HO in Intake - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > HO in Intake

Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-28-2006, 07:02 AM   #1
Bushar99TJ

HO in Intake

Over the weekend I blazed through a pretty deep puddle and must have sucked some water because my baby just stalled in the middle of the puddle. Cranked for a while and finally got 'er running again, and after some spittin' and sputterin' we got out and back on the road. For a while there was some hesitation with acceleration and a definite power loss. But I guess after the air box dried out she was running normal again.

My question is this: is there anything I need to do after such a mishap to prevent further engine damage? I have a stock intake with a K&N filter, so I'm sure not too much dirt got into the engine, but what about the moisture? Does the internal heat, friction and lubrication just blow the water through the exhaust? I guess as long as no water got past my rings my oil should be fine too, right?

And yes, I know I have to clean and recharge the filter...

Also, anyone know a way to prevent water getting into my air box other than A) snorkel and B) don't go through water so fast?

Thanks in advance.

[I]Audio:[/I] Pioneer P7600MP, Xplod 1200W, 2 Visonik 12" subs; Legacy 600W, 2 Dual 10" subs
[I]Other:[/I] Ranger 3900EGHP CB/HAM, Garmin GPS, laptop navigation, Hi-lift jack, Streamlight Ultra Stinger w/ charger, 375 watt inverter, Hurst T-handle shifter, K&N Air Filter, 2" Class IV with Pintle Combo, Front tow hooks[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="Navy"]Straight Guys Who Drive Purple Jeeps Club Member # 2[/COLOR][/FONT]
Bushar99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:12 AM   #2
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushar99TJ
Does the internal heat, friction and lubrication just blow the water through the exhaust? I guess as long as no water got past my rings my oil should be fine too, right?
Small amounts of water will become steam during combustion and leave with the exhaust gases. The biggest danger with water is the possibility of hydro lock in the cylinders. Water will not compress as the piston comes up on the compression stroke and something has to give; bent/broken pushrods, broken pistons, broken crankshaft, etc

Sounds like you got off easy! Id be checking the oil for water.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushar99TJ
Also, anyone know a way to prevent water getting into my air box other than A) snorkel and B) don't go through water so fast?
Option C Stay out of deep water and take it easy when you do have to go through water.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:17 AM   #3
jkoffroadin
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, check the oil to see if it looks like chocolate milk. If it does, you have water in the engine and that is really not good.

Also, if there is water in the engine, and since you already drove it, you may want to take the spark plugs out and spray some WD-40 in the holes. That will get rid of any condensation around the plugs...might as well clean your plugs too since you have them out.

Good luck!
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:20 AM   #4
RockRunner85
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I doubt you sucked water in, sounds like you got the distributor wet instead. If you sucked enough water in to stall, it should've hydrolocked. Only way to clear that is to remove the plugs before cranking. Take off the distributor cap and spray it down with wd-40. This will remove any moisture in there. Moisture will cause the spittering and suttering you describe.

RE 3.5 SuperFlex & Front Trackbar / JKS 1.25" BL & MML / 35x12.5 MTRs on 15x8 AR-23s / Currie Anti-Rock / Jeeperman Bumpers / Rokmen Sliders / York OBA / Harbor Freight 8k Winch
RockRunner85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:32 AM   #5
jkoffroadin
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85
If you sucked enough water in to stall, it should've hydrolocked.
Not always. A week after I got my rubi, I sank it and sucked water up into the engine. It stalled...like a ******* I tried to start it again and it wouldn't. Towed it back to my house and did the spark plug thing and tried to crank it...shot water 30 feet up into the air. Then changed my oil 7 times to get it looking like oil again. The first time I drained it, 7 gallons of water oil mixture came out

I think I just got lucky though...it should I hydrolocked
Unread 03-28-2006, 07:38 AM   #6
Bushar99TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRunner85
I doubt you sucked water in, sounds like you got the distributor wet instead.
I hope you're right. The only reason I assumed that I sucked water, is that I opened my air box and there was water laying in the bottom under the filter. But the more I think about it, that would be awful hard to suck water from the bottom of the box up through the filter and into the intake... maybe a few drops, or just very moist air, like there's a humidifier in there!
[I]Audio:[/I] Pioneer P7600MP, Xplod 1200W, 2 Visonik 12" subs; Legacy 600W, 2 Dual 10" subs
[I]Other:[/I] Ranger 3900EGHP CB/HAM, Garmin GPS, laptop navigation, Hi-lift jack, Streamlight Ultra Stinger w/ charger, 375 watt inverter, Hurst T-handle shifter, K&N Air Filter, 2" Class IV with Pintle Combo, Front tow hooks[/FONT]
[FONT="Arial Narrow"][COLOR="Navy"]Straight Guys Who Drive Purple Jeeps Club Member # 2[/COLOR][/FONT]
Bushar99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 08:53 AM   #7
adam728
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubioffroad
Also, if there is water in the engine, and since you already drove it, you may want to take the spark plugs out and spray some WD-40 in the holes. That will get rid of any condensation around the plugs...might as well clean your plugs too since you have them out.
Any water left in the cylinders would be burnt off almost immediatly once the engine is ran, so spraying lube in the cylinder's won't do anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubioffroad
Not always. A week after I got my rubi, I sank it and sucked water up into the engine. It stalled...like a ******* I tried to start it again and it wouldn't. Towed it back to my house and did the spark plug thing and tried to crank it...shot water 30 feet up into the air. Then changed my oil 7 times to get it looking like oil again. The first time I drained it, 7 gallons of water oil mixture came out

I think I just got lucky though...it should I hydrolocked.
Uhhm, that is hydrolocking. When the engine can't crank over because of water in the cylinders it is hydrolocked.
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 08:55 AM   #8
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

That sounds more like getting the distributor wet than sucking in water into the engine, let it dry out and spray some WD40 around the connections to displace any water you will be ok

It wont hurt to change your fluids anyways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2006, 09:33 AM   #9
jkoffroadin
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728
Uhhm, that is hydrolocking. When the engine can't crank over because of water in the cylinders it is hydrolocked.
I thought hydrolocked is when you actually bent a rod or something...not just the loss of ability to crank...

Learn something new everyday on this site!

Thanks
Unread 03-28-2006, 09:59 AM   #10
MichiganJeeper1
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have unfortunately had experience with the worst kind of hydrolock. If you suck water in the intake while the engine revs are high you will break somthing, thats what happened to me, and now I am on my second 4.0L If you stalled out in the middle of the water like that but got it running again it was not water in the engine but a wet ditributer. I'd silicone the connections of the cap and make sure there isnt any other damage.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.