Half doors, no windows, no mirrors: what's the point? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Half doors, no windows, no mirrors: what's the point?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 10-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #1
dcdude2

Half doors, no windows, no mirrors: what's the point?

I'm planning to run a safari top and half doors but keep my mirrors attached to the full doors and just run CJ style mirrors on the windshield frame. I would probably only replace the full doors every 3 years or so along with the soft top for skiing or something. I was planning on half doors with no windows. But with no mirrors, what benefit would these stripped half doors provide? Any notable wind protection? I guess they would help prevent you groceries from flying out?

Of course, there would be the cost and expense of sourcing and probably painting these doors.

Last edited by dcdude2; 10-02-2012 at 09:19 AM..
dcdude2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #2
dcope17
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Put on your full doors and leave the windows down. If you see any benefit to this setup, then leave the full doors with the windows down or do what you said above.

Life with Christ can be explained like a Jeep...
Being in the Word... grows your tire size.
Prayer... gains more ground clearance.
Fellowship... Is like having a good spotter.

The more of these you have... the easier it is to get over obstacles in your path.
.[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f194/dcope17s-thoughts-bible-please-read-only-do-not-post-1333441/#post13115090"]My Bible Thread[/URL]
dcope17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #3
coach-mike
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I run these but fabbed up my own mirrors as cops will nail u for no mirrors..
jeep-046.jpg  
Unread 10-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Cresso
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdude2 View Post
But with no mirrors, what benefit would these stripped half doors provide? Any notable wind protection? I guess they would help prevent you groceries from flying out?
Compared to full doors, they don't provide a whole lot of warmth at highway speeds. If you do a lot of high speed driving during the colder months, keep your full doors around to swap on. Compared to no doors, the only highway benefit I've noticed is that I can wear shorts without feeling like the headwind is ripping the hair out of my legs. not worth it just for that.

At slower speeds, like around town and especially on the trail, the half doors are significantly warmer than no doors at all. Crank the heat and you'll get a nice little pool of warmth around your legs. It makes a big difference.

I run no doors on the trails where I expect body damage, full doors on snowbashing runs, and half doors the rest of the time.

Quote:
Of course, there would be the cost and expense of sourcing and probably painting these doors.
The factory hard half doors are crazy expensive. I paid $250 for a pair that came with a broken sideview mirror and a busted latch (easily fixed). Depending on local availability, you might do better than that, but you might do a lot worse. I've seen folks paying upwards of $450 for a pair. After I bought mine, I took 'em to a body shop to color match them. They wanted $475 for the pair. I picked my jaw off the ground, took them home and painted them myself.

I don't like the tube doors on the market. I don't understand what they do. All of the inconvenience of solid doors without any of the desirable insulation effect. If I didn't want to spend the dough on factory hard half doors, I'd go for a set of the old CJ/YJ-style soft doors, like these. Lightweight, should take trail abuse fairly well, still blocks wind, and should be obtainable for a lot less than the hard doors. Yer pretty much stuck with the color you buy, though.
Cresso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
catmechanic
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The benefit to me is the placebo effect it provides my wife, particularly on the highway. Since our daughter loves the jeep and we regularly have nieces / nephews around and wanting to ride with the top down, it provides her with a sense of security, however false it may be.
catmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #6
Kinless
2012 JK Wrangler 

Amazingly the full half doors also keep an amazing amount of crap off your lap. Road Grime, literal crap ( cow,horse,etc ), mud.
Drive through a muddy area at normal speed one time and look at the amount of junk sprayed in an arc midway up your door. ( unless you are running real small skinny tires I suppose )
Kinless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 10:18 AM   #7
Zombi
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach-mike View Post
Nice looking rig.
That statement depends on where you are, here in MA you're legal as long as you have at least 1 mirror, windshield mounted rear-view counts.

Just stumbled across this:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/...r-laws-565361/
Zombi's are in fact very unpleasant to be around, they smell, and bite--also, they eat babies.
Zombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 11:31 AM   #8
frank_c
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach-mike View Post
Ohio only requires one rear facing mirror. Your cops must be trolling for bigger offenses.
83 Wagoneer
frank_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdude2 View Post
I'm planning to run a safari top and half doors but keep my mirrors attached to the full doors and just run CJ style mirrors on the windshield frame. I would probably only replace the full doors every 3 years or so along with the soft top for skiing or something. I was planning on half doors with no windows. But with no mirrors, what benefit would these stripped half doors provide? Any notable wind protection? I guess they would help prevent you groceries from flying out?

I have tried all the set up you mentioned above. CJ style mirrors shake to much, it is a burden to remove door and mirrors a lot. I finally just broke down and bought a mirror re-locator for my driver door and threw the passager mirror in the tool box.

But back to the half door question, I have full doors, 2 piece soft doors, and no doors (of course). I use no doors the most. I use my 2 piece doors for trail riding or any off road excursion. But most of the time, I am doorless. I kind of wish I had not bought the 2 piece doors, but live and learn.
Unread 10-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #10
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayriesw View Post
I have tried all the set up you mentioned above. CJ style mirrors shake to much, it is a burden to remove door and mirrors a lot. I finally just broke down and bought a mirror re-locator for my driver door and threw the passager mirror in the tool box.

But back to the half door question, I have full doors, 2 piece soft doors, and no doors (of course). I use no doors the most. I use my 2 piece doors for trail riding or any off road excursion. But most of the time, I am doorless. I kind of wish I had not bought the 2 piece doors, but live and learn.
Im in the other boat. I WANT to find a deal on 2 piece doors, as I prefer to use them when its raining, and store them in the back the other 200 days of the year. I cant store full doors in the back of the jeep...

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
kbeitz
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought Half doors for my 2000. I have a light bar abouve the windshield and I put split half collars on both sides over the pipe that holds up the lights.
I will hook up two motorcycle mirrors to these collars. Quiick and easy.
kbeitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #12
matthew900

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by catmechanic View Post
The benefit to me is the placebo effect it provides my wife, particularly on the highway. Since our daughter loves the jeep and we regularly have nieces / nephews around and wanting to ride with the top down, it provides her with a sense of security, however false it may be.
I second this. The only reason I have 1/2 doors is my 9 yr old isn't comfortable with no doors.
matthew900 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #13
Jeepmanjoe52
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_c

Ohio only requires one rear facing mirror. Your cops must be trolling for bigger offenses.
In TN we don't even have to have a mirror unless we're driving commercially.
Jeepmanjoe52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #14
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

This thread is almost a year old. But, I for one, really think there is a big difference between no doors and half doors (even with no windows).

Also, with stock mirrors only held in place by 3 screws, what's the big deal about moving them between doors.
Unread 08-24-2013, 07:08 AM   #15
BigAl4102
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Yep, IMHO half doors keep an amazing amount of dust and debris out of the cab. I think it has as much to do with aerodynamics, as coverage, my jeep with no doors gets way dustier and dirtier inside than with half doors even.
BigAl4102 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.