Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hand Throttle

6K views 45 replies 28 participants last post by  Scott_98TJ 
#1 ·
I'm looking for one for my manual.
What do you think guys, which one is better : Rubicon Express or 33 Engineering?
33 Engineering claims their throttle has "......a little extra something in for Jeep 4.0 Liter owners that don't have cruise control to make this a super simple install"
Does anybody know what they are talking about? Does RE one has that "little extra something"?
33 Engineering is also $3 cheaper:rofl:

#2 ·
I have the 33 Engineering awaiting install. If you look on their review section of the product, people on their site like it better than the RE one. Also if you make a review of one of their products, next time they will give you 5 or so percent off. Just a thought.

#4 ·
im not sure of the difference between the homemade versions,
33 eng. and RE.

FWIW i have the RE one, simple design and does what i need
it to do. primary used as my cruise control on the interstate and
to hold the rpm's when using the winch.

DISCLAIMER!! a.k.a. CYA:
i dont recommend that it be used as cruise control, its just something
i do and im smart enough to know it DOES NOT disengage
when you press on the brake as factory installed cruise does

#5 ·
Any benefit for doing this if you have an auto? I thought maybe with a winch or OBA it would work to keep the RPMs up.

#9 ·
Take a look at the whole concept, a hand throttle is a dream when crawling or moving along at low speeds. Helps keep the surging down anyway. At high speeds it's more of a hazard than a benefit, so I would not use it personally. Especially, with a auto !
hvac59

#11 ·
2fastlx said:
i understand that the hand throttle helps with a clutch, but can you guys tell me how much of a difference does it really make?
makes a huge difference when winching. To say the RE express directions are lacking, would be an understatement

#12 ·
imagine you are on a hill, up against an obstacle and the clutch is in, brake is pressed. now you need start rolling again, without losing traction. without a hand throttle you have to jump on the gas when you pull off the brake. the jeep rolls back a bit, and as you engage the clutch the wheels spin. you can't get over the obstacle. now imagine you are holding your jeep in place with the brakes, and can slowly engage the clutch as you work the gas with your hand throttle. you can ease the jeep up and over the obstacle without the harsh jolt causing wheelspin. bottom line: it makes a HUGE difference in the rocks. also helps when in the mud or water, because a sudden jolt by unseen dips won't cause you to accidently jab the gas pedal, and it also allows you to increase the alternator output when winching or airing up. best $ i ever spent on my jeep.

#13 ·
JeepRocks86 said:
I have the 33 Engineering awaiting install. If you look on their review section of the product, people on their site like it better than the RE one. Also if you make a review of one of their products, next time they will give you 5 or so percent off. Just a thought.
Gee, kinda like buying positive feedback for your products you mean? I have the 33Eng belly up skid, and I love it, and Mikes a good guy, however what you point out here has nothing to do with the use of the product.:rofl: It's a hand throttle, there isn't much of anything to it, glad to see the marketing works though.

Regardless of which one you get, it's about the best low-buck mod going IMHO.

#16 ·
jeepitup said:
Do they both (RE & 33 Engin.) have the "feature" that allows you to set/lock the RPM's while winching?
i woudn't think there's a "special feature"... if the jeep is stationary (not in gear) and the throttle is depressed a constant amount, the engine is going to maintain a constant speed.

#17 ·
subaruboy said:
i woudn't think there's a "special feature"... if the jeep is stationary (not in gear) and the throttle is depressed a constant amount, the engine is going to maintain a constant speed.
Good conclusion. :rofl: For winching and OBA use this little "feature" is in fact quite real and very handy. It's hard to fill tires while sitting in the driver seat with your foot on the throttle...

#19 ·
#20 ·
Scott_98TJ said:
Good conclusion. :rofl: For winching and OBA use this little "feature" is in fact quite real and very handy. It's hard to fill tires while sitting in the driver seat with your foot on the throttle...
i think you misunderstood me, i met setting the hand throttle to a certain amount and leaving it... where is a special feature involved? if it indeed works like a bike shifter like everyone says, then it's going to hold its position once it's set, i don't see why a "special feature" would be required

#21 ·
Just go to a bike shop and build your own. I didn't like the look of the cheap thumbshifters they use now so bought some old school Deore XT shifters off ebay and some cable. Very easy and useful mod ....

#22 ·
With the cable.... what was the approx. length? Does the cable come equipped with what is needed to attach it to the bike shifter? Or is that pretty easy to fab?
Did you use the same parts as Stu on the other end, like the piece that holds the cable (he used the rear brake assembly)?

CNY... The Shimano looks much better then the others:)

#23 ·
i ended up getting the 33 engineering version, but the cable wasn't long enough. i ended up purchasing a tandem bike cable at the local bike shop. if you are going to fab your own, purchase the longest cable you can get (only like $7 or so) just to make sure, if you route the cable well (no tight bends) it takes a bit of length.

#24 ·
For the cable, I used the longest cable out of the $5 four-pack that you get at Wal-mart (rear deraileur). The cable has an end that fits into the shifter.

If you have none of the parts already lying around, I'd go to the oldest bike shop in the area, and show them Stu's pics. They're bound to have the parts you need lying around.

To hold the cable housing, I used a front brake sleeve (because I had it lying around), but Stu's set-up looks better.

Stu's:

#25 ·
I just installed my RE hand throttle last night as a matter of fact. I used stu's right up and some other online writeups a lot more than the RE directions. To dern vague for me. I also have cruise which caused me a brain hiccup so I wanted some other assurances I was doing it right. In all my research (about an hour or so) I think the little something extra that 33 Eng may have over the RE is the cruise control cable clip (black plastic tear drop pictured) that keep the hand throttle cable on instead of the RE washer and pin. Having cruise I did not need anything other than the cable, housing adjustment screw and the lever itself.

I bought the RE hand throttle cause I was lazy and did not want to have to track the parts down. But even at $30 I anticipate it being a great investment for me. (Thanks Jason at RedRock4x4)

[OFF TOPIC] I mounted the lever on the left side of the stick instead of the right so I could control it with my index finger and thumb easily. Anyone know why almost all I have seen are on the right instead of the left? Is is just to have the lever going forward engage the throttle instead of backwards like I have it?[/OFF TOPIC]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.