grave lugnut/bolt problems... help! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > grave lugnut/bolt problems... help!

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 01-04-2004, 12:18 PM   #1
Polaris

grave lugnut/bolt problems... help!

here's the problem... two lug nut bolts in the rear have stripped to the point that they can't thread a lugnut on... on top of that, there are two lugnuts in the front that WILL NOT budge, even with an impact wrench at +/- 110 psi. I've actually stripped them a bit trying to get them off with a tire iron in addition to the impact wrench. Is it possible to go on safely with one lugnut missing on a given tire? I'd assume not, but I might as well ask. thanks to all who respond!

ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

ThePointbreak.org | Mods and Wheeling pics

Last edited by Polaris; 01-04-2004 at 12:37 PM..
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2004, 12:50 PM   #2
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

If you are asking if you wheel will fall off, then no it won't. You can drive while missing 1 lug but you do need to replace it. The torque on your wheel will be off and the rim could possible become out of round or twisted.

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
superman613

go to your local garage and they should have a special impact bit that will remove stipped lugs. We do it all the time for people. As for driving w/o one, don't!! Ive sen people snap their studs and completely lose a tire that way, not on a jeep but a similar 5 lug setup. Just go to a partsd store and get a new one for a dollar or so.

Superman
15x8 Cragar Soft 8's
Explorer ProComp 2" suspension lift
1.75" BB lift on top of that
BL/MML coming soon to a Jeep near you!!
[COLOR=white]White Jeep Member #613[/COLOR]
superman613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-04-2004, 03:00 PM   #4
superman613

Also u might try heating it up wit a torch, I did that to get the locking lug off my spare cuz i didnt get the key for it.

Superman
15x8 Cragar Soft 8's
Explorer ProComp 2" suspension lift
1.75" BB lift on top of that
BL/MML coming soon to a Jeep near you!!
[COLOR=white]White Jeep Member #613[/COLOR]
superman613 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 03:16 PM   #5
3311jeep

If the lug nut edges are rounded you might try and hammer on a 12 point socket wrench on and hope that it works. If the lug nut stud is stripped and you are unable to get the nut off you have a couple options.

If it is on the rear you can remove the axle shaft with the wheel attached and grind off the back of the stud and drive the stud out from the rear. I am not sure what to do on the front.

Lastly, use alot of WD 40 or liquid wrench.
3311jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 03:23 PM   #6
3311jeep

If you can get the wheel and drum/disk off in you can drive out the wheel stud out of the axle/or front hub assembly and replace it with a new stud from any parts store.
3311jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2004, 05:56 PM   #7
Scafone
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I've gone through some lug nut headaches myself...I ended up drilling out the nut and replacing the stud of course. My problem was caused by someone putting the lugs on with an impact, which not only put them on too tight, but this weakens the POS aluminum cap on each nut. From now on, my studs get antisiezed and the nuts are never put on or taken off with an impact again.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
--Thomas Jefferson
Scafone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-06-2004, 11:08 AM   #8
runmanpkll

i have encountered a couple lugnuts on my rear that would not come off. a 1/2" breaker bar and some muscle will sheer off the lug stud. then once the other nuts & the wheel are off, take the brake drum off and drive whats left of the stud through the axle flange with a hammer. then fish a new stud in from behind and you can draw the stud into the hole using a washer & a flat nut. as you tighten the nut it will draw the new stud through.
runmanpkll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2004, 11:17 PM   #9
Polaris

Thanks, all... I picked up some new lugs from 4wheel parts center (the stealership wanted $30 for 5!) and bolts from the stealership ($5.25 each for the rear). Guess I'll be using the torque wrench from now on
ORIGINAL Black Jeep Club Member #34

ThePointbreak.org | Mods and Wheeling pics
Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-07-2004, 11:25 PM   #10
thecarman

Make sure the lugnut studs are not damaged either, that might be what's causing it. That or someone put them on crooked which could have damaged the studs.
Unread 10-04-2011, 05:02 PM   #11
NakedCreekTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Okay I have a similar issue. A single lugnut us seized on mine. I've hit it with pb blaster and all, but the nut is totally stripped and what little bit is left it is.on so tight that I cannot loosen it. So any suggestions besides get a new lug nut.
( )_) ( )_)--)_)
NakedCreekTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #12
roundlitefan
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I guess no one can accuse you of not using the search function...

Twist the seized one until it comes off or snaps (not that hard to break a stud), then take your wheel off and drive the broken stud out through the back of the axle flange by hitting it with a hammer.

Put in a new one (a few bucks at any auto parts store) from the back, put your wheel back on, snug all your lug nuts in a star pattern, torque in a star pattern and go about your day.
roundlitefan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
dlysle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

once you get your problem taken care of ditch the OEM lug nuts with the silly chrome caps and get some real ones. i got black ones from Q-tech and the work and look great!!

'four wheel drive only allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places' - George Noll
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 05:42 PM   #14
Eric2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I am missing a lug up front; it was rounded so I used a striped bolt remover and needless to say it wasn't going back on. In back I had a lug sieze on and stip. I used the remover and it just kept on eatting it away. Finally it had to be drilled out. It ain't going to hurt. I do second dlysle and say get new ones, oem ones are dumb.
Eric2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2011, 09:45 PM   #15
dlysle
2006 LJ Wrangler 

i had my locking lug explode while trying to remove it, i ended up drilling out the stud, luckily it was on the wheel spacer not the hub so it was easy to replace. i no longer have locking lugs, now i have one piece black lugs i got from Q-tech
lug2.jpg   lug3.jpg   lugoff1.jpg   blklug1.jpg   blklug2.jpg  

'four wheel drive only allows you to get stuck in more inaccessible places' - George Noll
dlysle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.