Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hack & Tap??

4K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  GPERSCREEPERS99 
#1 ·
When refering to an SYE some people say it is a hack and tap or it is not, refering to their own SYE. What does that mean? I can't find it using the search.:confused:

#4 ·
Yes you need a new longer CV driveshaft with RE's hack 'n tap SYE which is the goal of any SYE kit... to make more room so a longer driveshaft can be installed which reduces excessive u-joint angles from having installed a tall lift.

A traditional SYE kit involves splitting the transfer case open and replacing the long output shaft that has a splined shaft the OE driveshaft mounts on with a beefier but shorter output shaft that has a u-joint yoke on it.

RE's hack & tap just involves you cutting part of the output shaft off so it is is shorter, and mounting a new u-bolt yoke onto its splined portion. Also involved is drilling and tapping a hole into the end of the output shaft to thread a bolt into that holds the yoke in place.

Obviously a traditional SYE kit with its beefier output shaft is stronger but so far, I haven't heard of anyone busting their RE hack 'n tap's output shaft on the trail either.

#5 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
Obviously a traditional SYE kit with its beefier output shaft is stronger but so far, I haven't heard of anyone busting their RE hack 'n tap's output shaft on the trail either.
Mine is running good for over a year now :thumbsup:

#9 ·
Here is the one I am considering....

from driveshaftsuperstore.com

Slip Yoke Eliminator (SYE) Wrangler Kit
for 231Jeep, 207 old jeep, 242 cherokee transfer cases

The simple way to install a kit at an affordable price is here.

Look! Drive Shaft Superstore slip yoke eliminator does not require that the transfer case be removed and taken apart. This kit works just like the heavy duty except it uses the same output shaft and costs less than any others in the market. Click here to read more about it under the wrangler kits.

Note : YJs simply drill and tap a hole at the end of the output shaft and install the parts. Use high angle after 4.5 inches

Note : TJs cut 2" of the output shaft which exposes soft metal for easy drilling and tapping and then install parts. Use high angle after 4.5 inches

Our kit includes a spicer type CV style drive shaft.

Not just anyone can offer the high angle CVs that Drive Shaft Superstore can (even if they say they do).

Unless they buy form us, no one has the high speed 16 spline 1.5”diameter automotive long spline drive shaft that we make.

SYE KIT

TJ and YJ yokes. These are half round yokes that are bolted to the output shaft. The bolt is furnished along with the four bolts for the CV and drive shaft.

COMPLETE AND PRECISION BALANCE UNITS

Wrangler SYE Kit -- $325.00 INCLUDES DRIVE SHAFT

#12 ·
Yeah, Tom Woods is a relaxing way to get a DS. I ordered mine, and since I knew it was a top quality custom shaft, I was expecting it to take 3 weeks. Nope, they finished it by the next day and mailed it out. Got here in no time. They were also very patient with me and answered all of my n00b questions.

As for price, I don't remember how much of my total price was shaft and how much was SYE, but for the total transaction, which included the Advanced Adapters SYE, Tom Woods custom driveshaft, new u-joint straps and bolts, and the packaging fee or whatever, my total bill charged to my card was $535. If you're just getting a DS and getting an SYE elsewhere, I think the DS is closer to $270, like Jerry said.

#14 ·
Jerry Bransford said:
CV driveshafts are not $400, they're closer to $270 or so. Check Tom Wood's site at www.4xshaft.com/ and give him a call tomorrow. :)
I may have been looking at the total set up.

Well good I don't hear anyone destroying the hack & tap, I will check out driveshaftsuperstore, and tom woods.

#15 ·
GringoLoco said:
Yeah, Tom Woods is a relaxing way to get a DS. I ordered mine, and since I knew it was a top quality custom shaft, I was expecting it to take 3 weeks. Nope, they finished it by the next day and mailed it out. Got here in no time. They were also very patient with me and answered all of my n00b questions.

As for price, I don't remember how much of my total price was shaft and how much was SYE, but for the total transaction, which included the Advanced Adapters SYE, Tom Woods custom driveshaft, new u-joint straps and bolts, and the packaging fee or whatever, my total bill charged to my card was $535. If you're just getting a DS and getting an SYE elsewhere, I think the DS is closer to $270, like Jerry said.
Instead of buying it direct from Tom Woods, you can also try going thru offroadtoystore.com. Their total price for mine was cheaper than going directly to TW for the same thing. Go figure.

#17 ·
GringoLoco said:
X2

Very patient, fast turn around, great product.

#25 ·
My hack and tap has held up so far. No problems. Went on this winter. Had a friend do the cutting and drilling on the output shaft since he is a much better fabricator and mechanic than I will ever be.

For the drive shaft I just went local. A fellow Jeeper owns a Drive Shaft business in Ann Arbor. Took the Hack and Tap flange (to make sure he had the right yoke) and the measurements with me and he had it ready in a day. And came in a cheaper than Rubicon Express. When a mistake was discovered on my part, he remedied it and even threw in a couple of extra u-joints.

#26 ·
I realize many folks have no probs with their hack and tap setups... I just don't view my TCase output as a place to try and penny pinch. You're looking at saving a little over a hundred bucks on one of the most critical moving parts of your vehicle.

Not only are you not making the output shaft stronger (by replacing it with a thicker version) but aren't you actually making it WEAKER by drilling through the center? (I could be wrong on this... but I looked briefly into this option earlier). If you're needing a SYE, that means you're likely doing 4+ inches of lift and installing 33+" tires..... you're likely going to be putting your jeep through a little more stress than the engineers designed it for.....

It just seems to me that of all the places I would be looking to pinch a few pennies on a jeep buildup.... this is not where I'd do it.

Just my $0.02 of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.