Got screwed on a motor. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Got screwed on a motor.

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 12-01-2013, 04:35 PM   #1
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got screwed on a motor.

Picked up a used motor today for My TJ. Been talking to the guy for the last week about a 2000 TJ motor that would drop right into My rig and plug and play. At one point in our messaging, He said it was a 2002. Which would work fine. When I got to his house today, the motor was on a stand outside of his garage waiting for Me to get there. First thing I noticed,,,, distributor!!! I asked him wtf. He said, He took coil packs off and installed distributor to work on a 1998 TJ. He had several Jeeps and seemed like He knew what He was doing so I let that go in one ear and out the other. Loaded it up in the back of My truck and strapped it down. Right about then He said something about Cherokee!!!! I looked at Him and said (Is this a Wrangler motor or Cherokee?) He quickly said Wrangler. Paid Him and headed home (3 hours away). I had a bad feeling about the motor. Got all the way home, drove out to My shop and compared My old motor to the new used one. Not the same. I tried calling Him up but of coarse, He wont answer. Anyhow, according to the casting numbers, its a 98. Not sure if its a Wrangler or Cherokee motor.

rinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

By the way, this is going into My new to Me, 2000 TJ. What I need to know, now that Im cooled off a little. Can I take the top end, intake, and exhaust off My 2000 motor and transfer them to the 98' motor? Or I could put it on craigslist, advertised correctly (Cherokee Motor). This really sucks, driving that far to get screwed from a fellow Jeeper.
Unread 12-01-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
robncar
We Got The Cup, AGAIN!!!

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Well, here's one solution...
housefire5.gif

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
pir8dan

2004 TJ Wrangler 

wow that's harsh not the house burning down but driving 6 hours and droppin coin for nothin I believe another 6 hour trip would be in order that would be an expensive engine sale for him if he wouldn't pony up a refund plus gas

I'm just saying...

“We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it.”
- Nessmuk (1920). Woodcraft and Camping.
pir8dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
bobjp

You can make it work using your old parts, but I would not be happy about it. Makes me wonder what other lies he told. Like the number of miles, whether it leaks, or runs at all.

Even if you decide to keep it, revenge is in order.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
LukeADukes
2001 TJ Wrangler 

So you have been talking to this guy how do you know him? Did you answer an ad off craigslist? Do you have a copy of the craigslist ad saying the year / model of the donor car you're supposed to receive? If you have it in writing you can easily take him to court for a bait and switch. If you met this guy because you know a guy who told you to talk to this guy....and it was all verbal it will be much harder. Even a text message would help. Don't just accept getting screwed time to make it right. Frankly you had enough warning signs to not trust this guy but should either get your money back or the motor you're supposed to have.
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #7
Huey
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar View Post
This was just wrong on so many levels, but funny none-the-less...

OP,

That sucks big time. I have nothing to offer but condolenses as I am not to keen on motor repairs. I hope you do get a hold of that bass tard, or at least figure out some stuff to use off of it.

Good luck!
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:43 PM   #8
grnd93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

That's the chance you take dealing with craigslist
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

It wasnt on craigslist. I put a wanted add on greatlakes4x4.com. He pm'd Me and said he had a 2000 wrangler motor with 98,000 on it. He goes by sandmaster. I read his reviews and out of 37 of them, only two were bad, and they were back in 2008. Maybe its a sign, "put a v-8 in it dummy".
Unread 12-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

XJ, ZJ and early TJ engine blocks interchange, until you have a 2000+ TJ.

TJ/WJ 4.0L Engine blocks underwent clean sheet design changes effective in the 1999 WJ Grand and 2000 TJ Wrangler. These blocks are not interchangeable with XJ/ZJ engine blocks. The reason is motor mount bolt holes and belt driven accessory mounting bolt holes are in different locations, or not present at all, TJ/WJ vs. XJ/ZJ.

Dude must not have a membership on JeepForum.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #11
97lon
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robncar
That's hilarious!
97lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #12
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

So sandmaster hits again. I am one of folks he screwed.
He has quite a following on GL4x4 for fraud and misrepresenting parts. Contact Kelly over there and let him know that sandmaster up to his old tricks.

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthr...ght=sandmaster

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthr...ght=sandmaster
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #13
2k2wranglerx
2003 TJ Wrangler 

dude that sucks
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:38 PM   #14
grnd93
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste
So sandmaster hits again. I am one of folks he screwed. He has quite a following on GL4x4 for fraud and misrepresenting parts. Contact Kelly over there and let him know that sandmaster up to his old tricks. http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthr...ght=sandmaster http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthr...ght=sandmaster
If this is the case, then go to the site admins. Better yet, post the story there.
grnd93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
rinking
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Why couldnt I have seen this info before I handed him My hard earned money. I PM'd him on greatlakes and told him I wanted My money back. I also told him I had'nt filed out his feedback yet but I was going too. Hoping that might trigger him to make it right before I rat him out.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.