Hand Throttle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Hand Throttle

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-21-2006, 03:18 PM   #1
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Hand Throttle

I'm looking for one for my manual.
What do you think guys, which one is better : Rubicon Express or 33 Engineering?
33 Engineering claims their throttle has "......a little extra something in for Jeep 4.0 Liter owners that don't have cruise control to make this a super simple install"
Does anybody know what they are talking about? Does RE one has that "little extra something"?
33 Engineering is also $3 cheaper

zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 03:35 PM   #2
JeepRocks86
Some Call me RockDog

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have the 33 Engineering awaiting install. If you look on their review section of the product, people on their site like it better than the RE one. Also if you make a review of one of their products, next time they will give you 5 or so percent off. Just a thought.
My TJ Build Thread.
www.kifourwheelers.com
For Sale:
TJ Rear Dana 44 shaftsfor sale
3 11"& 2 13" BBCS shocks

JeepRocks86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 03:37 PM   #3
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have the RE one. It's fine, works for me anyways. There really isn't much to it though.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 03:42 PM   #4
JJs99TJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

im not sure of the difference between the homemade versions,
33 eng. and RE.

FWIW i have the RE one, simple design and does what i need
it to do. primary used as my cruise control on the interstate and
to hold the rpm's when using the winch.

DISCLAIMER!! a.k.a. CYA:
i dont recommend that it be used as cruise control, its just something
i do and im smart enough to know it DOES NOT disengage
when you press on the brake as factory installed cruise does
JJs99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #5
Hunter9
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Any benefit for doing this if you have an auto? I thought maybe with a winch or OBA it would work to keep the RPMs up.
RE 3.5 SF, 1" BL, 1" MML, 285/75/16 (33") MTRs, 16x8 MT Classic Locks, 4.10 gears, Lockrite Front, Warn Front and Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, Warn Diff Skids, Rock-it Man Rockers, Jeeperman Front Hoop, M8000, A to Z winch mount, Hella 500s, H4 Conversion

[COLOR="Red"]Former 3.07 Gears Club Member #1[/CENTER][/COLOR]
Hunter9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
TJ on the Rocks

I wanna check out the 33 engineering one , any one have a link ?
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #7
frankiefire702
2006 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.offroadtoystore.com/Merch...ory_Code=33eng
Unread 03-21-2006, 04:21 PM   #8
TJ on the Rocks

So it's still a bike shifter but it looks like the only difference is better instructions than the RE , that makes it better ?
[SIZE="4"][/URL][/B][COLOR="Red"][/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE="3"][URL="http://www.stickylee.com/catalog/index.php"]www.stickylee.com[/URL][/COLOR][/SIZE][/B][/CENTER][/SIZE]
TJ on the Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 06:20 PM   #9
hvac59

Take a look at the whole concept, a hand throttle is a dream when crawling or moving along at low speeds. Helps keep the surging down anyway. At high speeds it's more of a hazard than a benefit, so I would not use it personally. Especially, with a auto !
hvac59
White 09 JK "X"
hvac59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 06:30 PM   #10
2fastlx

i understand that the hand throttle helps with a clutch, but can you guys tell me how much of a difference does it really make?
[CENTER][COLOR="Green"]Colorado Jeep Club Member #44[/COLOR][/CENTER]

[QUOTE]I couldn't really understand what you were saying or asking, but I think you need a bigger hammer.[/QUOTE]
2fastlx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Flatbroke
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fastlx
i understand that the hand throttle helps with a clutch, but can you guys tell me how much of a difference does it really make?

makes a huge difference when winching. To say the RE express directions are lacking, would be an understatement

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRussoX
Haha

I actually look at a Jeepers nuts to see how informed they are. Ditch your nuts man!

Russo
Flatbroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 07:00 PM   #12
base shakers
2005 LJ Wrangler 

imagine you are on a hill, up against an obstacle and the clutch is in, brake is pressed. now you need start rolling again, without losing traction. without a hand throttle you have to jump on the gas when you pull off the brake. the jeep rolls back a bit, and as you engage the clutch the wheels spin. you can't get over the obstacle. now imagine you are holding your jeep in place with the brakes, and can slowly engage the clutch as you work the gas with your hand throttle. you can ease the jeep up and over the obstacle without the harsh jolt causing wheelspin. bottom line: it makes a HUGE difference in the rocks. also helps when in the mud or water, because a sudden jolt by unseen dips won't cause you to accidently jab the gas pedal, and it also allows you to increase the alternator output when winching or airing up. best $ i ever spent on my jeep.
Unread 03-21-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepRocks86
I have the 33 Engineering awaiting install. If you look on their review section of the product, people on their site like it better than the RE one. Also if you make a review of one of their products, next time they will give you 5 or so percent off. Just a thought.
Gee, kinda like buying positive feedback for your products you mean? I have the 33Eng belly up skid, and I love it, and Mikes a good guy, however what you point out here has nothing to do with the use of the product. It's a hand throttle, there isn't much of anything to it, glad to see the marketing works though.

Regardless of which one you get, it's about the best low-buck mod going IMHO.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2006, 10:13 PM   #14
Dozer.
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Do they both (RE & 33 Engin.) have the "feature" that allows you to set/lock the RPM's while winching?
Unread 03-21-2006, 10:18 PM   #15
Scott_98TJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

The "feature" that you refer to is a set screw on the side of the shift lever. My RE has that feature yes.

Kentucky Krawlers
Scott_98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.