Half Hard Doors vs Full Hard....Key Cylinders Swappable? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Half Hard Doors vs Full Hard....Key Cylinders Swappable?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 05-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #1
Hunta
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Half Hard Doors vs Full Hard....Key Cylinders Swappable?

First off let me say that the used set of green full hard doors I just bought tonight for my Patriot Blue TJ rock. My TJ came with the half hard doors and sliding uppers and they are loud and drafty. I can actually hear the radio now without blasting it and the temperature stays pretty constant without the drafts.

I'm going to take them to the body shop tomorrow to get painted and I'm curious as to whether I can swap the key cylinders out of my half doors? I'm guessing I can but wanted to make sure before digging in.

These are the doors I'm replacing.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Hunta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #2
4U2NV
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Should be a simple swap... Remove the door panels and have a look..
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Strizzy
2004 TJ Wrangler 

You can easily swap out the cylinder. Or you can take out the ones from the full doors and have them re-keyed to match your ignition key.
Strizzy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
JWitt333
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunta View Post
First off let me say that the used set of green full hard doors I just bought tonight for my Patriot Blue TJ rock. My TJ came with the half hard doors and sliding uppers and they are loud and drafty. I can actually hear the radio now without blasting it and the temperature stays pretty constant without the drafts.
I so want full doors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strizzy View Post
You can easily swap out the cylinder. Or you can take out the ones from the full doors and have them re-keyed to match your ignition key.
i would do this. that way you only need one key.

'99 Gunmetal TJ
Blue Jeep Club Member #256
4" RC X-Series, 1in BL
Rokmen Armor
KC Day Lighters, 33 BFG M/T
with more to come
OlllllllO
JWitt333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:54 AM   #5
Hunta
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWitt333 View Post
I so want full doors.

i would do this. that way you only need one key.
Full hard doors are even nicer than I imagined. It's unreal how much noise they have cut down in the cab of my Jeep. I've got Blue Tooth built into my head unit and with the 1/2 doors people had a hard time hearing me. I made a couple of calls with the new doors on last night and it was much better. I searched Craigs List every day for 3 months until I found a nice set for a reasonable price. And I still wound up driving 85 miles for them.

I'm going to swap the cylinders.....
Hunta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
NotURMailman
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Wanna sell your half doors, or are you gone keep them for back up? PM me if you wanna sell them...

I drive on the right side, what's wrong with you?

Quote:
Be very careful with the wife mod. Uninstallation can be extremely expensive. Wife mods have been known to take the Jeep and all other mods during the uninstall process. Also, make sure you service your wife mod properly as often as humanly possible. Wife mods not properly serviced may malfunction or uninstall themselves at any time.
NotURMailman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:22 AM   #7
nathanielt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Do you have a pic of how the full hard doors look after they got painted to match? And how much did you pay to have them painted?

I bought some red doors for my green TJ and got quoted $350 to get them painted. Not sure if I want to keep them, but I'm wondering how close they can come on the paint for that price.
nathanielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:25 AM   #8
nathanielt
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Actually, I'm guessing you haven't got them painted yet. I just realized this post was from yesterday and you havent' dropped them off yet
nathanielt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:33 AM   #9
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.delancy View Post
Wanna sell your half doors, or are you gone keep them for back up? PM me if you wanna sell them...

x2. same here, and my tj is already patroit blue.
Unread 05-06-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
callen90
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I searched for full hard doors for a long time, and gave up because the prices i were finding were so unreasonable. Just letting anyone know, I ended up going with the upper half bulldawg fiber glass doors. They actually bolt into the old slot inserts, so are very sturdy and quiet, and at a reasonable price.
callen90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 02:18 PM   #11
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

How much is it going to cost to paint the full doors?
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:32 PM   #12
Rubicon_Rob04
2004 TJ Wrangler 

The lock cylinders will interchange but they will not work in a factory configuration. The half door cylinder is a little shorter than the full door one. I swapped 03 full doors onto a 97 with 1/2.

There is a wire link that goes from the cylinder down to actuate the lock in the door and the 1/2 and full are not the same length. The link will rub against the cable from your window regulator or door paddle(can't exactly remember) and will not fully engage/disengage the lock when you put a shorter cylinder in there.

Best bet is to have your full doors rekeyed.

I took some #9 drop ceiling support wire and fabricated one that works with my 1/2 door cylinder in my full door. I swapped my passenger 1/2 door lock to make my drivers full door work. I have only one lock on either set this way but I don't lock the doors often.

Last edited by Rubicon_Rob04; 05-06-2009 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: more info
Rubicon_Rob04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 05:37 PM   #13
DBLJ
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Go to your local tech school. Get some factory paint and have them paint it for the best price ever. Free. Mine are going next week.
DBLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 09:42 PM   #14
bobsled84088
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I saw this somewhere else....

Why would you lock a tent ?
bobsled84088 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2009, 09:49 PM   #15
Jeepguy1977
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBTJ View Post
Go to your local tech school. Get some factory paint and have them paint it for the best price ever. Free. Mine are going next week.

lol I've been considering going by a local tech school and even enrolling for the learning experience.
Rolled Red Jeep Club Member #7
Jeepguy1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.