Hanson rear bumper & tire carrier on Jeep TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hanson rear bumper & tire carrier on Jeep TJ

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Hanson rear bumper & tire carrier on Jeep TJ

I've been looking at the Hanson rear bumper and tire carrier for my 2000 Jeep TJ. Does anyone have one of these on their TJ? If so, how do you like it and are there any rattles? Hanson doesn't show too much on their site for the TJ, like it being open, or shows how or where it latches.
Any info and pictures would be very welcome. Thanks!

lowranger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 08:58 PM   #2
Yams
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Where are ya gonna put your high lift jack?
Yams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

There is a place on the tire carrier that it bolts to.
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #4
sukon
2005 LJ Wrangler 

hasen

i have one . no rattles and built very well.
Unread 12-13-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
itzfreddie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Dear god it's a great bumper. Hilift mounted and it's amazing. Any pictures needed I'll get you. I support it much
itzfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #6
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Going on 5 years with a 33" spare mounted to it and 100% satisfied. No rattles of any kind, poly bushing squeeks a little when you swing it open. Have done lots of towing, pulling and yanking with no issues. Frame connection is bomb proof. My wife finds the release latch hard to disengage, I have no issues. Fully open hold open latch works great also. Not cheap but the best never is.
p1010097.jpg   p5220004.jpg  
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ijp4fun.... Thanks soooo much for the info and pictures!
I just have a couple of questions.
Did you have to take the license plate off for the tire carrier? Or because you changed out your tail lights?
Also.... I really like the width of your rims ... I've been wanting to get rid of my 10" wide rims and go down to 8" rims. I have the Mickey Thompson 33" X 12:50 and was wondering what they would look like on 8" rims. I really like the way yours look. I know you have 33" inch tires, how wide are they?
What is the back space on the rims?
I'm also in Northern Ca. Sure wish I had that D-5 on the ranch for about 4 days!
Thanks again for your time and the pictures!
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #8
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

itzfreddie...... Thanks! Any rattles or issues with yours?
I have the same year TJ. Did you install yours?
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
itzfreddie
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No but its a pretty straight forward to install. No rattling and I can stand on the swig out tire carrier with ease. I'm 200 pounds
itzfreddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
stwilson74

2005 LJ Wrangler 

I've had one for about 6 years, the bumper is stout, I have dropped onto many ledges with it and have made many hefty recoveries with it. The tire carrier is kind of crappy. I have had to re-weld it in a couple of places and the design of the extra pin on the driver side was poorly thought out, it tore my tub so I had to fix that and then add a brace, the one on the assenger side squeaks like an SOB. The latch sucks on it and the slide pad wore the powder coat off the bumper. Add to all that the fact that it weighs a ton... I'd consider getting the bumper and a tub mounted carrier. To be fair, they did change the latch assembly, but I don't think I would go for it.
"Betsy" 2005 Unlimited Rubicon Sahara Edition #603 of 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Necromancer_tat View Post
I like having my panties in a wad though, because when I get DW they rub me in just the right way! :D Wadded panties plus DW equals Jeepgasm! :D :kiss:
stwilson74 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #11
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by itzfreddie View Post
No but its a pretty straight forward to install. No rattling and I can stand on the swig out tire carrier with ease. I'm 200 pounds
Wow... you can stand on the swing out tire carrier, that's pretty good and stout.
Does yours have the new latch, where it latches up higher and not at the bottom. I assume the higher latch is the new type latch.
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:02 PM   #12
ijp4fun
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Lowranger...No need to remove the license plate. I like my rigs to look symetrical so that is how I roll. Rims are 15x8 tires are 12:50's like yours and the backspacing is 3.75"
I5 Rentals has dozers in all sizes and the prices are fairly reasonable plus they transport anywhere in Northern Calif.

Pic of a little logging with the Hanson bumper.
p5220011.jpg  
Unread 12-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
lowranger
2000 TJ Wrangler 

ijp4fun..... thanks for the info and picture. We did a little logging on the ranch this year with the Jeep a little to clear the road during deer season.

That's what I ended up doing that last time I needed to do road work. My D-4 died so I rented a Case 450. They drop it off, I use it for 4 or 5 days and then they come pick it up. I have no payments or maintenace.
cimg5086.jpg  
Unread 12-15-2012, 12:24 AM   #14
theGiantPanda
Swap This...

2006 LJ Wrangler 

i have a hanson on my LJ. bought it used off craigslist for 200 IIRC. i used it as the foundation for my swing out tire carrier and then the rear stinger. its built fairly well for a 'formed' plate bumper vs box style. make sure you run bumper/frame re-enforcement brackets no matter what rear set up you run. i did order a front hanson for the LJ and sent it back. for the front i went fab fours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
Hospital? What, are you suffering from Overextended Jeepaphelia or something? :)
I've never been poor, only broke. Poor is a state of mind. Broke is a condition brought on by Jeep ownership and a heavy right foot.

2006 Unlimited Redicon Panda Edition
RRI Long Arm...14" Fox CO's Front and Rear...D60 KP Front and D60 FF Rear... 5.38s spooled...40" Maxxis Trepadors...
6.1 HEMI...Atlas 5.1

5.7 HEMI 400 hp TJ Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ye...17/?highlight=
6.1 HEMI Ultimate LJ Rubicon Build http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/6-...ayhem-1013800/
2.5 to 4.0L swap and build up http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/he.../#post14946167
4.0 to 2008 5.3L GM LS in the Taco'd TJ [frame off build].....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/5-...28/?highlight=
My new DD Build, lift, 4.0 motor swap, done in 6 days?....http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/6.../#post15716292

the new shop... http://redrockwiring.com/ conversion, parts and wiring systems
shop email.... info@redrockindustries.net
LIKE US on facebook..... https://www.facebook.com/redrockindustriesinc adding more daily
redrockindustries.net
theGiantPanda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.