The great tummy tuck debate - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The great tummy tuck debate

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Reply
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:53 PM   #31
DaleII
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside/Apple Valley, California
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGeno View Post
ok from what i read it looks like everyone is pro savvy, i dont mean to open this can but i have an 05 X auto stock, what would i need for a TT? thanks
If you order everything with the Savvy system, that is Savvy name, you would need adjustable rear upper control arms, and SYE and CV drive shaft. I think that's it. Someone else can chime in if I forgot something.

__________________
2005 Silver LJ
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 10:57 PM   #32
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
If you order everything with the Savvy system, that is Savvy name, you would need adjustable rear upper control arms, and SYE and CV drive shaft. I think that's it. Someone else can chime in if I forgot something.
does it need lower shock extensions (or flip your shocks if you are able)?
shock-mount.jpg  
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:03 PM   #33
CaptGeno
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
If you order everything with the Savvy system, that is Savvy name, you would need adjustable rear upper control arms, and SYE and CV drive shaft. I think that's it. Someone else can chime in if I forgot something.
im looking at the site and it has an option for the 1.25" BL, and the Transfer Case Shifter, since mine is stock looks like i need those as well?

thanks for the speedy reply!!
CaptGeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:05 PM   #34
DaleII
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside/Apple Valley, California
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
does it need lower shock extensions (or flip your shocks if you are able)?
Don't think so. Never heard that it has. I'm going off of what has been said in the threads.

Don't take my word as final. Blaine is the one to ask for an ultimatum. But I think something like shock extensions is based on a per Jeep basis.
__________________
2005 Silver LJ
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:06 PM   #35
DaleII
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside/Apple Valley, California
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGeno View Post
im looking at the site and it has an option for the 1.25" BL, and the Transfer Case Shifter, since mine is stock looks like i need those as well?

thanks for the speedy reply!!
You will need the BL, but the shifter is optional. The Novak shifter is just the top of the line shifter you can get. As Blaine said, there are plenty of home brew solutions that will work just fine.
__________________
2005 Silver LJ
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:13 PM   #36
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
If you order everything with the Savvy system, that is Savvy name, you would need adjustable rear upper control arms, and SYE and CV drive shaft. I think that's it. Someone else can chime in if I forgot something.
Sorry, Dale, not trying to bust your chops, even though I might be coming off that way. But I keep on thinking of my TT upgrade. How about angled rear trackbar bracket for rotating the pinion? And of course a Savvy gas tank skid to get the clearance for the trackbar. Not sure if that is in the kit?
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #37
CaptGeno
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los angeles
Posts: 79
Excellent!! thanks DaleII looks like i have a new project coming up.
CaptGeno is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #38
DaleII
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside/Apple Valley, California
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Sorry, Dale, not trying to bust your chops, even though I might be coming off that way. But I keep on thinking of my TT upgrade. How about angled rear trackbar bracket for rotating the pinion? And of course a Savvy gas tank skid to get the clearance for the trackbar. Not sure if that is in the kit?
I couldn't tell you, but you need to talk to Blaine. Hop over into the Savvy under Armor thread and post up a question. Blaine has creative solutions for everything. He has a fix the the trackbar limiting flex.

Savvy Under Armor
__________________
2005 Silver LJ
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:21 PM   #39
DaleII
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside/Apple Valley, California
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGeno View Post
Excellent!! thanks DaleII looks like i have a new project coming up.
You being in LA you could probably even pick up the Savvy'ness at their shop. They're located in Tustin.
__________________
2005 Silver LJ
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:31 PM   #40
diablo_331
Registered User
2001 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Louisiana & Texas
Posts: 702
I am just as Savvy as the next guy but all these people blowing Savvy ALL THE TIME is getting really old. People get talked down to just because they recommend something other than Savvy. When it all boils down to it, a TT is designed to tuck the driveline higher and protect it. There are numerous different skids, besides Savvy, that do this very well. If you want to save some weight and you are on a budget then ,IMHO, go with UCF. If you want to save weight and have a little cash to blow then go with Savvy. If you are on a tight budget and find a great deal on all of the used steel skids that are flooding the market because of the new aluminum craze, then save some cash and buy it. At the end of the day the destination is the same no matter how you get there.
__________________
'01 TJ, Waggy 44 front, D44 rear, Both locked and loaded, Savvy Armor, SuperWinch LP8500, MetalCloak bumper, and a heavy foot.
diablo_331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:36 PM   #41
lumpster
Web Wheeler
 
lumpster's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: kansas City MO
Posts: 4,673
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_331 View Post
I am just as Savvy as the next guy but all these people blowing Savvy ALL THE TIME is getting really old. People get talked down to just because they recommend something other than Savvy. When it all boils down to it, a TT is designed to tuck the driveline higher and protect it. There are numerous different skids, besides Savvy, that do this very well. If you want to save some weight and you are on a budget then ,IMHO, go with UCF. If you want to save weight and have a little cash to blow then go with Savvy. If you are on a tight budget and find a great deal on all of the used steel skids that are flooding the market because of the new aluminum craze, then save some cash and buy it. At the end of the day the destination is the same no matter how you get there.


youb forget, there is a difference between "bolt on" and bolt up. Just because a UFC skid will bolt up doesnt mean your done, you still need to figure out the exhaust and the transmission pan if you have a 42rle, maybe the transmission mount.


You get what you pay for.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Don't ask me to repeat or remember those prices, I may be grumpy tomorrow and either double them or quit altogether.



Want to STOP?

Edited
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #42
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
Generally more pieces do not make a better design, but in this case having the cross member support feature sounds nice, I could have used something like that on mine once or twice by now.
I'm in 100 percent agreement that more pieces do not make a better design.

Why do you think I came up with the only 1 piece engine and belly skid that starts in front of the engine oil pan and doesn't stop until it gets behind the transfer case?

I've done separate skids many many different ways and could never convince myself that bolting the two together under the transmission pan was the better way to do something. More cost effective and easier, but never as good as I thought I could do it.

You can take the wings off and throw them away and still protect everything that needs protecting. Might not slide as smoothly, but you'll get home.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:49 PM   #43
DaleII
Registered User
2005 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Riverside/Apple Valley, California
Posts: 1,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo_331 View Post
I am just as Savvy as the next guy but all these people blowing Savvy ALL THE TIME is getting really old. People get talked down to just because they recommend something other than Savvy. When it all boils down to it, a TT is designed to tuck the driveline higher and protect it. There are numerous different skids, besides Savvy, that do this very well. If you want to save some weight and you are on a budget then ,IMHO, go with UCF. If you want to save weight and have a little cash to blow then go with Savvy. If you are on a tight budget and find a great deal on all of the used steel skids that are flooding the market because of the new aluminum craze, then save some cash and buy it. At the end of the day the destination is the same no matter how you get there.
There are various other skids that a vary good in there design. I consider UCF and the system to be the next best things other then Savvy, but Savvy is the most complete system you can buy.

You might be tired of all the Savvy talk, but that doesn't change the fact of how innovative the products are. They are some of the best products built for what they are designed for. The products are built for certain aspects of off roading. The TT and GTS are just things that are universal. But the Under Armor system is most definitely among the higher end components.
__________________
2005 Silver LJ
DaleII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #44
J03_TJ
Web Wheeler
 
J03_TJ's Avatar
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Sparks NV
Posts: 3,470
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
I'm in 100 percent agreement that more pieces do not make a better design.

Why do you think I came up with the only 1 piece engine and belly skid that starts in front of the engine oil pan and doesn't stop until it gets behind the transfer case?

I've done separate skids many many different ways and could never convince myself that bolting the two together under the transmission pan was the better way to do something. More cost effective and easier, but never as good as I thought I could do it.

You can take the wings off and throw them away and still protect everything that needs protecting. Might not slide as smoothly, but you'll get home.
I'm kinda embarrassed, I guess I should take a look at your design. Your skid being one piece definitely sounds sweet. I guess I just have what I have and had to comment.
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-23-2010, 12:10 AM   #45
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes
 
mrblaine's Avatar
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Quail Valley, California
Posts: 26,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by J03_TJ View Post
I'm kinda embarrassed, I guess I should take a look at your design. Your skid being one piece definitely sounds sweet. I guess I just have what I have and had to comment.
There is a method to my design madness. My goal is to take the same belly/engine skid and raise and lower by altering the crossmember and front brace as the various models and transmission options dictate.

I started with the hardest and lowest version first being the 03 up with the auto and after that, it's all up from there.
__________________
I am Savvy
blackmagicbrakes.com
mrblaine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Tags
rokmen , savvy , gas tank , tummy tuck , skid , tj , wrangler , advice , help , clearance

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.