Hand Throttle Install - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hand Throttle Install

Long Arm kits for all JK models from Clayton Off RoadFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 04-12-2005, 09:59 AM   #1
FlyersFan2009

Hand Throttle Install

I know I could have gone the bike shop home made route, however I went with the RE kit and am going to use the write up from WayofLife's site.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/handthrottle.html

My question is regarding the throttle return spring metioned in the write up. Why is the new one needed? I called RE and they said that all the parts I need come with the kit.

Anyone know?

By the way, RE is backed up on order right now and I was irrated to find out that I ordered 2 of these kits on the 6th and they haven't even shipped yet, that was nearly 7 days ago. I guess they will be shipped today.

FlyersFan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
KRAMONUT

The return spring pulls closed the throttle when you let go of the hand lever.

Same way when you take your foot off the gas pedal & decelerate, the stock return spring returns & closes the throttle body.
KRAMONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:10 AM   #3
FlyersFan2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMONUT
The return spring pulls closed the throttle when you let go of the hand lever.

Same way when you take your foot off the gas pedal & decelerate, the stock return spring returns & closes the throttle body.

Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't clear enough with my post.

I know what the return spring does, but the write up suggests buying another one. I'm curious to know if the author is suggesting replacing the original spring or using a second spring.

Thanks again,

Jon
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:12 AM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

The second spring is purchased so you can get the snap-on plastic piece to hold the cable to the throttle lever attach point. You buy the spring, and then cut the spring off and throw it away, keeping the plastic snap-on piece to use to make attaching the cable to the throttle attach point literally a 'snap'. You thread the hand throttle's cable through the plastic piece and use a crimp to secure it. I did mine this way and it works really well

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:16 AM   #5
KRAMONUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kopczyk
Thanks for the reply. I guess I wasn't clear enough with my post.

I know what the return spring does, but the write up suggests buying another one. I'm curious to know if the author is suggesting replacing the original spring or using a second spring.

Thanks again,

Jon

ohhhhh...I'm sorry, read thru your post a little too quick.

Exactly what Jerry said, you just want that fancy little connector off the new spring.
KRAMONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:19 AM   #6
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You could fab one up, but buying the spring is the easier way to go. I did the home made route and bought that part from the local Jeep dealership. Works like a champ.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
FlyersFan2009

Gotcha,

Thanks everyone.

It's a 384 Mile trip from SE Michigan to Attica, IN (The Badlands) and I don't have cruise, so this will help out a lot.

I've got a trailer but no available vehicle to pull it with, and I'm not looking forward to making this trip with my gears.

Jon
Unread 04-12-2005, 12:23 PM   #8
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

since I have cruise, and didn't want to have to swap between the hand throttle and cruise (since they use the same "knob" on the throttle body bracket), I opted for a different install...

I used a ring terminal and crimped it on...it's worked great for over a year...

I also didn't fool with all the bracketry they send, like wayoflife shows on his write-up...

I simply drilled a small hole in the bracket, and used the thumb screw and nut...

here are a few pics...yes, I'm aware they're blurry, but it's all I had save at the moment and I'm out of town without my Jeep...

popped the cruise clip off, slid on the ring terminal, and then popped the cruise clip back on, which holds the hand throttle cable in place...

less than 10 minutes for install job...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 01:38 PM   #9
FlyersFan2009

I can't wait to get this thing in the mail and installed.

I'm surprised that I don't hear about more people with them since it's such a cheap and good mod.

After wheeling on some decent size hills I could see where one would come in handy so I could keep my foot closer to the brake pedal and use my hand for the throttle.

Thanks again all.

Knowing me my install won't be 10 minutes.

Jon
Unread 04-12-2005, 02:01 PM   #10
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

My biggest problem was getting the shift knob off w/o messing up the gear shift pattern cover. Everything else was easy. I think mine took about 45 minutes or so, but I also took my time and double checked everything I did.
Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2005, 04:38 PM   #11
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with Greg.....an inexpensive terminal lug has been in use on mine for years with no problems.

Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.