Half Hard Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Half Hard Top

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippHuge Soft top SaleUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 12-01-2004, 12:45 AM   #1
Black&Tan_TJ

Half Hard Top

Does anyone know if there is a Half Cab Hard Top available for TJ's? The only one I've ever seen is for the TJL http://trucktrend.com/roadtests/ulti...om/index2.html
Scroll down on the linked page.

But I have no idea how to get my hands on one since they are military vehicles.

Thanks
Jason

Black&Tan_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 12:48 AM   #2
abstractjeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black&Tan_TJ
But I have no idea how to get my hands on one since they are military vehicles.
well, what you gotta do is make friends with some military people....get them to bring it out one night, get them sloshed, and run off with it while they are puking in the bathroom!

other than that, i don't know...i've actually kinda looked for one myself, as i like my half top, but would like the benefit of a hard top during the winter and rainy seasons.
abstractjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2004, 01:08 AM   #3
Black&Tan_TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by abstractjeep
i've actually kinda looked for one myself, as i like my half top, but would like the benefit of a hard top during the winter and rainy seasons.
Yeah, I like my half top too. There not for everyone, but I guess it depends on how you use the Jeep. They're great for putting smelly things like chain saws, and gas cans in the back so you don't have to smell the fumes.

I'm actually in the process of building a bulkhead to go at the front of the bed, to keep stuff from sliding into the bottom of the top and into the passanger compartment. If that turns out good I may try to build a top myself. I'm pretty good with fiberglass. but I don't know if I'm that good. I would rather find one that I could just buy.
Unread 12-02-2004, 09:54 AM   #4
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yeah, I like my half top too. There not for everyone, but I guess it depends on how you use the Jeep. They're great for putting smelly things like chain saws, and gas cans in the back so you don't have to smell the fumes.

I'm actually in the process of building a bulkhead to go at the front of the bed, to keep stuff from sliding into the bottom of the top and into the passanger compartment. If that turns out good I may try to build a top myself. I'm pretty good with fiberglass. but I don't know if I'm that good. I would rather find one that I could just buy.
Does AEV sell one, like they use for the Brute conversion?

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
nemesistic

Quote:

If you are good with 'glass, you will recognize the top as being constructed from SMC (sheet molded compound) and as such will require the special polyester resin or epoxy to work.

The reason I mention this is that it would be viable to purchase a damaged hardtop for a few pennies on the dollar and split it at the right spot, eliminate the side windows and rejoin the two halves into a half top.

The only issue becomes fitting to top of your bulkhead to bottom of the curved areas on the top and working out that transition.

The biggest issue become reinforcing the main hoop to eliminate the rear bracing. Can be done, but high levels of creativity are involved.
nemesistic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
Black&Tan_TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesistic
If you are good with 'glass, you will recognize the top as being constructed from SMC (sheet molded compound) and as such will require the special polyester resin or epoxy to work.

The reason I mention this is that it would be viable to purchase a damaged hardtop for a few pennies on the dollar and split it at the right spot, eliminate the side windows and rejoin the two halves into a half top.

The only issue becomes fitting to top of your bulkhead to bottom of the curved areas on the top and working out that transition.

The biggest issue become reinforcing the main hoop to eliminate the rear bracing. Can be done, but high levels of creativity are involved.
This is the route I had concidered If I had to build my own. Using the reminates of a full top eliminates many of the problem areas, such as the windshield and door frame attachments. The remaining trouble spots are sealing the bulkhead to the tub, and to the cut down full top. I already have the lower portion of the bulkhead built so the tub issue is not a problem. The biggest obstical now is what to do around the rear roll bars. I either have to make a two piece back to the top, or cut the rear bars off. I don't have passangers back there so the protection is not needed, but I think that they provide extra support for the front of the cage. I could strengthen the front of the gage with some cross bars for added safty.

If I cut the rear bars off, I think that I would be able to use an AEV half top if they will sell one seperate from the Brute conversion. Going this route would require the least fab work, because I would probley only have to redo my bulkhead to match their top.

Thanks for any ideas and opinions.

Jason
Unread 12-02-2004, 11:15 AM   #7
BNovak

Find a local truck cap company and see if they can make you one. There's a guy local to me that would make me a hard top for basically what everyone else wanted. I'm guessing he could make it a halftop as well.

Cool idea - never thought about this instead of the half-soft top I was looking at.

-BN
Unread 12-02-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
gr8tops
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2006 LJ Wrangler 

half hardtops

ask and you shall receive...

gr8tops is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 11:54 AM   #9
01Sport
2002 WJ 

Donaghy, where did you get that?

Sold:
2001 TJ Sport :(
01Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 12:25 PM   #10
ncb76
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by donaghy
ask and you shall receive...

so ugly...yet so cool

'97 TJ Sport | 2" Spacer Lift | JKS Disconnects | RS 5000's | 32x11.5 ProComp MT's on MT Classic II's
ncb76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
wakeboarder 21

i think its only ugly because there are no rollbars

RE 3.5 __ 1" BL__RE front adj. trac bar__Currie Anti Rock sway bar__33 BFG M/T with some black steelies__K&N Filter__CB___ Durango 4x4 Front Bumper

building for 37s

[URL=http://orw.truckmoxie.com/mygallery.ten?id=4573]***PICS***[/URL]
wakeboarder 21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 02:59 PM   #12
Falcor
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Now that is cool.

(sold) 07 JK Rubicon Unlimited, 97 ZJ Laredo - 4.0L, 98 TJ Sahara, 78 CJ-7, 88 Grand Wagoneer
www.real4x4.iwarp.com
Falcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
Vacant Stare

Where DID you get that? Or did you build it?
Vacant Stare is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 04:39 PM   #14
kg4fku

looks like a scrambler top. possibly slightly modified. ?????
kg4fku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2004, 04:51 PM   #15
gr8tops
Vendor
JeepForum 2012 Vendor Giveaway Participate

2006 LJ Wrangler 

half hardtops

I am making them now and they are available for sale. That was the prototype/1st one we just finished up about a week ago and we are working a few small kinks out. A custom external "sport bar" setup is going in this week. I should have more pictures of the multi-function "sport bar" setup by early next week. (hi lift mount/basket rack/bike rack/tire carrier/gun rack/hunting stand etc). It does look very bare/odd without the rear rollbar. The factory interior cage is still there, we just cut the rear bars off. And we are still toying with different options on the rear "sport bars" and if/how to connect the outer sport bars to the interior cage. (yes I am trying to be legally use the officially correct legal terms for each)

The external sport cage just opens up endless options including work use for mounting small sprayer tanks, compressors, toolboxes, salt spreaders, etc..
gr8tops is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.