Hand Throttle Install Details - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hand Throttle Install Details

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 06-02-2011, 07:46 AM   #1
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hand Throttle Install Details

There are a number of hand throttle install threads out there, so I'm not going to go into the full step-by-step detail. I did come up with a couple small tricks that I thought might be helpful to someone.

I used Shimano Deore thumb shifter. It's got a little bigger barrel then the last one I had so the throttle control is a bit better. I also like the left side shift better, it connects in the perfect spot for my index finger to control the lever.

The deore lever has a thumb screw so I can tighten it and hold a desired RPM or loosen it so it snaps right back to idle when released. The only time I tighten it is when I am winching from outside the jeep.

I conected the cable to the throttle body bracket in the location that cruise control would have been if I had it. I used a barrel adjuster with two fender washers to sandwich the bracket. You can find the barrel adjuster at any bike shop, it can be found on most bike brake cables and shift cables.

I just used an electrical crimp on piece to connect the cable as seen here. The trick is the little clip that retains the connector and keeps it from popping off.

This is a huge improvemnet over the last hand throttle I had set up. It's much easier for me to manipulate on the left side of the stick shift and I like the slower ramp-up of throttle that the larger deore barrel provides. I hope that helps someone out.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #2
Burleson
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Very nice. I like that location as well.
Burleson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #3
RockyMnt1

Where can I attached the cable if I have cruise control?
RockyMnt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2012, 09:58 AM   #4
Staggito
2003 TJ Wrangler 

thank you for the post, i think im going to follow your example and put one on my jeep. noticed any pros / cons yet?
Unread 07-11-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staggito View Post
thank you for the post, i think im going to follow your example and put one on my jeep. noticed any pros / cons yet?
It works well and has been on for a little over a year. I love it on long rocky trails where my foot would usually get tired. I also find it much easier to use when I need clutch, brake and gas at the same time...

No cons that I can think of, other than my wife driving the jeep and not knowing what it was for...

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.