Handling in the wet - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Handling in the wet

Jeep speedometer gears at rockridge4wdRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 10-10-2002, 01:30 PM   #1
Mike17112

Handling in the wet

1 inch BFG AT's.

Last edited by Mike17112; 08-09-2003 at 12:10 PM..
Mike17112 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:46 PM   #2
Red97Sport

is for me, i slid out a cuple weeks ago, and today i didnt spin out, but i cud feel the tires not getting alotta traction
3.5" Rubicon Express Lift
Red97Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:48 PM   #3
moose

trac-lock?

Do you have the TL rear? That can be a real PITA on wet roads:)

jm
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:48 PM   #4
Black 2001 TJ

Yes it is for a few reasons... You have rear wheel drive (when 4wd isn't in use) and when there is no one in the back, there is very little weight in the back (most up front), so since you have some sweet a** torque on that puppy, you will fish tale around turns if you are taking turns as fast as you do when it is dry. Also remember that since it hasn't rained in a good bit, the roads will probably be slicker than normal... You just have to get used to it, then it will be fun!

Mods: Rubicon Express 3.5" Superflex, Adj. Front Trackbar, [URL=http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=786]Rusty's Steering upgrade[/URL], OME LTs, steering skid, JKS discos, and probably more :)

On order (thanks Uncle Sam): Jeeperman Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier, Upper Adj. CAs (front/rear), rear Adj. Track Bar, Oil pan skid, new steering skid, BPEs

[URL=http://jeephorizons.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=645]My Jeep Pics[/URL]

http://jeephorizons.com
Black 2001 TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 01:50 PM   #5
lavoo
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've heard this a few times with AT's, mostly in the winter weather though, all I can say is just be catious on the ol' turns.
[COLOR=navy][COLOR=navy]98 TJ , 4" sl & 1" bl, 33" BFG MT's, FourXDoctor rockers ,Poison Spyder Trail Stinger bumper & corner guards, Custom air tank rear bumper,Banks Header, Raingler nets, Warn 9000 ,... plus many extras..[/COLOR][/COLOR]
lavoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 02:39 PM   #6
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"at a resonable speed"
Hate to point out the obvious, but if it was a reasonable speed you wouldn't have spun out. Gotta go slow. Light rear + lots of torque = easy to lose traction. Keep the rubber side down!
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 02:42 PM   #7
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hate to be the one to point out the obvious, but if you fishtail you aren't going a "reaonable speed". Light weight + high torque = easy loss of traction. Keep the rubber side down.
Unread 10-10-2002, 04:15 PM   #8
scartozi

It could be the BFG AT's. I use to have them on my jeep and my brother had them on his. We both noticed that they weren't the best tires on wet roads. Of course my foot is kinda heavy so that might have something to do with it.
BLACK JEEP MEMBER#6

98 Black TJ 4.0, 2in body lift, 33x12.50's, Hella lights, K&N Filter....and lots more.
93 Jeep Cherokee. 3.5" Sus. Lift, 5 speed,Borla, oh yeah....tow hooks.
http://community.webshots.com/album/45643911aInSof
scartozi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 06:34 PM   #9
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Age has nothing to do with it. If the back end didn't follow the front end (spun, slid, broke lose) then you were going too fast for the conditions. Could be the tires, could be the road, could be the speed. My point was that everyone needs to be careful in the wet or snow. There are many accident reports filed that start with "I wasn't going too fast but..."
Unread 10-10-2002, 07:01 PM   #10
weslaine
1997 TJ Wrangler 

happens to me all the time. As everyone mentioned, its all about weight and rear wheel drive(when you're not in 4wd).

But its also about the short wheel base. You must drive in anticipation of the back end "going out" from time to time. Prepare for it, slow down.

My Wrangler has always slid out the back end on wet roads, even "hops" on dry bumpy roads if your speed is too much or you oversteer.

Drive safe.
Unread 10-10-2002, 08:18 PM   #11
weslaine
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry Mike, didn't mean to make it sound like I was giving you a driving lesson.

You asked if this is normal behavior for a jeep to "break lose". My answer is "yes".
Unread 10-10-2002, 08:54 PM   #12
Mark K

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike17112
I ask a simple question and I get lectures on how to drive. I won't bother in the future.
Wasn't always that way 'round here... but seems to be happening more and more.

Mark K

Member of: [URL=http://www.azvjc.org/]Arizona Virtual Jeep Club[/URL]
Mark K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 09:38 PM   #13
jrtj2001

Quote:
But its also about the short wheel base.
We have a winner!! SWB vehicles are not inherently good handling. Coupled with a light vehicle with a fairly powerful engine wet weather traction is pretty poor.

Jason.
Skyjacker Steering Box Skid
Bulletproof Rocker Guards
Home-made Disco's
jrtj2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-10-2002, 10:10 PM   #14
tophillrod

I would have to concur w/ the SWB being the culprate here - not any sort of bad driving... I have been used to driving Toyota 4x4's before my YJ and I have to say what I used to take at a "slower paced" corner in the truck cause my Jeep to turn sideways. I have learned sinve then but it took a few corners to sink in. Not everyone was born driving a Jeep.
Warn tire rack
Dana44 rear w/ Track lock
4:10 gears
135k and running strong...
tophillrod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-11-2002, 09:28 AM   #15
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Mike17112, I wasn't trying to be rude or give you driving lessons. You asked if it was normal for the backend to breaklose and my answer was "yes' if you are driving too fast. That wasn't meant as a smart remark or any indication of your driving. Everything people have said here including those "helpful answers" that assured you that they have the same problem (they are also going too fast) are simply the factors that make "too fast" occur at a really low speed. I also have the felt the backend get loose on wet pavement and spun around playing in snow in a parking lot. Why, I was going to fast for the conditions . Haven't yet seen a Jeep slide out or get loose while parked. (although I did see a camaro slid across an ice covered parking lot once with no driver inside, that was weird). Don't get frustrated if all the answers here are not ones you like. Happens all the. Take everything with a grain of salt and use it how you will. Again, Sorry.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.