growing pains--weird popping noise! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > growing pains--weird popping noise!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 10-30-2002, 10:37 AM   #1
GRLSCAN2

growing pains--weird popping noise!

Okay, I recently installed a 3" Tera flex lift on my 01 TJ, and since then, there is a popping noise when I turn the wheel really far one way, and always when I hit "large" bumps. I took my jeep offroad for the first time this weekend and it was popping and ticking so badly we had to stop and try to figure it out. I'm sure it is directly related to the new lift, but am not sure where to start looking. If anyone has ever broken the sway bar link, it is making exactly that sound. Besides tightening every bolt I can find, is there any particular "problem areas" I can look at?
it may be unrelated, but I never have gotten around to putting the rear trac bar back in (I don't even feel the difference in the drive anymore). Also, though this is common, we drilled a hole to re-install the front trac bar instead of getting a relocation bracket. Could it have to do with that?
It's under warranty, but I'm sure the problem relates to the lift.

quick-loc front, limited slip rear (for now!)
JKS quick disco's
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
uhh...hi-lift, CB, windshield-mount lights, and other toys
(but growing)
GRLSCAN2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2002, 12:25 PM   #2
Parajeeper

If it is only happening when turning have you checked bumpstops for proper adjustment? Thats all I can think of right now
Parajeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2002, 12:39 PM   #3
Jim Shanks
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I would check the swaybar links both up front and in back. An easy way to see if one of them is broke or is popping is to grab the rollbar or something strong up high and rock the heck out of it. If it's one of them, it'll probably start popping while doing that. Also, check your motor mounts. I had my rear one (the one holding the transfercase to the skidplate) go out and it was extremely loud popping both starting to move and hitting bumps. Sounded terrible when locked into 4wd. Just some things to hopefully help.

Jim
Jim Shanks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2002, 12:41 PM   #4
GRLSCAN2

hmmm. Bumpstops. forgot about that. They are in there for the front, but I'm not sure how tight. I never put them in the rear, cause it didn't come with the kit, and I was told that a lot of people ran without them.
The popping happens always on bumps, and occasionally on sharp turns, such as u turns.
Thanks for the reply. PS Arizona rocks! I'm gonna live there one day....
quick-loc front, limited slip rear (for now!)
JKS quick disco's
Rancho Steering Stabilizer
uhh...hi-lift, CB, windshield-mount lights, and other toys
(but growing)
GRLSCAN2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2002, 01:29 PM   #5
K9JEEP
Registered Abuser

Nice to see Parajeeper make a return!!

GRLSCAN2, check your control arms, make sure all those are torqed down. If they're binding or even slightly loose, they'll pop and knock. I've had a 3" teraflex, and that was a problem I first had.

Upper control arms, 55ft/lbs
Lower control arms, axle side 85ft/lbs
Lower control arms, frame side 130ft/lbs or till your red in the face. The brackets should be pinching the bushing.
Unread 10-30-2002, 04:22 PM   #6
Black 2001 TJ

I could be way off, but have you checked your u-joints? A lot of people complain about popping from them and it's possible that the sound is coming from them with a coincidence that you just put on the lift.

If I am off, sorry!
Black 2001 TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-31-2002, 08:22 AM   #7
burton4584

Mine did the same thing, turns out it was the front track bar. I did the same setup..just drilled a new hole for the front track bar, The torx bolt in there wasnt really tight and everytime i would turn full lock, the axle would shift and pull the bolt to one side making a really loud poping sound. Ya might wanna have someone turn your wheels while you look underneath to see what is going on.

If you only have one tool, a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
burton4584 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.