The great tummy tuck debate - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The great tummy tuck debate

Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:18 PM   #46
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I started with the hardest and lowest version first being the 03 up with the auto and after that, it's all up from there.
Including the 241? Isn't the 241 bigger then the 231? Then with the auto = takes more space?

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #47
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Including the 241? Isn't the 241 bigger then the 231? Then with the auto = takes more space?
When I did the flat skid with the Atlas in the green one, I had to lower the engine skid 3/8" below the belly skid.

The 241 isn't larger than the Atlas, but we'll see.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM   #48
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
When I did the flat skid with the Atlas in the green one, I had to lower the engine skid 3/8" below the belly skid.

The 241 isn't larger than the Atlas, but we'll see.
Anything is possible. What did you end up doing to clear the tranny and the Atlas? How much was the body lifted on the '03?
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:48 PM   #49
Sgt.Fuzz
2001 TJ Wrangler 

The Savvy system sounds great, but I didn't see one available for 97-02 models. Guess it's UCF for me.
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:51 PM   #50
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
The Savvy system sounds great, but I didn't see one available for 97-02 models. Guess it's UCF for me.
Yep, we're currently developing them, but alas, they are not quite ready yet. Matt makes great stuff and if you can't hang on for ours, you certainly won't go wrong with his stuff.
Unread 07-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #51
F9K9

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I running the AEV/Nth TT on an '03 Rubi (auto) and it was a major PITA to install solo 2 yrs ago. At the time, the instructions were 13 pages long for my heep. The locker pumps relocation instructions had me bumfuzzled for 2 days. I called David (Northridge) up and he got bumfuzzled and said he would call me back. 30 minutes later I got a call from Jim at AEV. Jim is the former owner of Nth and now is an engineer at AEV. The instructions were outdated and didn't change with "improvements" that were made to the TT. In checking their site, I see things are still unchanged 2 yrs later. Less than 5 minutes on phone with Jim and things became crystal clear. I finished up my install and took it to the car wash to get rid of all the antiseize that I smeared everywhere. I had planned on scrapping the powder coat off on rocks but, it couldn't hold up to weak car wash.

Had Savvy been an option then, I wouldn't of hesitated for a moment and gone with theirs. I will still go with theirs, eventually, just to shed the additional weight and have the ability to drop their armor without the hassle of supporting the tranny and trying to get things realigned back up in place by manhandling the heavy AEV skid.

The Nth skid was/is a very good design but, things evolve and new ideas come out. These mods are no different than cell phones. I know I wouldn't be happy with the cell phone that I had 2 yrs ago let alone 5 yrs ago.

'03 Rubicon w/a few changes.
F9K9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:37 AM   #52
emev0l
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by F9K9 View Post
I running the AEV/Nth TT on an '03 Rubi (auto) and it was a major PITA to install solo 2 yrs ago. At the time, the instructions were 13 pages long for my heep. The locker pumps relocation instructions had me bumfuzzled for 2 days. I called David (Northridge) up and he got bumfuzzled and said he would call me back. 30 minutes later I got a call from Jim at AEV. Jim is the former owner of Nth and now is an engineer at AEV. The instructions were outdated and didn't change with "improvements" that were made to the TT. In checking their site, I see things are still unchanged 2 yrs later. Less than 5 minutes on phone with Jim and things became crystal clear. I finished up my install and took it to the car wash to get rid of all the antiseize that I smeared everywhere. I had planned on scrapping the powder coat off on rocks but, it couldn't hold up to weak car wash.

Had Savvy been an option then, I wouldn't of hesitated for a moment and gone with theirs. I will still go with theirs, eventually, just to shed the additional weight and have the ability to drop their armor without the hassle of supporting the tranny and trying to get things realigned back up in place by manhandling the heavy AEV skid.

The Nth skid was/is a very good design but, things evolve and new ideas come out. These mods are no different than cell phones. I know I wouldn't be happy with the cell phone that I had 2 yrs ago let alone 5 yrs ago.
I agree AEV's directions are pretty much worthless, it also doesn't help when they have instructions for several models all flowing together.

I did hear there old gray powder coating was junk, they have changed to a new powder coating which is black and holds up very good.

They need to clean there instructions up, but I don't see it happening, it looks like there putting all there attention on the JK's now.
1970 Cutlass 442 468CID TH400
1999 7.3 Powerstroke
emev0l is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:01 AM   #53
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFuzz View Post
There will be a system for your model Jeep coming out soon. For all the other Jeep TJ models as well. You shouldn't be disappointed with the UCF system either. It is still a nice system.
Unread 07-23-2010, 09:45 AM   #54
TJ_ITmgr
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbuck View Post
in regards to tummy tucks, I've been thinking about one. I have 2" BDS spring lift, and I would eventually want 1 more inch of lift, and a slimmer t-case skid. What would the pros/cons be of these two options (both of which I assume would require a new driveshaft, and possibly control arms? No SYE for me, rubicon)

Option #1: 1" body lift, motor mount lift, and high clearance skid that is 2" slimmer than stock (total 2" higher t-case skid)

Option #2: 1" coil spacers or (or 1" taller spings) and possibly new shocks. A basic t-case skid upgrade that is 1" slimmer than stock. (total about 2" higher t-case skid)

Since both of those options (I think) would get me about the same height t-case skid off the ground, what would be the pro/con for each option? I'm leaning towards coil spacers (or new springs) because I don't like how bodylifts look, and I'd ahve to do a motor mount lift as well, and possibly a few other thigns for the gas tank? My instinct is to lift the entire frame and body (either longer springs, or coil spacer) rather than lifting just the body. However on the flip side, more suspension lift might possibly be more prone to vibration issues than the body and motor lift?

Both routes would most likely require driveshaft upgrade, and posibly controll arms?
Option #1 Pros:

Allow to keep a somewhat lower center gravity since you would only be raising the body and some parts of the drivetrain (due to TT and MML) 1" higher.

Cheaper and easier.

Should allow you to get by without needing extended bumpstops.
A 1" BL is hardly noticeable.

Option #1 Cons:

You don't like BL's

Option #2 Pros:

Drawing a blank...

Option #2 Cons:

You are raising the frame and body 1" higher and and some parts of the drivetrain (due to TT) 1" higher so it will have a higher center of gravity as opposed to option #1

Extended bumpstops
1997 TJ, 4.0, 5 Spd, Low miles, Rough Country 2.5" Suspension Lift, 3in body lift, Mega Short SYE and custom shaft, 33x12.50 Maxxis Bighorns, 15x8 Soft 8's, 8.8 Rear w/LS, HP D30 w/LockRight and 3.73's
TJ_ITmgr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:15 AM   #55
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
There is a method to my design madness. My goal is to take the same belly/engine skid and raise and lower by altering the crossmember and front brace as the various models and transmission options dictate.
I never heard that or thought about it. That is freaking genius. I totally get it, now. Be able to produce the one piece and just have different crossmembers for different tc/tranny combos. Haha, I feel like kind of an idiot because I just had my mind blown by how stupidly simple and great that is.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:20 AM   #56
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ_ITmgr View Post
Option #1 Pros:

Allow to keep a somewhat lower center gravity since you would only be raising the body and some parts of the drivetrain (due to TT and MML) 1" higher.

Cheaper and easier.

Should allow you to get by without needing extended bumpstops.
A 1" BL is hardly noticeable.

Option #1 Cons:

You don't like BL's

Option #2 Pros:

Drawing a blank...

Option #2 Cons:

You are raising the frame and body 1" higher and and some parts of the drivetrain (due to TT) 1" higher so it will have a higher center of gravity as opposed to option #1

Extended bumpstops
Thanks for your reply! I'm not yet ready to do either of these options, so I guess I have a while to think on it and read up on them, specifically, what else needs to be changed/adjusted when doing a BL and MML
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:40 AM   #57
diablo_331
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpster View Post
youb forget, there is a difference between "bolt on" and bolt up. Just because a UFC skid will bolt up doesnt mean your done, you still need to figure out the exhaust and the transmission pan if you have a 42rle, maybe the transmission mount.

You get what you pay for.
You are wrong there...I did not forget. Some may weigh less or have more thought behind them or may be completely bolt on with no bumps along the way but no matter what steps are involved, they all do the same thing in the end.
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:45 AM   #58
diablo_331
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post

You might be tired of all the Savvy talk, but that doesn't change the fact of how innovative the products are. They are some of the best products built for what they are designed for. The products are built for certain aspects of off roading. The TT and GTS are just things that are universal. But the Under Armor system is most definitely among the higher end components.

...Oh believe me..You and all of the other minons have made your points over and over and over and over.
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:56 AM   #59
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_331 View Post
You are wrong there...I did not forget. Some may weigh less or have more thought behind them or may be completely bolt on with no bumps along the way but no matter what steps are involved, they all do the same thing in the end.
That's an incredibly retarded thing to say. Since that's the case, it's amazing anyone other than Kia manages to sell a single car. Why are you driving a Jeep when you can drive anything else? Why would you ever choose anything that's NOT the cheapest option? After all, they all do the same thing in the end.

No, you choose things based on how well they get the job done, how complete they are, how well designed, how they look, and about 50 other considerations.

You can't argue that one's not better than the other since in the end they all do the same thing (which is debatable on the finer points) as a response to someone pointing out all the advantages of a lighter, better-designed, more complete choice.

If someone suggests a Savvy product and says why, then the proper response isn't, "Wow how can you even see to type when your head is buried so deeply into Blaine's crotch?" If you think there's a better choice, awesome, point out what it is and why you think that. Otherwise, seriously, you should consider shutting the hell up.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #60
diablo_331
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post
That's an incredibly retarded thing to say. Since that's the case, it's amazing anyone other than Kia manages to sell a single car. Why are you driving a Jeep when you can drive anything else? Why would you ever choose anything that's NOT the cheapest option? After all, they all do the same thing in the end.

No, you choose things based on how well they get the job done, how complete they are, how well designed, how they look, and about 50 other considerations.

You can't argue that one's not better than the other since in the end they all do the same thing (which is debatable on the finer points) as a response to someone pointing out all the advantages of a lighter, better-designed, more complete choice.

If someone suggests a Savvy product and says why, then the proper response isn't, "Wow how can you even see to type when your head is buried so deeply into Blaine's crotch?" If you think there's a better choice, awesome, point out what it is and why you think that. Otherwise, seriously, you should consider shutting the hell up.
Here we go. Dance monkey dance. That last part is almost sig worthy.

Tags
rokmen , savvy , gas tank , tummy tuck , skid , tj , wrangler , advice , help , clearance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.