Hanson Prerunner front bumper - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hanson Prerunner front bumper

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 08-06-2007, 10:17 AM   #1
NYresq

Hanson Prerunner front bumper

I bought a new Hanson 60" Prerunner model front bumper and finally got around to installing it this weekend. It didn't come with any instructions so to help the next person that wants to buy one or install one, i hope this helps.

I decided on the 60" because I wanted the protection for my fenders in the daily driving enviorment on Long Island with all the "special people" we have driving here.

The bumper arrived well packed in a heavy cardboard box with sprayed in foam padding all around it. The Hanson Bumper is a heavy well made unit, the shipping label on the box stated 87lbs and the box and padding was about 15lbs at most. All the welds are clean and straight, and the break forms in the steel are perfect. The bars are perfectly rounded and the attachment points for the D-rings are through and welded all the way around on both sides. I was very impressed with the quality of the metal work, and the paint finish on this bumper. But I guess you can say for $650+ it better be top quality.
Despite the padding, the two mounting tabs on the bottom of the bumper were bent upwards and required a bit of adjustment with a prybar to open them up to slide over the chassis rails.

The before Jeep with a push bar on the stock bumper

The old bumper comes off after removing the four T-55 torx bolts on the top and a couple more underneath. The bumper slides off leaving the chassis rail ends and the cross member between them. the next step is to remove the cover over the sway bar. This is two bolts on each side and the plastic cover comes up and off.

The Hanson fit is perfect. After the two lower bolt tabs were opened up a bit the bumper slides over the end of the chassis rails and is held in place by two 3/4" bolts through the top and a single on the bttom on each side for a total of six 3/4" bolts holding it to the chassis rails. The bolts and washers are also included. The included bolts by the way, are grade 5 and will probably be switched out for grade 8 when the winch goes on next week.
The four bumper mounting bolts on the top are actually under the top plate of the bumper and require some manuvering with a wrench to get to. The foward bolt on each side is tucked way inside and the top deck prevents using a large 1/2" drive ratchet to crank down on it. I found a ratcheting box wrench to work quite well for these foward bolts. With a box wrench and some pulling you can snug down the foward top bolts with plenty of torque. The rear top bolts can be cranked down with a 3/8" drive ratchet and a shallow socket. The bottom bolts have no obstructions and any ratchet/wrench can be used.

The after Jeep, also note the black painted headlight rings

Next weekend the Warn M8000 goes on. The Hanson bumper requires you mount the winch before the bumper goes on the Jeep due to the front winch bolts being right above and behind the front cross member. This adds a bit of security for the winch as its almost impossible to get at two of the winch bolts with any good size wrench.

More pics to follow after the Warn is installed.

I was a little skeptic of a $650+ bumper really being worth it, but I have to say I have no regrets about paying that much for this bumper.

Unread 08-06-2007, 10:20 AM   #2
Dr. Marneaus
Station Wagoneer

1973 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYresq
I bought a new Hanson 60" Prerunner model front bumper and finally got around to installing it this weekend. It didn't come with any instructions so to help the next person that wants to buy one or install one, i hope this helps.

I decided on the 60" because I wanted the protection for my fenders in the daily driving enviorment on Long Island with all the "special people" we have driving here.

The bumper arrived well packed in a heavy cardboard box with sprayed in foam padding all around it. The Hanson Bumper is a heavy well made unit, the shipping label on the box stated 87lbs and the box and padding was about 15lbs at most. All the welds are clean and straight, and the break forms in the steel are perfect. The bars are perfectly rounded and the attachment points for the D-rings are through and welded all the way around on both sides. I was very impressed with the quality of the metal work, and the paint finish on this bumper. But I guess you can say for $650+ it better be top quality.
Despite the padding, the two mounting tabs on the bottom of the bumper were bent upwards and required a bit of adjustment with a prybar to open them up to slide over the chassis rails.

The before Jeep with a push bar on the stock bumper

The old bumper comes off after removing the four T-55 torx bolts on the top and a couple more underneath. The bumper slides off leaving the chassis rail ends and the cross member between them. the next step is to remove the cover over the sway bar. This is two bolts on each side and the plastic cover comes up and off.

The Hanson fit is perfect. After the two lower bolt tabs were opened up a bit the bumper slides over the end of the chassis rails and is held in place by two 3/4" bolts through the top and a single on the bttom on each side for a total of six 3/4" bolts holding it to the chassis rails. The bolts and washers are also included. The included bolts by the way, are grade 5 and will probably be switched out for grade 8 when the winch goes on next week.
The four bumper mounting bolts on the top are actually under the top plate of the bumper and require some manuvering with a wrench to get to. The foward bolt on each side is tucked way inside and the top deck prevents using a large 1/2" drive ratchet to crank down on it. I found a ratcheting box wrench to work quite well for these foward bolts. With a box wrench and some pulling you can snug down the foward top bolts with plenty of torque. The rear top bolts can be cranked down with a 3/8" drive ratchet and a shallow socket. The bottom bolts have no obstructions and any ratchet/wrench can be used.

The after Jeep, also note the black painted headlight rings

Next weekend the Warn M8000 goes on. The Hanson bumper requires you mount the winch before the bumper goes on the Jeep due to the front winch bolts being right above and behind the front cross member. This adds a bit of security for the winch as its almost impossible to get at two of the winch bolts with any good size wrench.

More pics to follow after the Warn is installed.

I was a little skeptic of a $650+ bumper really being worth it, but I have to say I have no regrets about paying that much for this bumper.
clicky freeeee.

thats a beautiful bumper, glad you like it. maybe next jeep i'll get one of them.

looks kinda like my nates, only nicer

If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words, cars make people drive drunk, and spoons made Rosie O' Donnell fat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelc View Post
Having a Full Size Jeep is likehaving a hot wife. When you take her out in public it turns heads, they can insight jealousy, you could look at them all day, they require a lot of attention, cost a lot to get them to do what you want them to do, but when they're not happy you'll be cussing, throwing things, and constantly weighing how much you'll lose if you divorce her.

The Beast Build Thread: Marns '73 Wagoneer Thread ----- The Camper Build Thread: Marns 1980 Jayco JayFinch6 Build Thread

Gone but not Forgotten: 97 TJs Build Up.

Dr. Marneaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good, although a front bumper protects more from your special driving than others. That being said I designed mine to be full width as well, but for my driving its for deer ramming. Nice looking bumper.

What size is the tube? 1.75 and 1.5 or are they the same?
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

does look good, any spot light mounts?

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
mlb2003
2004 TJ Wrangler 

looks good. ive been lookin at the bumper for a week or so now. i think you just made up my mind for me lol. where did you get the winch plate from? i have the 9.5ti and i need a plate.
mlb2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

The winch mounts directly to the bumper. The bracket you see is the fairlead mount from hansen.
Unread 08-06-2007, 01:32 PM   #7
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Looks nice... I love my 60" with the Std Winch Bar... Looks like they have updated the big white logo since I got mine, and my Rear Hanson didn't have the logo imprint at all.

BTW, mlb2003, the Mount comes with the Bumper, or at least did when I bought mine... Mine came unpainted/uncoated steel, so I just hit it with some flat black rattle can... have yet to reinstall it since I don't yet have a winch, although on my short list of stuff to get.

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2007, 02:43 PM   #8
Zoom By You
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Looks good....
2001 TJ Sport Amber Fire, Dual Tops/Dual Doors, 4.0, Banks Ram-Air, Banks S.S. Monster exhaust, five speed, NV3550, A.A. SYE/Tom Woods, 4:56 D30/D35, Detroit Truetrac at both ends, Solid diff covers, 4.5 R.E. Super Flex W/3.5 springs, adjustable upper and lower control arms, adjustable front and rear R.E. track bars, TeraFlex shock relocation brackets, R.E. Mono tube shocks, R.E. front stabilizer, R.E. 3/4" front spacer, 33 X 12.5 TrXus STS, M/T Classic-locks, ShrockWorks Rock Rails, Hanson 52" front bumper, EPi9.0 Superwinch with wireless control, Olympic rear bumper, Olympic Mountaineer rack, Bushwacker 6" Pocket Flares, Optima yellow top, IPF headlights W/ Fatboys, upgraded relay/wiring harness, KC Slims, Bosch rear lights, Garmin c550 GPS, Garmin 76S GPS, Cobra CB 148GTL W/Astatic Mic, Pioneer Sound, 3A Racing fire extinguishers. Manhattan Rated....
Zoom By You is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 03:31 PM   #9
NYresq

The winch will mount directly to the bumper, what you see in the pics is the fairlead mount.
There are no tabs for any light heads , but a couple holes drilled throught the deck will allow me to put on the fog lights.
the tubes are two sizes with the side tubes being slightly smaller. I haven't measured them yet but I would guess the large hoop is either 1.75 or 2". I will measure them when the winch goes on this weekend.
I may also see what it looks like with the sway bar cover in place.
pictures to follow this weekend!
Unread 08-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #10
SuperWade2
More Money than Brains

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYresq
I may also see what it looks like with the sway bar cover in place.
pictures to follow this weekend!
FWIW, I left my Plastic Sway Bar Cover on with my Hanson, cept I don't have a Winch to hide it yet...

I don't have any good pics that show it... here is a 2 year old pic when I first installed it...

SW2
2014 WK2 Overland 5.7L
SuperWade2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2007, 05:18 PM   #11
nycaubrun
2006 TJ Wrangler 

i love my hanson bumper, have had 2 years now and the powder coating is still top notch. this thing is a beast also. i slamed into the back of a nissan going 20. put a 2ft hole in their rear end and didnt phase the bumper. no scratches or any thing. i saw pics of a jeep rear ending a full size chevy and buckled its backend.
nycaubrun is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.