Got 'perculating' in the engine. (you know, bubbling sounds like a coffee pot?) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Got 'perculating' in the engine. (you know, bubbling sounds like a coffee pot?)

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-26-2010, 01:34 PM   #1
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Got 'perculating' in the engine. (you know, bubbling sounds like a coffee pot?)

Can't figure it out.

I'm loosing coolant, somewhere.. its not dripping anywhere that I can tell. I refill about once a week. I went to change the oil, and under the oil cap was this... whitish jelly looking crud attached to the bottom. No idea what that was about. Oil was burnt black, this was about 6 months and 2500 miles past the last one.

But every time I stop and cut the engine off, I can hear it bubbling.. and it's coming from the engine block(or near it). Not the radiator.

Any ideas?

Oh, and if this is in relation to it, when I start my jeep a 'Check Gauges' light comes on and my Oil Pressure gauge is redlined, and slowly goes up as I accelerate. Once it hits the first mark, it doesn't really go anywhere.

I had the temp gauge replaced, but it continued to do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Hack work? :rofl: You just described half the modified jeeps on this board.
Erik T. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Are you very sure it's not the radiator? I had a very similar problem in my last TJ and the issue was that the radiator cap was shot, so the fluid wasn't properly pressurized and it was literally boiling. After driving it, when I parked and got out, I could hear it "perculating" (as you said - that's exactly what it sounds like). If I were you, I'd go to AutoZone and buy a new radiator cap to make sure it's not that simple.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #230[/CENTER]
ChrisTJCO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Radiator Cap? Never thought of that being an issue, I've taken if off and peeked inside to see if there was coolent. Than put it back on and the bubbling continued.

It's there any way to test the cap other than getting a new one?

Quote:
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #4
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik T. View Post
Radiator Cap? Never thought of that being an issue, I've taken if off and peeked inside to see if there was coolent. Than put it back on and the bubbling continued.

It's there any way to test the cap other than getting a new one?
Not sure if there is a way to test the radiator cap. It's like 9 bucks from AutoZone or Checkers or wherever. I'd just buy a new one. If I remember correctly, when the jeep was doing it's "perculating," I could see it bubbling in the overflow tank. I might be wrong about that, but I think that's what I remember.

I'd just replace the cap and see - if it's the problem, you've fixed it for 10 bucks.

EDIT: Not even ten bucks - 4 bucks at your local O'Reilly/Checker's.

Last edited by ChrisTJCO; 04-26-2010 at 01:54 PM.. Reason: adding link
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
OzarkOutdoors
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cracked head or busted gasket. The white jellyish crud is water in your oil.

Sorry

2008 Black JK Sahara Unlimited-Current Vehicle
325/70/17 Falken Wild Peak AT XD Addicts
2.5 inch BB, 1.25 RC Body Lift, Dual Top
s
OzarkOutdoors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
ChrisTJCO
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzarkOutdoors View Post
Cracked head or busted gasket. The white jellyish crud is water in your oil.

Sorry
Ruh-roh. Much worse than my rad. cap diagnosis....

Unread 04-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #7
EvilMonkey
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like the white stuff on the cap was coolant mixed with oil. Not good. Zero oil pressure. Not good. Combine both and you may need to replace or rebuild the engine depending on the damage. I had that combination and now have a crate engine with a Mopar warranty
EvilMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Erik T.
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Yay.

Reckon I'll just have my mechanic peek at it.

Quote:
Unread 04-27-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
SurfnSnow
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTJCO View Post
Are you very sure it's not the radiator? I had a very similar problem in my last TJ and the issue was that the radiator cap was shot, so the fluid wasn't properly pressurized and it was literally boiling. After driving it, when I parked and got out, I could hear it "perculating" (as you said - that's exactly what it sounds like). If I were you, I'd go to AutoZone and buy a new radiator cap to make sure it's not that simple.
This happened to me as well with the perculating. Recently, driving up a large grade (to Vegas and at 3k rpms) it perculated and burped coolant/fluid while on the road. The jeep never overheated and stayed right at 210 the entire drive from Vegas to Moab and all the way back. I changed the cap, added some fluid and all has been good. However with the white gunk you might have additional issues
SurfnSnow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.