grind or relocate (rear shocks hit now) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > grind or relocate (rear shocks hit now)

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
mikesbeachhut
2003 TJ Wrangler 

grind or relocate (rear shocks hit now)

Since I rotated my pinion up I noticed my rear shock cans hit at full droop.Do I go TERAFLEX lower shock extenders or just grind off some of the spring perch.Ill probably lose some shock travel with the extenders but will it make much of a differance?

mikesbeachhut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 12:51 PM   #2
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Both work. I have the extenders but the extra leverage that you get allowed me to rip off the mount one time.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #3
touched
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Just grind them!
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
shipsjeep1
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I just ground mine twice last week and plan to do it again soon. My point is dont just do it barely enough... take the spring out of the way and grind it good (watch the brake line). I asked the same questioin about a week ago and chose to go with the cheapest....grind. Ther were a lot of replies on people extending and breaking factory mounts. Good luck!
shipsjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:07 PM   #5
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Flipping your shocks over might do it too.
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
beartree
2003 TJ Wrangler 

installed JKS shock extions on my TJ.
93011-002.jpg  
beartree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Sorry for a quick hi-jack, but beartree, are those "centrifugal balancers" on your hub ? How well do they work ? Or just a dust shield ?
Unread 12-15-2011, 03:35 PM   #8
beartree
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Those are Centramatic wheel balancers. I have had them on my Rubicon since I brought it home from the dealer. The old MTRs looked like new ones except for less tread when I replaced the with 76,000 miles on them. I used to run them on my Kentworth back in the day when I owned my own truck.
beartree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #9
lupinsea
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Grind.

The shock extenders will rip off your shock mounts, eventually. Too much leverage.

And as someone said, it's handy if you take our your rear springs to do the grinding. But, IIRC, it may not be necessary.

Of course, I'd recommend doing the AEV / Nth Degree shock shifter kit. It does wonders for the handling/ride of the rear end of the TJ. I did my own by trying to reverse design the Nth kit. . . after doing that I FULLY recommend just getting the Nth kit. It'll save you boatloads of time. This is more involved than just cutting the spring perch but it'll give you a nice improvement in the ride of your TJ. No more back-end wiggle going over bumps and the rig feels more planted.

The SS mod is a step between running shocks in the stock location and doing the full frame-cut, long-travel shock mod.

Unread 12-16-2011, 03:21 PM   #10
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesbeachhut View Post
Since I rotated my pinion up I noticed my rear shock cans hit at full droop.Do I go TERAFLEX lower shock extenders or just grind off some of the spring perch.Ill probably lose some shock travel with the extenders but will it make much of a differance?
Shock extenders are a bad idea. Take a cutoff disk to the back of the spring perch and you're done.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.