The great tummy tuck debate - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > The great tummy tuck debate

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #1
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The great tummy tuck debate

Im looking into what will be the best tummy tuck for me. i was looking at two tummy tucks so far. the rokmen package to get the tummy tuck and the gas tank will cost me around $960 shiped and savvy for the same thing and the shifter cable will be around $1550. Im looking for advice on these and others so i get the best one for me. I dont mind spending the extra money If in the end i get the better buy for my dollar. I am looking for one that will give my auto the most ground clarence.

khill8469 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:44 PM   #2
rs4race
1997 TJ Wrangler 

You might want to check out Under Cover Fabworks. They make a few different skids of varying heights and materials, along with engine skids to match.

I have the 2" .25" aluminum skid and its a great skid. I got it before the 1" skid was out I probably would have went with the 1" skid if it was available when I was buying. Dont forget you need sye, rear upper arms and cv driveshaft to go with it if you have any lift at all.
Unread 07-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i did send a message to the guy for under cover fabworks. he seems like a great guy. this is what he told me. I wouldnt want to go to a 2" body lift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khill8469
im looking into what tummy tuck i want and i want as close to flat as i can. i know i will need a slip yoke and a new drive shaft and adjustable upper rear control arms. i have a 2005 with a 2 inch lift and a 1 1/4 body lift. what else will i need to modify to use your high tummy tuck?

You wouldn't be able to run the ultra high clearance skid unless you install a 2" body lift. If you had a manual transmission you could run the LOPRO mount and the 1" deep skid with your current body lift. Unfortunatley the auto tranny prohibits use of the LOPRO mount.

Feel free to call me if you have any other questions.

Thanks,
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
crusher242
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I love my UCF 1" skid. Too bad you have an auto.
Unread 07-21-2010, 04:14 PM   #5
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by khill8469 View Post
the rokmen package to get the tummy tuck and the gas tank will cost me around $960 shiped and savvy for the same thing and the shifter cable will be around $1550.
That's not strictly true. The closest Rokmen equivalent to the Savvy offering would be their "ROKMEN 03-06 TJ/LJ Up Armor Package 3" which is $1015 before shipping, and that's just for the skids and BL/MML. However, consider how incredibly heavy all of that 1/4" and 3/16" plate steel is and figure out if you really want to do it that way. Additionally, realize the Savvy offering includes a low-profile transmission mount, elevated exhaust hanger, and adds crossmembers for the engine and transmission so they're not resting directly on the skids anymore. You can remove the skids without dropping everything. So consider the actual design. Also, while the cable shifter is cool, it's by no means required. I personally would not spend the money on the Rokmen piece if the Savvy is available.

Note that I say that having received and installed their gas tank skid and front bumper already. They're works of art, and I've beat them up pretty hard without any deformation or problems, including dropping the entire rear end of the Jeep on the tank skid onto a granite outcropping (had no choice, otherwise I would've avoided it).

Hopefully they'll get finalized on a version soon that will work with my 6-speed and 241.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:18 PM   #6
leaf777
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I installed a UCF Ulra high skid with a 1 1/4 BL. I think it cost me 250 shipped and I think you can get a discount if you mention the forum.
dscn2949.jpg  
leaf777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #7
Bennettj13
Web Wheeler

2005 TJ Wrangler 

If you dont have anything, and are staying short arm, I'd run Savvy. It's pretty slick stuff. As much as I dislike agreeing with him, Deacon made very valid points.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f33/?uid=152304

Rear Currie 4" coils - 190 shipped. (They've been sitting in the back of my Jeep for mock up but won't work out for me.)

Hornblasters Shocker S4 horn set with some extras $210 shipped. (It is not OBA, just an accessory for OBA)

"LCOG" isn't cheap and it certainly isn't easy. If you think so, you are doing it wrong. If you aren't willing to put in the effort, don't label your build "LCOG". You are just a cheap ******bag.

IndyORV- Dick and fart jokes, titties, throttle, flops, beer, tater balls, and good times.
Bennettj13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
J03_TJ
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I like my Nth TT, they have there own mounting that works pretty well. If I recall it is 1.25" deep. I paired it with the Savvy tank skid and a Jeep Medic oil skid. Nth is AEV now, and their skid is no longer flat like mine, it has a bump where the 241 transfer case needs to be. I think they work with an auto and 1" BL for about $560.
moonrocks6.jpg  
J03_TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

i do already have a jks 1.25 body lift and 1" motor mount. i know if i go savvy the motor mount will be replaced. but if i go rokmen they are still good. my heart is telling me savvy but just tring to convince myself its worth the extra $500. when i can use that towards something else.
Unread 07-22-2010, 01:38 PM   #10
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

You know with Savvy you don't have to get the body lift if you've already got one, right?

That means the Savvy Under Armor and gas tank skid, including low-profile tranny mount, crossmembers, and elevated exhaust hanger, lists at $1324. That's before talking to Gerald in case there's any cost flexibility from list price (I don't know if there is). That's compared to almost $1100 for the package you're talking about together with a low-profile transmission mount. The Savvy is also vastly lighter and won't ever rust.

I don't know, if it were me, between Rokmen and Savvy, I would pony up the extra couple hundred bucks and go Savvy. That's due in no small part to my being very pleased with both their products and service in the past.
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #11
J-Mox
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought the UCF aluminum skid to replace my Teraflex. While the Teraflex proved its worth and is very tough,, compared to the aluminum the difference in weight is incredible. I haven't weighed it yet but the UCF is 27lbs and Teraflex I believe was 70lbs.

Now I also have a Savvy gas tank skid and am very happy with it! Quality is second to none and it raised my tank about an inch.
2004 Wrangler X, 6-cylinder, 5-speed, Dana 30 w/ARB, Alloy USA front shafts, Dana 35, 2" BB, 1" BL, OME shocks, Brown Dog MML, UCF Ultra High-Clearance Skid, Lo-Pro Mount, SYE, Pro Comp Adj. Control Arms, Savvy Gas Tank skid, JKS Quick Disconnects, Rock Hard Sliders, 31" BF Goodrich KM2's on Ravine wheels, Hard Top, Bestop Soft-top, Bestop Safari Top

2010 Moab Trip Thread with JeepForum Members
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f95/i...010-a-1038859/

Dont hate on the guy that keeps his Jeep clean....
Hate on the guy that doesn't get his Jeep dirty....
J-Mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:55 PM   #12
danielbuck
2006 TJ Wrangler 

in regards to tummy tucks, I've been thinking about one. I have 2" BDS spring lift, and I would eventually want 1 more inch of lift, and a slimmer t-case skid. What would the pros/cons be of these two options (both of which I assume would require a new driveshaft, and possibly control arms? No SYE for me, rubicon)

Option #1: 1" body lift, motor mount lift, and high clearance skid that is 2" slimmer than stock (total 2" higher t-case skid)

Option #2: 1" coil spacers or (or 1" taller spings) and possibly new shocks. A basic t-case skid upgrade that is 1" slimmer than stock. (total about 2" higher t-case skid)

Since both of those options (I think) would get me about the same height t-case skid off the ground, what would be the pro/con for each option? I'm leaning towards coil spacers (or new springs) because I don't like how bodylifts look, and I'd ahve to do a motor mount lift as well, and possibly a few other thigns for the gas tank? My instinct is to lift the entire frame and body (either longer springs, or coil spacer) rather than lifting just the body. However on the flip side, more suspension lift might possibly be more prone to vibration issues than the body and motor lift?

Both routes would most likely require driveshaft upgrade, and posibly controll arms?

Last edited by danielbuck; 07-22-2010 at 04:45 PM..
danielbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 02:58 PM   #13
lumpster
Web Wheeler

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you have been around jeeps very long and you know much about working on them and wheeling them, there isnt a great debate. You know what you want and why you want it, there isnt a good comparison, they all do the same thing and that is hold up the drivetrain. Some do more, one does ALOT more. So its no debate, really.

BTW you can get a cheaper body lift than savvy, but you cant buy a better one. I know this for a fact.
lumpster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #14
DaleII
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Gerald from Savvy will be back in the office on Monday. You should give him a call and see what he says. I know the Savvy guys in person and have seen all the products and pieces. The amount of hardware and pieces that go into their Under Armour setup is second to none. it is the best you can get without going to custom fabbed pieces. It is all bolt on and zinc plated and will not rust. they guarantee their products. If it breaks they will replace it. To me there is no question which is the best. What you can't see in pictures that you get for the price is well worth the cost.
Unread 07-22-2010, 07:11 PM   #15
khill8469
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleII View Post
Gerald from Savvy will be back in the office on Monday. You should give him a call and see what he says. I know the Savvy guys in person and have seen all the products and pieces. The amount of hardware and pieces that go into their Under Armour setup is second to none. it is the best you can get without going to custom fabbed pieces. It is all bolt on and zinc plated and will not rust. they guarantee their products. If it breaks they will replace it. To me there is no question which is the best. What you can't see in pictures that you get for the price is well worth the cost.
I have seen the savvy guys on here. They all seem great and i do agree that this is the best tt out their.

Tags
rokmen , savvy , gas tank , tummy tuck , skid , tj , wrangler , advice , help , clearance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.