Hand throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hand throttle

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 01-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
Bobtail Bob
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Hand throttle

I have a 97 tj Sport 4.0 auto and was wondering if the install of a hand trottle would be worthwhile. I really don't have a probelm with the two pedals while 4 wheeling. I thought it might come in handy to bump up the revs while I was stationary pulling stumps and such with my Warn 9000lb winch. Are they made for autos and would bumping up the revs under those conditions really help the battery, cooling etc? Thanks in advance.

Bob H

Bobtail Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:43 PM   #2
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I think it helps to have your RPMs a little higher if you are winching for a long time. Another big benifit is when your on bumpy terrain in 4lo you don't get lurching by hitting the gas to hard, if autos also have that problem.

I just ordered this.

11.50 after shipping and handling and it comes with a cable. Prevously I went to a local bike shop cause they had some used ones when I called, went to check out and they wanted $12 for one right....
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike shop guy
those things are like gold, they don't make them anymore.
Bumping up your revs wont help with cooling though.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:45 PM   #3
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Yes, worthwhile.

My favorite use of handthrottle: very bumpy trails, the throttle keeps my foot from bouncing around, and messing up modulation.

Second favorite: getting started on hills (you don't care)

Third favorite: winching.

Darn! scotch740 beat me to the same advice!
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 07:52 PM   #4
Bobtail Bob
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Good info. Does it make any difference if I have an auto or manual trans for the install. I suspect these all attach to the TB?
Bobtail Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 08:04 PM   #5
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

No difference. Here's my writeup:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...38#post1718538
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 09:45 PM   #6
SilverJ
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I like mine when i am letting it warm up in the morning too!!!!
SilverJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #7
or8008
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I have a gear shifter for sale if you are interested.

It is the type you can tighten down so you have the ability to remain at a certain rpm.

Here are pics:

This is how you could mount it on your shifter. Pulling the shifter upwards (as shown) pulls on the cable which opens the throttle.

Let me know if you are interested.
Unread 01-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #8
fish4life
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotch740
I think it helps to have your RPMs a little higher if you are winching for a long time. Another big benifit is when your on bumpy terrain in 4lo you don't get lurching by hitting the gas to hard, if autos also have that problem.

I just ordered this.

11.50 after shipping and handling and it comes with a cable. Prevously I went to a local bike shop cause they had some used ones when I called, went to check out and they wanted $12 for one right....

Bumping up your revs wont help with cooling though.
Where did you buy it? I visited like 4 local bike shops and none had the shifter.
fish4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #9
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish4life
Where did you buy it? I visited like 4 local bike shops and none had the shifter.
My local shops were not helpful other than prompting me to buy a new one on line.

Here is where I ordered it from.
http://elitecycling.biz/page.cfm?Pag...ils&sku=LD1243

I am hoping I will be able to adjust the amount of friction with this shifter or "fix it" so I can. The whole saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.... does not apply to me.

I think that is the same shifter Stu used. Or at least they look simular.

Heres his write up
http://www.stu-offroad.com/engine/th...p_throttle.htm
Unread 01-11-2008, 09:53 AM   #10
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by or8008
I have a gear shifter for sale if you are interested.

It is the type you can tighten down so you have the ability to remain at a certain rpm.

Here are pics:

This is how you could mount it on your shifter. Pulling the shifter upwards (as shown) pulls on the cable which opens the throttle.

Let me know if you are interested.
I can't see these pics at work but this is a good way to have it set up. Reason being that if it gets really bumpy and you push down unintentionally you will be throttling back instead of flooring it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.