hard to shift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > hard to shift

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-10-2011, 01:51 AM   #1
offroad1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hard to shift

Hey guys. Got a 97 wrangler. 4cyl 5spd. Its really hard to get it into gear. Like most of the time I've really gotta force it into gear.... Any suggestions. The jeep has 225000miles

offroad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Does it grind when you try shifting into a gear or is it just stiff? Does it shift any differently when the engine isn't running?
Unread 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
offroad1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

It only grinds going into reverse. When the engine is off it shifts effortlessly. Just like its suppose to.
Unread 03-10-2011, 12:28 PM   #4
bippity
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My jeep has a similar problem, It grinds a bit when putting the shifter into 2nd, only when downshifting though. Reverse also grinds a bit like yours.
It also has the same difficulty putting it in gear sometimes, especially reverse. I find that if I take the clutch out when in neutral and then put it in and try shifting again it goes in smoother. I'm talking about at a dead standstill, I go to put it in reverse and something stops it unless I put put both hands on the shifter and yank it into gear, but putting the clutch in and out fixes it.
bippity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:03 PM   #5
jeepoffroad18
1999 TJ Wrangler 

is it cold out? when its cold the boot tends to be stiff when its cold, and there is actually there is another boot you do not see underneath the one you do see. with the 2 boots geting stiff its makes it hard to shift and causes you to grind gears.
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

FYI reverse is an unsynchronized straight cut gear, so obviously its going to grind and be harder to shift into.

OP, its a 14 year old transmission with over 200k miles! What do you except? Synchros wear out, either put up with it or do a rebuild.
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
rudedog231
1999 TJ Wrangler 

original clutch? could be wore ,slave cyl.at end of stroke
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:09 PM   #8
purplepig
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
is it cold out? when its cold the boot tends to be stiff when its cold, and there is actually there is another boot you do not see underneath the one you do see. with the 2 boots geting stiff its makes it hard to shift and causes you to grind gears.
Check this out first. I was having problems when it was cold. I took the accordian shift boot off and made a new one out of a longsleeve shirt. It helped alot.
Try some good oil in there, too.
purplepig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 05:17 PM   #9
ek1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

when is the last time you changed the fluid? I had this problem on my ax-15 when I first bought my jeep. I changed the fluid to Redline MTL and it cured the hard shift problem.

As for reverse, try dropping it in 4th first, then reverse. Shouldn't be any grinds.
ek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-10-2011, 06:45 PM   #10
offroad1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah its the original clutch. I'm gonna change the fluid and get it looked at. Just looking for some ideas as to what it could be. Thanks for all the help

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.