some sort or will i??
Unread 07-25-2011, 12:18 PM   #9
wudnme
2006 LJ Wrangler 

mine is doing something similar, when mine shifts from 1 to 2 it makes a clunk sound and has a hesitation, but does go on to the next gear. Does this only when cold and sometimes on the shift from 3 to 4 . What is the CVI ? I would like to try these "learn" techniques.
wudnme is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 11:43 PM   #10
LJman06
2006 LJ Wrangler 

mine will rev up to about 2200 rpms before it shifts into second. only when cold though. the shift is also relatively hard and noisy.
Unread 10-01-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
opentop
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Anybody figure out a fix for this bump from first to second

opentop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
faa11

Anybody has an update on this issue?

I am having a similar issue on my 06 TJ auto transmission. Did anyone figure out what is going on?
faa11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:35 AM   #13
VME
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Goodluck. Let me know if you find anything. Somehow, my dealership can "never" reproduce this.

Been multiple threads, with various fixes that cure the problem or don't. New trans, new PCM, new temp sensor, etc.

Some fix it temporarily, some are permanent.
VME is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #14
bigsky006667
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I had the same issue last week on my '06 rubicon LJ. I took it to a transmission shop to be serviced. The code that it showed was for a heat sensor. When they took the pan off to change the sensor, they discovered that the snap ring was breaking apart. I will be having my transmission rebuilt shortly. The hard shift goes away after the first 2 or 3 shifts. You may want to have it checked to see if there is anything floating around in the fluid.
bigsky006667 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-21-2012, 08:47 PM   #15
faa11

Okay so i followed previous suggestion and I reset my PCM. After resetting the PCM the hard shifting from first to second went away. I drove it for 24 hours and still driving great but now the check engine light just came on p0133 which mean O2 sensor slow responding from what I read. So now is the problem Is the PCM or the O2 sensor.
faa11 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.